Ticking Noise at Low Idle - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wile E. Coyote Jr.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Ticking Noise at Low Idle

I have no idea what is making the noise. I have had it for a about 2 months, have switched out spark plugs, plug wires, coil packs, pcv valve, and all vacuum lines. I want to say its a cat but the car isn't down on power, it actually drives like theres no issue, You cant hear it outside the car unless I am directly underneath it on the passenger side and even then I still cant find out what it is. Thank you in advance

Lurking
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Sounds like normal valvetrain or injector noise to me. Unless it gets really noisy I'd say ignore it. My 4.6 cars make the same noise. You can hear it on the right side of my interior sound clip video from right after I did my headswap between 3:28 and 3:35. Thoughts on MHS PI H/C and stock bottom end Down in post 154.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 235k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Sounds like normal valvetrain or injector noise to me. Unless it gets really noisy I'd say ignore it. My 4.6 cars make the same noise. You can hear it on the right side of my interior sound clip video from right after I did my headswap between 3:28 and 3:35. Thoughts on MHS PI H/C and stock bottom end Down in post 154.
Well when I first started driving the car it never made this noise. Does it just show up? This noise hasn't gone away since I first heard it.

Lurking
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hm, maybe some fresh oil freed up a lash adjuster or something,..

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 156k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Hm, maybe some fresh oil freed up a lash adjuster or something,..
First time I watched your video I didn't hear anything, I had to put on headphones. That sounds almost exactly like what I have, passenger side and a light tapping. Can you hear yours outside the car? I cant but I hear it if Im underneath, just don't know where from. When did yours start making that noise?

Lurking
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Maybe an exhaust leak?

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Maybe an exhaust leak?
I thought about that but the noise is the same whether its cold or warm.

Lurking
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I've had a tick like that forever. I've had my Bird since 44k miles and it has always sounded like that. Sounds like valvetrain, it doesn't bother me because I've had cars with a lot louder valvetrains than that! Now that I have SLP Loudmouths I can't hear the valvetrain lol.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
First time I watched your video I didn't hear anything, I had to put on headphones. That sounds almost exactly like what I have, passenger side and a light tapping. Can you hear yours outside the car? I cant but I hear it if Im underneath, just don't know where from. When did yours start making that noise?
You can't really hear it outside the car, but if you get up near the engine you can start to hear it a bit. It's mostly masked off by the sound of the pulleys and such up front when the hood is open. It's made that noise for as long as I can remember - with the original heads and with the MHS heads (with rebuilt everything in the valvetrain).

-Brandon

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 PM
3rd Gear Poster

My tbird makes the same noise. My thought on it is that I have a very minor exhaust leak at the manifold or one of the cats. I can smell a very small leak under the hood if I rev it up. However the modular engines are known to have some valvetrain noise. If it doesn't get and louder and stays the same between engine being cold or hot, its probably nothing to worry about.

96 Cougar Sport
96 Tbird LX
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:39 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I've always had that noise. Assumed it was normal.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear Poster

My old 97 sounded just like that and after countless hours searching my buddy pin pointed it in the trans, he though it was flywheel vibration since it only really did it at idle and with the sound scope thingy on the front of the trans you could for shur hear it from in there.
The injectors also alot of times you can hear pulse.i had some once so loud i had to change them all.

I WANT TO TRADE a 75mm throttlebody and exremly ported vic plenum and a set of 24lb injectors FOR a pi intake and alternator bracket and hopefully valleytube and nipple, pm me!!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 AM
PostWhore

The ticking at 0:06 and at 0:17? If so, I'm going to say that it's your blend door actuator.

Mine was completely FUBAR'ed when I took this video.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
The ticking at 0:06 and at 0:17? If so, I'm going to say that it's your blend door actuator.

Mine was completely FUBAR'ed when I took this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztF-vkJcwY
No, thats much louder than how mine is. Im doing research on what 94 said since the only time I only hear it outside the car if Im underneath of it.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Lurking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.