In need of intake gaskets? - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
In need of intake gaskets?

The intake manifold of my 97 Mark VIII (the off road car) has has these black marks on the intake manifold for a while now. Are they an indication that I need new gaskets on the top and bottom of the IMRC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FX2 Intake.JPG (2.36 MB, 11 views)

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Looking around- if I do need an intake gasket, it looks like the upper gasket has been unavailable for a few years now. I think for what the car is, I'll just leave well enough alone.

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:09 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
Looking around- if I do need an intake gasket, it looks like the upper gasket has been unavailable for a few years now. I think for what the car is, I'll just leave well enough alone.
I know the 97/98 Mustang Cobra IMRC is very slightly different in design, but would it's IMRC gasket work for the Mark VIII application?

Would be a good opportunity to upgrade to C style heads and intake manifold if not though, and eliminate the IMRC's entirely.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
On rock auto I'm only seeing the lower gasket available for the cobra as well. If anyone can find otherwise, please let me know. This part being unavailable is really unfortunate for anyone with a first gen 4.6 DOHC.

C heads would definitely be the fun answer, but for that car the only plans that I have are bigger tires and MAYBE a novelty low boost twin turbo setup.

Waiting on a tune.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:13 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck95 View Post
On rock auto I'm only seeing the lower gasket available for the cobra as well. If anyone can find otherwise, please let me know. This part being unavailable is really unfortunate for anyone with a first gen 4.6 DOHC.

C heads would definitely be the fun answer, but for that car the only plans that I have are bigger tires and MAYBE a novelty low boost twin turbo setup.
Have you tried www.supercoupeperformance.com? How about Mustang sites like Late Model Restoration and American Muscle?
CDsDontBurn likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
More Information for MAHLE ORIGINAL/VICTOR REINZ MS16273

Is this what you are looking for or no?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Both sides of the IMRC are available everywhere from rockauto, mmr, napa, carquest, oreillys, advanced auto, autozone listed under intake manifold gaskets and intake plenum gaskets, however if you are looking to replace the gasket from the upper intake manifold (y branch with throttle body) to the lower intake manifold, you will need to trace and cut your own from gasket material since it has been obsolete for a while now. Or you could use right stuff rtv, but you'll likely never get it back apart again as that stuff is tenacious.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.