TCCoA Forums banner

Fuel rail line replacement?

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  S4gunn 
#1 ·
I noticed one of the lines on my fuel rail has a heat spot in it, how hard is it to replace those lines? Just cut them, pull them off and replace them with high pressure rated fuel line?

#2 ·
Reactions: Woodman
#3 ·
Thanks!

Does the hose just pull off like a radiator hose would, may need a little work with a pick or something?

#4 ·
It's on a hose barb, so you need to carefully cut the old line off with a razor blade, there's no pulling it straight off. I found hose made by good year at the local auto parts store with my old grand Marquis rails. Main thing is you don't want a solid hose, the factory hose and the Goodyear hose I used have a harder inner tube inside that the actual fuel flows through - for this reason your stock rails with a heat spot is probably no biggie.

(Not my pic, stolen from google)

#5 ·
Gotcha, thank you!

#6 ·
Just to be safe, I'd recommend using two stainless steel (not cheapie HF) worm gears to hold EACH connection of hose on the barb. Also pressurize the fuel rail (key on ignition off) and inspect very closely for leaks before starting the car up the first time.

The last thing you want is for fuel to be sprayed at 40PSI on top of a hot engine.

There's also two ratings for fuel hose
J30R7 and the more expensive J30R9.
You want the R9 stuff even if it's more expensive because it's designed for the higher pressure of fuel injected systems (not the low pressure of carbed setups).

#7 ·
Thank you! I bought fuel injection rated hose, and fuel injection rated stainless gears. I will pressurize the system and check for leaks, have to anyway since I put a new fuel filter in today.

#8 ·
I used the Gates 180psi rated fuel line on my replacement stuff; I bought it on RA.

It's ~$3 a foot, in 10' lengths, lol.

That's the cheapest place I saw it.

:smile2:

#9 ·
I bought a spool of this on Amazon because I replaced the line from the rail down to the hard line from the filter as well. 225psi rated R14 and I used double fuel injection clamps at each connection.

I have a good bit left if someone needs a couple pieces.

Attachments

#10 ·
I already bought the length I need, but thank you!

#12 ·
Are you asking for pics of my work, or one of the guys that's already done it?

#13 ·
woodman

I would love to see what yours looks like installed. But i have been doing some research and that isn't really necessary. How much would you want for the remaining line with shipping to 30009. :) i can pay-pal you the money after payday. Looking at a nice major tune up including injectors, might be a good time to clean the rail stuff too.

#14 ·
I ended up not using it, bought a fuel rail for $20 or so. I can send you the whole thing for $20 shipped if you like. Shoot me a PM and I'll find where I stuck it in the garage this weekend and get it out on Monday.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.