TCCoA Forums banner

AED Question

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wildturkey 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Obviously your car sounds different after you've done the AED install but....
Does anyone know what the sound is that sort follows your RPM? At very low throttle, like just cruising slowly in a neighborhood, it's sort of constant or very fast air-being-compressed-thru-metal-tube sound and then at greater acceleration, it's more of a single,slower sound following the rate of the RPM.
Scott from AED wasn't sure what it was when I called him right after install (this was almost 3 years ago), but he thought it might the EGR transducer (? it's been so long I almost forgot what he said) transmitting sound thru the firewall since the instruction manual said to mount it on the firewall and stock, it's on the block.
Does everyone else have this noise? And has anyone taken any measures to dampen/rid it?
I don't mind it much. Like I said I've had the blower on since spring of '00. I just happen to notice it this morning because I didn't have my stereo on and wanted to see what you smart guys had to say about it.

Allen
Moore, OK

#4 ·
Yes...

First, you need to brace the AED plenum cover with your hand on it while the engine is at idle. Did the sound stop?

Yes: You're SOL. That's normal.
No: Loosen the screws mounting the EGR pressure transducer to the firewall. Or remove the transducer and mount it behind a rubber insulator to keep it off the bulk head. The sound you're hearing occurs mostly when cold right?

A-Train

#5 ·
Think I got it.

I also sent an email to AED and Scott answered back with putting a grommet behind the EGR transducer. Haven't done it yet but will.
Thanks A-Train
Allen

#6 ·
Yes, I realize I am bringing up a post from 14 years ago.... :)

Interestingly enough, I now own this car and have noticed this exact same noise is still present, just as Allen described. Perhaps he never got around to installing that grommet behind the EGR Transducer. I'm going to give that a look this week and see what happens.

Also.... does anyone with the Allen kit notice that there seems to be a lot of pulley and belt noise? I've replaced the belt, all the idler pulleys and the tension unit, yet it sounds the same. It doesn't seem as if something is actually broken (bearing going out, for example), but more like an old engine that happily chugs along in an old beater, if you know what I mean. I'm wondering if there is some issue with pulley and belt alignment given the Allen kit, and what might be options to address this, other than to pull the whole thing off and go back to stock (which has been very tempting this past month).

Thomas

#7 ·
So I thought I would provide an update in the off-chance someone else searches for this at a later date or is having the same issue.

The noise that Allen was describing and that I also experienced turned out to be related to a bad alternator. I had noticed an intermittent charging issue, so I swapped the alternator from my 1996 and the noise also went away. It wasn't feeding back through the audio system like you would normally think of, but seemed to be the unit itself as it got hot. It now makes a similar noise being on my 1996.

The pulley and belt noise remains. The intermittent chirp has gotten better since replacing the alternator, but still remains. It also seems like something is causing more drag than it should. The blower turns over freely by hand, as does the alternator. Since I've replaced the tension and idler pulleys, I'm suspecting that AC Compressor or PS Pump might be causing excessive drag. I'll have to pull the belt and inspect. Yet another problem with this basket case that I bought.

#8 ·
I'm running into some belt issues. Very distinct "chirp" as Thomas describes. My tensioner bounce's at idle so I'm thinking there is drag somewhere on each revolution. Initial guess is an idler or alt. I'll update when I figure it out.

#9 ·
A friend of mine brought his Mark VIII over to find out why his belts were chirping. I thought it might be his crankshaft pulley,(Disclaimer Keep in mind this could be dangerous) so I took a small hook style pick and cleaned the grooves as the engine ran. That made it better but did not remove the chirping completely. Next, I had a Gator Back belt that I bought a couple years back and we shall see if that works. I wilget updates on that later.

I am currently using a Gator Back belt on my AED car and it has held up for over 16 months, so far. In the past, I have replaced the belt annually.
How did they use to advertised, "Gator Back, The Quiet Belt"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.