TCCoA Forums banner

Q: What's the threading on the female bung on my passenger side 5.0 exhaust manifold?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Grog6 
#1 ·
I think this is the where the EGR or the smog pump connected to the exhaust manifold but I'm not 100% sure since it's been quite a while since I had a complete smog-legal tbird in my possession to review.

For the 5.0 engine currently in my track car, I took whatever pipe was there on the donor car, cut it down, and welded a cap onto it.

For my backup engine, I think I sold the matching pipe to someone so I have nothing that fits that bung perfectly.

Please let me know what I'm looking for to block off this port.

I've tried a 1/2" NPT plug and it's just a hair too small in diameter.
It may work if I make a copper gasket from scrap
copper wire beaten flat + seal it with copper RTV but that's not the ideal solution. That will be my backup plan unless you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards,
-g

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#2 ·
I just happen to have an 5.0 MN12 EGR Pipe here.. :D I measured the end that threads into the Passenger Side header..It comes out to roughly .85 inches which translates to 1/2-14 NPT..In this case since it's getting threaded into a hole..You need a 1/2" MNPT Pipe Plug..I like this style with the hex head:

This one should work nicely-->>1/2" MNPT Pipe Plug:thumbsup:

Rayo..
I've tried a 1/2" NPT plug and it's just a hair too small in diameter.
Yeap.

#4 ·
So I lost one of my Smog bung plugs in my last lemons race so I need to cap one/both of them again.
My last bungs were made from the stock Smog pipe (cut down and plugged).

Q: Does anyone have the proper threading for these parts? If not, I'll do what paul suggests by plug and welding it on.

Right not, the spare bung plug is shoved in and tack welded on. I'm sure the threads are all screwed up by now.

I'd rather not pull the exhaust manifold off the car (it's wrapped all nicely) but I guess I'll have to do so.

-g

#5 ·
For some reason, I just spent a bit laughing uproariously at this completely innocent post.

I heard Beavis reading it to me, and it went downhill from there.

#6 ·
EGR Pipe Delete

I deleted my entire EGR system last Summer..What I found was kind of interesting..
I mean the size of the threads on the female bung on the passenger side 5.0 exhaust manifold..
It turns out, they are pipe thread...Just not American Pipe Thread..British actually..

I didn't know such a thing existed until I started poking around at the hardware store..

Anyways, the size is 5/8-14

I used this one-->>JMF 5/8in Flare Plug (41212)

The way the EGR Pipe is installed is similar to say brake fittings..With the Inverted Flare being how it seals..

Using a Die Grinder..I removed the sleeve that protrudes into the inside of the collector..
I opted to remove mine so the plug would sit further into the bung hole..lol

If you ever planned on reinstalling the EGR Pipe, I would advice against removing that sleeve that protrudes into the inside of the collector..
Otherwise, your pipe won't seal..

Here are the pics:

Rayo..

#8 ·
The fittings on the side of the 4r70W are BPST: British Pipe Straight Thread.

Tube threads (tube ends) fit BPST better than NPST, why, IDK. :) You'd think they'd be NPST.

NPT(M or F) is National Pipe Taper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.