I just got my GT40 heads back from the machine shop and started the head installation tonight. Since it's been well over a year since I last reassembled a head, I stopped tonight before actually bolting everything down because I wanted to review a few things with you folks (as well as re-check my old DIYs -- not much info there) and other 302 head gasket DIYs.
- Scraped the block surface to remove all residue with a fresh razor.
- I then went over the entire surface with brake cleaner on a cloth to remove any residue until a wipe wouldn't bring up any dirt/oil. A faint hint of blue color from the gasket remains at some corners but nothing is near the cyl rings. IMO, this is as clean as it's going to get without pulling the engine and taking the block into the shop (not going to happen).
- I also wiped the cyl wals
- Dowels are now in place, HG placed down with the FRONT side aimed forward, and cyl head is sitting in the right spot.
- There is nothing in the shop manual but I kind of recall Dan instructing me to dip all of the Felpro HG bolts in oil before assembly. The felpro instructions mention oiling the underside of every bolt head.
Q: Am I correct in that I need to oil these new head bolts before isntallation?
- The Felpro instructions also mention using a non-setting sealer for all bolts that go into the coolant passages (for my 302, this is all 4 short bolts on each side). Apparently, this is to prevent future coolant leakages.
I do NOT remember this step at all. The Felpro bolts already come with some white stuff on the short bolts.
Q: Is the Felpro preinstalled white stuff what they want (the Ford shop manual mentions sealer setting in 15 min) or do I need to buy something else?
This DIY mentions Permatex Form-a-gasket 2 b/c is remains sticky and doesn't harden. Since the Permatex black/RTV stuff hardens, I guess that stuff is out as well.
Head Gasket Replacement
This Felpro instruction mentions that since bolts sets are application specific, they already coat the ones necessary. Please confirm though.
Proper installation and use of T-T-Y Bolts - Fel-Pro Only
Q: Does this mean I need to rub some oil on the underside of the head bolts and then some of this permatex goo on the threads over the white stuff? Or just oil above the white stuff on the bolts?
The torque instructions seem fairly straightforward from here on out and the ones supplied by Felpro match the ones in the shop manual. Any 302 specific suggestions here (I think it the second step was to 55LB/ft and then for the last go-around you tighten another 1/4 turn for each bolt). I seem to recall for the 3.8 V6 Dan told me to use the SC block tightening specs but I dont' recall anything special for my 302.
Please advise. Thanks in advance for the guidance here. I hope to have the heads on tomorrow so I can proceed to getting the car back together in advance of my race in 3 weeks.