EGR wiring help!!! - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Question EGR wiring help!!!

Guys, I had to put a new EGR connector on the car as I broke the tab on the old one.

I'm not 100% sure I put the wires back correctly. Can ANYONE with a 5.0 check yours to see if I'm correct???

This is the colors of the wires...at least as best as I can describe them. I think the black & white wire is faded, but I think it was originally black & white

Spot #1 is towards the driver's side. #3 is facing straight up. #2 is towards the ground.

Right now I have:
Black & white in #1 (this actually should be brown and white)
Brown & green in #2
Grey & red in #3

Is that correct. My automatic HVAC was acting very weird before I settled on this arrangement, the doors would flap shut and raising the temp wouldn't cause the fan to turn on... it seems to be working fine now though.

Thanks!!!
N

Last edited by Natesriv; 03-18-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Guys, I have the full set of shop manuals. Here's the callout on the drawing... The EGR connectors are shown...with wiring colors (different than what I said above...old wires!)..

So what do you think?? I really need help here guys, my auto climate control won't work. It works manually, but won't turn on run in auto...

The brown and green goes to #1
The grey and red goes to #2
The brown and white goes to #3 (I call it black & white)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Found an image for a 92 Mustang GT... Did Ford just use different wire colors at random?
This looks close... I see the brown/green is marked for #2, they call #1 Black & white and #2 is orange & white, which I DON'T have...

I'm running out of ideas guys....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Nobody with a 5.0 has a few minutes to snap me a pic?

And just thinking now, does this EGR have ANYTHING to do with my auto climate control.... I don't know why I'm thinking that....

Last edited by Natesriv; 03-19-2017 at 09:19 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
I don't have a 5.0, so I'm not much help.

I know on my car, when I moved the climate controls to the lowest stack location I popped a line off behind the dashboard, which forced all the air up through the defroster. The whole system is run off of vaccuum, which does tie into the EGR. So... since you have the diagram, I'd trace the lines, make sure you have no leaks and that the colors do actually correspond to the locations listed.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
no leaks as far as I know. I had to take out the unit to put in new lights for the burnt out ones..

I think I have the right colors. I posted on a Mustang site and I'm being told I'm correct.

I MAY have damaged the EVP on top of the EGR, but I can buy a new one and pop that on..

I suspect my auto climate control just may be old and done...

I can use manual and that's not a problem..

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
EGR will have zero effect on climate control. Sorry don't know the pinout, that connector is different on 4.6 cars.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
no leaks as far as I know. I had to take out the unit to put in new lights for the burnt out ones..

I think I have the right colors. I posted on a Mustang site and I'm being told I'm correct.

I MAY have damaged the EVP on top of the EGR, but I can buy a new one and pop that on..

I suspect my auto climate control just may be old and done...

I can use manual and that's not a problem..

If you moved the unit, one of the lines popped off. Possibly not at the connector, but under the dash. If all the air is going through the defrost, it's the one that goes up behind the gauges. I had a leak on mine behind the glove box, pushing it back onto the nipple fixed it. Trace them, find where it's loose/off, problem solved.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:

And just thinking now, does this EGR have ANYTHING to do with my auto climate control.... I don't know why I'm thinking that....
Been a bit busy, yes.

And no, it doesn't.

RwP

Fuelly
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I put it back to the OEM way with some help here and Stang.net The climate system appears to be working okay. Does that sun load sensor determine how strong the fan comes on?

All's good guys! Thanks!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
I put it back to the OEM way with some help here and Stang.net The climate system appears to be working okay. Does that sun load sensor determine how strong the fan comes on?

All's good guys! Thanks!
The FSM and EVTM go into all that; but yes, it does have an effect on it.

Here, we end up usually overriding the fan speed to keep it where WE like it.

RwP

Fuelly
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

If the system held the egr wide open at idle, it could drop the vacuum enough to cause problems, I suppose.

If changing the wiring connections changes the issue, then it can affect it, I'd say, lol.

And yes, the sun load sensor will kick up the fan if it's sunny.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Garage
when it was wired incorrectly the climate control wouldn't turn on unless at max temp or min temp. Move it off that and you'd hear one of the doors in the HVAC slam shut. Once I verified I had it set up correctly I disconnected the battery, put the wires in the right spot and reconnected the battery, everything was fine.
I'm wondering, with all the different iterations I'd "confused" the climate system... so a reboot seemed to fix it.
This morning, temps in the 50's it ran just fine. Car seems to be running just fine, no codes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.