TCCoA Forums banner

Found major gas line crimp / restriction

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CDsDontBurn 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I had a buddy with a hoist the the car in the air I thought I noticed the gas line right after the fuel filter crimped where it is supposed to bend at the firewall when I did the filter .
We got on hoist and someone over the course of a repair attempted to lift the car with a floor jack right by the fuel line after the filter and crimped the line pretty damn good I'd say 3/4 crimped. My buddy said this is a sure good cause as to why you would be having minimal power and likely the reason why the car can't break loose .
I'll post some photos for opinion .
Does anyone know where I can get that whole line assembly from after fuel filter to the fuel rail .
Secondly I need a fuel filter OEM bracket they sorta just ran a plastic clip to hold the line up before and after the filter I want to make that right also
I looked on rock auto Is it a dorman 800055 800056 or 800051 for the whole line assembly . If someone can post what I need I have no idea what I'm looking for and don't want to order the wrong line or end up with just fittings .
And can the line be purchased locally at a Napa or O'Reilly?
After looking calling Napa all these places are of course saying fuel lines these days aren't really sold as a OEM whole assembly they have repair kits but I don't know what to do where it's crimped because that's steel line at that point of the assembly. Or do I have to eliminate the steel line and run plastic line and quick connect right after the fuel filter all the way to the fuel rail

Would this type of crimp be enough to pose a issue obviously no crimp is good and should be fixed for performance but is there enough pressure still to get past that crimp or would you say this is definitely a good indication why I may have hesitation on starting and no good power and wot from a stand still

Attachments

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#3 ·
Mine didn't look that bad, and wouldn't run over idle, lol.

#2 ·
My fuel lines at the same spot are crimped like that too from running over a small boulder or snow.

I believe the Dorman lines are just replacement that go from the filter and then you would need a hose-barb compression fitting to connect to the rest of the fuel line.

Best bet is to either hit a junkyard and pull the line from the filter to fuel rail or use a flaring tool and replace the section.

#5 ·
So all I'm gathering from the last 2 replies is just cause it's crimped dont mean anything you can have a 3/4 fully crimped line and still have sufficient fuel pressure. Seems like Even tho it's crimped I ought not suspect that will cause any power loss . If that's the case that sucks I was hoping this is why I hate this car .

#6 ·
Have you run a compression test and a leakdown test yet? That motor may just be old and tired due to previous owner's (lack of) maintenance.

RwP

#7 ·
I've already released fuel from the Schrader valve on fuel rail it works .
Car starts car drives car just can't break a tire loose for the life of itself and it should be able to regardless of age .It made sense that this could be it secondly Im not getting any response on what I should do to repair it in the most effective and safe way. Flare the line after the crimp and add a section or add new plastic line after the crimp .
I have no idea what's available for this exact spot where it's bent and what's safe to do and not to do. If it was me I'd remove the crimped area and clamp a 4" rubber gas line .. something tells me that the fuel psi will push right past and leak from a gas line hose section.

#8 ·
Well, if you use EFI hose, it won't blow out. Do remember, there's rubber hose up at the motor end ...

Also, why should it be able to break the tires free?

If it does, you're wasting horsepower; it should put it down and motivate the car down the road.

If it's got the TrakLok (LSD) in it, you'll have an even harder time due to the need to torque both wheels enough.

Plus, it's a 2 ton vehicle; 200 horsepower won't break the wheels free if the tires are gripping good, not with the factory 3.08 gears.

RwP

#11 ·
Well, how does the car run now?

Al

#12 ·
No changes still a sedated crusier lol...only other thing I can think of is the old mercon that's never been changed had worn out the torque converter friction modifiers are gone ...but I get no slippage. I'm Just gonna settle with the fact it's a 200hp high mile motor that still runs good regardless if I'm itching for power. Maybe smog delete will help some .

#13 ·
You can always change the gears from 3.08 to 3.73 and do nothing else if you want to break the wheels loose.

Reactions: Grog6
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.