94-95 Mustang GT Manual ECM in 91-93 MN12 - Page 3 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 06:20 AM

Yes, Massachusetts does require the air pump, but I took a list at your pinout list and it looks like pin 31 controls the air pump and it appears to be supported by the 94/94 computer.
post #62 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS
Yes, Massachusetts does require the air pump, but I took a list at your pinout list and it looks like pin 31 controls the air pump and it appears to be supported by the 94/94 computer.
Cool. Sounds like it's worth investigating. You will want the T4M0 or J4J1 (Cobra) catch code to start.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Coast High Peformance 342 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Built Darrin/dirtyd0g AOD with wide ratio gearset
dirtyd0g 9.5" Custom Torque Converter
Quarterhorse ECM from Moates
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
No times under new system.......yet.
OMGHI2U

post #63 of 160 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 08:27 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan
Cool. Sounds like it's worth investigating. You will want the T4M0 or J4J1 (Cobra) catch code to start.
I've got a T4M0 for sale. PM me for more info.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #64 of 160 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:32 AM
PostWhore

If you don't need datalogging try http://moates.net/ . EEC Editor and Tunerpro support the t4mo [cbaza .def]. I just spent $175 shipped for everything to burn a chip. Future chips will be $55. Plus I can use the BURN1 hardware to burn gm proms. The learning curve is about the same as with a tweecer. Download the software and see if you can figure it out.

So far only the smog stuff eliminated, manifold size, throttle body airflow, timing [93 octane], rpm and speed limiters have been altered. By flipping a switch I can go to a tune with stock timing for cheap gas. No check engine lights with the egr unplugged! Before, the egr was just sitting there with the vacuum and sensor hooked up- no place for it to bolt up on my intake.

Runs alot better part throttle. For some reason it takes alot less pedal to get up to speed and stay there. I noticed my stft @ idle went to -6. It was hovering around 0 before. More timing means less air and fuel to maintain idle? Could just be a different tank of gas though Wide open is the same or maybe better???? Today I'm installing the freebie 24 lb injectors from a buddy's junked 460 I'm going to try an almost stock j4j1 Cobra tune at first. I want all the bugs worked out before introducing a bigger change- 342 with bigger cam.

Now I'm looking to buy a chip emulator, a Ford adapter for it and a laptop. With the emu I could make real time changes or even enter a whole new bin with the engine running. That option will be $215 + whatever a laptop costs. The emulator would also work on gm products and hondas with a proper adapter. It's easy enough removing the chip and taking it inside to burn it, but the j3 port will wear out eventually

With this approach, once a final tune is reached I can just leave the chip in place and forget it.

originally posted by MaddMartigan
Quote:
However, if you aren't up to tuning this yourself, you might be better off going this route and just having Lonnie Doll create a program for you and sending you the chip.
UPDATE... OMG my car is way faster and smoother. I put those 24lb'rs in and copied all the j4j1 tables and scalars to my t4mo bin. For some reason the j4j1 bin gave me a rom checksum error code, so I didn't use it. Going with a fox style intake was a godsend today in the hot shop. I had that sucker purring within 30 minutes.

Last edited by icantdrive55; 07-15-2006 at 08:28 PM.
post #65 of 160 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
PostWhore

I have a question about the ccrm on a '94/95 Mustang. My diagram shows the 2 relays and a solid state control that runs them.

Does the computer shut off the low speed relay when high speed kicks in? Or is that a function of the solid state edf relay control?

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to run both speeds at the same time?

I'm assuming a 4.6 tbird would function the same way as the mustang, if anyone knows.

On a side note my '98 MarkVIII fan is drawing 50 amps. Draws 35 when out of the car. The thicker radiator seems too restrictive to airflow. Paid $107.00 delivered for a '94-'97 tbird fan. That sucker only draws 30 amps no matter what. The motor is much smaller with the same housing and blade. The actual blade adapter is different though. I might just use the 2 speed feature of the tbird fan.
post #66 of 160 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantdrive55
I have a question about the ccrm on a '94/95 Mustang. My diagram shows the 2 relays and a solid state control that runs them.

Does the computer shut off the low speed relay when high speed kicks in? Or is that a function of the solid state edf relay control?

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to run both speeds at the same time?

I'm assuming a 4.6 tbird would function the same way as the mustang, if anyone knows.

On a side note my '98 MarkVIII fan is drawing 50 amps. Draws 35 when out of the car. The thicker radiator seems too restrictive to airflow. Paid $107.00 delivered for a '94-'97 tbird fan. That sucker only draws 30 amps no matter what. The motor is much smaller with the same housing and blade. The actual blade adapter is different though. I might just use the 2 speed feature of the tbird fan.
Honestly I couldn't tell you since I chose to go a different route and not have the ECM control my fan.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #67 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Veteran Poster

well looks like I'am in on this band wagon too I got the maf and eec in the car now and the tweecer should be here next week right after christmas. I feel right now and before I put the new eec in the car it has been running really rich and I feels at about 3200 rpms it surges more power. I was reading in mm&ff this month that cai with put the maf way off so I'am thinking thats whats going on with mine as of now and no emisions hooked up will do it too from what I read. but now when it warms up it just stalls and between shifts it hangs too long.

The junk yard told me that the v6 mafs are the same as v8 for mustangs is this true?
And another thing my eec has the catch code t4mo and yet someone wrote 94 305 5spd on it

93 LX: 89 SC rear sway, Tokico drop kit, JBA headers,ported and polished Edle Brock intake,ported e7's, E303 cam, Cold air intake,75mm TB,03 Lmaf, TwEECed T4M0, smog pump & ac delete, under drive pulleys, msd 6a, 1.7 ratio roller rockers, electric fan, 3.27 trac lok, 5spd, aluminum drive shaft, digital cluster converted to analog and it works!
post #68 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinthrup
The junk yard told me that the v6 mafs are the same as v8 for mustangs is this true?
I wouldn't trust them. They may swap physically but I doubt they are the same.

Quote:
And another thing my eec has the catch code t4mo and yet someone wrote 94 305 5spd on it
That's what you want. The 94-95 Mustang automatics were AOD-E and we don't need that transmission control in our AOD cars. You want the 5 speed computer.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #69 of 160 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Veteran Poster

yeah them guys at the junk yard are dumb one was arguing with me about how none of the ford maf have a slip joint on both sides i told him that i unbolted mine from the air box and it had a slip on the other side too and he said i was wrong what ever. but i just put the sensor it self in my houseing i've got from a 94 bird they look the same.

93 LX: 89 SC rear sway, Tokico drop kit, JBA headers,ported and polished Edle Brock intake,ported e7's, E303 cam, Cold air intake,75mm TB,03 Lmaf, TwEECed T4M0, smog pump & ac delete, under drive pulleys, msd 6a, 1.7 ratio roller rockers, electric fan, 3.27 trac lok, 5spd, aluminum drive shaft, digital cluster converted to analog and it works!
post #70 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Veteran Poster

i orderd my tweecer almost three weeks ago and still don't have it. so time will tell

post #71 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 5.0 bird
I have a question about the 94-95 Cobra ECM. What I'm wondering about is, since a 94-5 GT ecm works in a bird, would a 94-95 Cobra ecm work if I upgrade to 24lb injectors and the ford 70mm MAF? Also those are code J4J1 aren't they?

Matt

1986 Cougar 5.0

1989 Mk VII LSC 5 speed (sold)

1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0 (sold)
post #72 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 bird
I have a question about the 94-95 Cobra ECM. What I'm wondering about is, since a 94-5 GT ecm works in a bird, would a 94-95 Cobra ecm work if I upgrade to 24lb injectors and the ford 70mm MAF? Also those are code J4J1 aren't they?
If you upgrade to 24lb. injectors and put in the MAF from a 94-95 Mustang Cobra then it should work fine. Otherwise you will need to get it tuned to manage the different MAF.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #73 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
6th Gear Poster

Are you saying that the Cobra uses a different MAF than a GT?

Matt

1986 Cougar 5.0

post #74 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

*If* (I say if because I haven't looked into it) the Cobra came with 24lb. injectors then the MAF will have a different transfer function. In theory, it may have had the same housing size and possibly even the same sensor but the ECM was most likely set up to use it differently. As Lonnie has said before, if you are going to change MAFs between model years/models, count on needing a tune to make it work properly.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #75 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

Quote:
The Cobra and GT use the same maf.

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #76 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 PM
PostWhore

The '92 Crown Vic uses the exact same maf as a '94/'95 Mustang GT and Cobra. Might be an easier find and possibly cheaper if buying used. Mine was 20 bucks.
post #77 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The '92 Crown Vic uses the exact same maf as a '94/'95 Mustang GT and Cobra. Might be an easier find and possibly cheaper if buying used. Mine was 20 bucks.
Again, the connector may be the same and the housing may be the same but I wouldn't count on the transfer function in the CV ECM matching the one in the Mustang ECM. It may be fairly close but it's going to suck when you start trying to tune the car and you have to completely tune your baseline transfer function because it's not correct and starts sliding exponentially out f tune for every change you make.

But, jump right in there. Trial and error is always inexpensive and safe as well as loads of fun.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #78 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
PostWhore

Ok, let me word that differently. If you buy a reman at O'Reilly or Advance or Ford those 3 applications have the same part #.

Here is the Ford # stamped on the sensor F2Vf12B579A1A . That is the number that says how the sensor is calibrated. Just make sure you have that # on it and you have a '94/'95 Mustang mass air sensor.

Mitchell shows the '92 CV having the F2Vf12B579A1A and Alldata shows the '92 as having part # F07Z12B579AARM. Both show the '93/'94 CV having the same sensor as a '94/'95 Mustang gt or cobra.

Mine came from a '92 CV and is stamped F2Vf12B579A1A.

From what I gather some early '92 CV's had an aod and the F0 sensor. With an aod-E the F2 sensor was used.

The sensor is exactly the same but of course the computer is different

I double checked that part# on my car and with Mitchell at work. That number Alldata [which I have at home] gave is either a typo or wrong. The proper# is f2vf-12b579-a1a

Last edited by icantdrive55; 01-23-2007 at 07:03 PM.
post #79 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Ok, let me word that differently. If you buy a reman at O'Reilly or Advance or Ford those 3 applications have the same part #.

Here is the Ford # stamped on the sensor F2VZ12B579AARM . That is the number that says how the sensor is calibrated. Just make sure you have that # on it and you have a '94/'95 Mustang mass air sensor.

Mitchell shows the '92 CV having the F2VZ12B579AARM and Alldata shows the '92 as having part # F07Z12B579AARM. Both show the '93/'94 CV having the same sensor as a '94/'95 Mustang gt or cobra.

Mine came from a '92 CV and is stamped F2VZ12B579AARM.

From what I gather some early '92 CV's had an aod and the F0 sensor. With an aod-E the F2 sensor was used.

The sensor is exactly the same but of course the computer is different

Ok, that sounds fine. The biggest question would really be whether or not the transfer function was the same between the two vehicles or at least very close.

The bottom line is whether or not it works. I would think that you would want everything in line perfectly before you started adding bolt on parts to give more performance. The added parts will theoretically increase efficiency which could skew the transfer function a good bit if it weren't right on.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #80 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 PM
PostWhore

The transfer function is totally different between the t4mo and j4j1. Different injectors, airflow ect.. with the same exact airflow meter.

Even though the meter will put out the same voltage at the same airflow they adjusted the transfer curve. Let's say I install a L-maf on my 302. The factory L-maf transfer could be adjusted to run better. It's just a shortcut to a better tune.

I noticed gains w.o.t. at first when falling for the 70mm housing swap with the stock tbird computer. Then the adaptive memory took over and screwed it all up. I don't know for sure but the transfer function for the '94 tbird might not have worked right without adjusting other variables.

Really the only reason to swap to a Mustang computer is to be able to tune it yourself with some of the free software and cheap hardware available. The free software doen't support the tbird computers.
post #81 of 160 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Really the only reason to swap to a Mustang computer is to be able to tune it yourself with some of the free software and cheap hardware available. The free software doen't support the tbird computers.

DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #82 of 160 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 08:05 PM
6th Gear Poster

Well, I did it. I have upgraded to a 94-5 Cobra ECM, 24# injectors, and a 70mm MAF. I can also tune pretty much anyway I want if needed now. I do have all of this installed, and so far it seems to be doing fine on the stock tune. Off idle response is better, the idle is smoother, and I can definitely feel an increase in power

I went to Advance Auto Parts and ordered pn: 78-5922. It's an ECM for a 95 Cobra. It came and I noticed there was a white sticker over where Ford usually put their catch code sticker. I carefully peeled it off and sure enough, underneath was Ford's sticker! It's a remanned real Cobra ECM pn: F4ZF-12A650-JB Code J4J1.

I decided to make a hybrid MAF like dwinthrup did. I went to O'reilly's and bought pn: 74-9508, which is a MAF for a 94-5 Mustang GT, 94-5 Mustang Cobra, or a 92 Crown Vic. I then put the Mustang sensor (pn: F2VF-12B579-AA) in a 70mm housing from a 94 4.6 Thunderbird I found at the yard. (To be sure, I compared the two housings side by side, and the Thunderbird housing is nearly identical in diameter to the Mustang's)

I ordered the injectors from Summit.

Matt

1986 Cougar 5.0

post #83 of 160 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Excellent. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #84 of 160 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Poster

so let me get this straight please, since there were so many times that the thread went off the subject and i couldnt read clear enough cuz i have a headache,

basically, the ECM off a 94-95 GT FIVE-OH will bolt up to a 91-93 T-PIGEON 5.0, the only drawback is, if you have an SC, like i have, you will lose the ARC and something else right?

and this is just to allow for better tuning right? you can still use your code reader with-out any problems right?

the reason i am asking is because i will be dropping in a FIVE-OH from a 91-93 T-PIGEON into my 1990 SC with a broken crank, and i mean if it gives better results than i can just spend the extra money on these goodies...
post #85 of 160 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 PM
PostWhore

It only benifits if you are going to be doing your own tuning with EEC Tuner or Tweecker software.

www.blueovalchips.com
lonnie@blueovalchips.com
1992 5.0 Thunderbird Sport, 328 rwhp 347 rwtq
1995 Mark VIII, 287 rwhp 305 rwtq

I have seen the truth and it makes no sense
post #86 of 160 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Poster

of course i am, but thats what i needed to be clarified on, it will just lose the ARC right and you will still be able to scan codes, thanks.
post #87 of 160 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged_v6
of course i am, but thats what i needed to be clarified on, it will just lose the ARC right and you will still be able to scan codes, thanks.
That is correct. You will lose ARC and the digital dash (if you have it). You will still be able to scan codes. If you plan on switching your SC over to a 5.0 then you probably don't care about ARC anyway.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #88 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 07:04 AM

I have been following this thread for some time and it has been quite helpful. There is one question which I can't find an answer for. I have a 92 302/stroked to 347, 5 speed. I have the T4M0 computer, I have a 95 Cobra intake and throttle body, I have a 94/95 GT/Cobra MAF, sensor P/N F2VF-12B579-A1A. These are not all from the same car. If all these parts look correct then what size injectors were stock with this setup, 19# or 24#. Thanks, Harry
post #89 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
I have been following this thread for some time and it has been quite helpful. There is one question which I can't find an answer for. I have a 92 302/stroked to 347, 5 speed. I have the T4M0 computer, I have a 95 Cobra intake and throttle body, I have a 94/95 GT/Cobra MAF, sensor P/N F2VF-12B579-A1A. These are not all from the same car. If all these parts look correct then what size injectors were stock with this setup, 19# or 24#. Thanks, Harry
Ok, the MAF is the key component here. Depending on what software you are using, you can load the J4J1 calibration and that will tell you what the stock injectors were. However, if what you have listed is accurate then the GT and Cobra were the same basic setup and they came with 19# injectors. If you are using Tweecer software then you can just use the J4J1 stock tune and figure it out based on what it says.

In any event, it doesn't really matter if you are using tuning software. You just put the MAF curve in place for the MAF you have and then put the injector size in place for the injectors you have and tune from there.

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
OMGHI2U

post #90 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 PM

I have a EEC wiring diagram from a Mustang website for a 94/95 5.0, there is no further identification and no computer number is called out. This diagram matches your chart for the EEC pinout except it shows pin 38 wired to a Barometric Pressure sensor, you show no connection. Do you know if the Mustang does indeed use a BP sensor and does the T4M0 support this. I think if it does this would help the driveability of the car. Thanks, HarryS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.