94-95 Mustang GT Manual ECM in 91-93 MN12 - Page 6 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLINTHUNDER View Post
I know there hasn't been a post on here in a while but I've got 2 questions. I just picked up my TM40 mainly for controlling an electric fan set up. I couldn't find a write up for that and was wondering if anyone knew exactly how to do that? Second is that I know the stock 92 maf wont work. I have from my other bird an 03 mustang gt maf. Will that be too big and if so is there any car I can get a maf from that will work? Already did the M5R2 swap. Thanks guys!
Pins 32 and 55 are the high and low fan control leads. I haven't looked at the ECM harness to see if there actually a wire on those pins on our cars but they are what you want if you want to wire in to stock ECM fan control. I bought a separate fan controller to run my MK8 fan so I haven't approached that angle. I'm sure that it could be done but don't know how to do it.

You'll need to get a piggy back tuning product like the Moates Quarterhorse to tune this anyway so you should be able to get any MAF to work as long as you can get a MAF Transfer Function that's close to the stock 92 MAF. Check with Decipha on getting it tuned to your stock MAF. If you aren't doing significant upgrades to the engine then the stock MAF would work fine. If you are then it appears that the most common upgrade is to a 90mm L-MAF (Lightning MAF) and the starting point for transfer function is something that can be easily found.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Coast High Peformance 342 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Built Darrin/dirtyd0g AOD with wide ratio gearset
dirtyd0g 9.5" Custom Torque Converter
Quarterhorse ECM from Moates
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
No times under new system.......yet.
OMGHI2U

post #152 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Poster

Thanks Madd. I will just use my stock maf for now then until I start upgrading. I'll try to find an electric fan wiring diagram from like a 94+ bird to use as a reference and see if that works.
post #153 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Madd. I will just use my stock maf for now then until I start upgrading. I'll try to find an electric fan wiring diagram from like a 94+ bird to use as a reference and see if that works.
That would be a good start. I'm guessing that if you go to a 94-95 Mustang fan wiring then you would see what it actually takes. I'm guessing that there is some kind of relay that you'll connect the two wires to that will serve the purpose but I never looked into it.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX
Coast High Peformance 342 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.73 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
Built Darrin/dirtyd0g AOD with wide ratio gearset
dirtyd0g 9.5" Custom Torque Converter
Quarterhorse ECM from Moates
Zeitronix ZT-2 WB O2
No times under new system.......yet.
OMGHI2U

post #154 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Poster

Plugged in the new ecu and it fired right up. Have to say, it smoothed the idle out pretty good! Still trying to find a wiring diagram for the efan.
post #155 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:15 PM
̇

Garage
E-Fan Diagrams

The 94-95 (5.0) Mustangs used a CCRM..
Which contains High Speed and Low Speed (Cooling Fan) Relays, along with a few other Relays..

The Mustang PCM gathers information from various sensors..Then it sends that information to the CCRM..
Then the CCRM turns on/off the (Cooling Fan) as well as switching from low/high speed..

The 91-93 (5.0) MN12 does not have a CCRM..

Also, Since the 91-93 (5.0) MN12 never came with a stock E-Fan..It never came with any (Cooling Fan) Relays..

That is not to say that you couldn't add Relays..Then use the Mustang PCM to control the (Cooling Fan) functions..

Here is a diagram that bypasses the CCRM, by using 2 separate Relays for the High/Low functions of the (Cooling Fan):

Typically 40 Amp Relays are sufficient in a set-up like this, however if you decide to use a Mark VIII fan you need heavier duty Relays..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #156 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Poster

Thanks Rayo. That bypass diagram will help a lot! One question. In that diagram, what lets the computer know to kick the fans on?
post #157 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:51 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Rayo. That bypass diagram will help a lot! One question. In that diagram, what lets the computer know to kick the fans on?
I just noticed this post..Ok, to answer your question..

Like the (5.0) MN12, the (5.0) SN95 has the ECT Sensor mounted in the Heater Tubes..

The ECT Sensor on the MN12 Heater Tubes sends the temperature information to the PCM..
Then the MN12 PCM adjust the fuel trim accordingly..

The ECT Sensor on the SN95 Heater Tubes sends the temperature information to the PCM..
Since the SN95 Mustangs came with an E-Fan..
The information gathered from the ECT Sensor also makes adjustments to the actions of the E-Fan..(on/off+high/low)
As well as making adjustments to the fuel trim..

There is no extra wiring involved, all the sensors are already there and in place..

Get it??

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #158 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran Poster

Sweet! Good lookin out man! As soon as I get off my back injury I'll be right back on this beast!
post #159 of 160 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Poster

Well I just finished the efan conversion on the bird with the mustang ecm and ran the wires from the high and low speeds using the relays and the ccrm diagram and it didn't work. Any suggestions??
post #160 of 160 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran Poster

Rayo has been kind enough trying to help me with this problem but maybe someone on here has had a similar issue and found a solution. I have the relays for the low and high side fan wired correctly but the fan still doesn't come on at temp. I replaced the ECT sensor hoping for an easy fix with no luck. The computer IS receiving signal from the ECT sensor verified with my volt meter but the low speed pin is only putting out 1.5 volts once warmed up. The high side is 1.5 volts ALL the time but it never changes with temp or A/C turned on. Right now I have the high side wired so it comes on when the key is on but I'd really like for the fan to run off the computer for that factory install look. Not likely that I got a bad computer is it!? Hope not! Thanks for any help!!

Eibach pro kit springs w/rear cobra bilstiens, rear disc conversion, 2000 Cobra R wheels, 89 SC track-lock swap w/mark 8 cv shafts, 89 front and rear sway bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.