FYI: belt sizes - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7X2 View Post
I'm using the 930K6 listed in the first post with smog pump delete and I'm having a problem with it slipping off the tensioner pulley. I have the Summit crank and water pump underdrives. When I give it a little throttle from idle I can see the belt kind of try to walk off the tensioner pulley toward the engine. The pulley surface does have some wear. Is this what a loose belt does or could the pulley not being smooth cause it?
Update for my particular combination:
I switched from the above size to a smaller 915K6. It lasted 14,000 miles until it slipped off on the highway last weekend. I had been getting some squeal over the winter when the engine was cold, I don't know if it was from the belt or not. I'm going with the same size again and if I get the same noise I'll switch out the belt and see if that fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Update for my particular combination:
I switched from the above size to a smaller 915K6. It lasted 14,000 miles until it slipped off on the highway last weekend. I had been getting some squeal over the winter when the engine was cold, I don't know if it was from the belt or not. I'm going with the same size again and if I get the same noise I'll switch out the belt and see if that fixes it.
Better idea.

Look at the "belt size" marks on the tensioner. If it's too slack, you can see that.

RwP
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Better idea.

Look at the "belt size" marks on the tensioner. If it's too slack, you can see that.

RwP
That is a good idea, but there are no marks on my tensioner.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
That is a good idea, but there are no marks on my tensioner.
Huh.

From http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...parttype=11659 - the only pic that DOESN'T have the belt wear marks is the Goodyear one.

One pic is at http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpag.../DUS/38249.jpg . If you look there, see the exposed tang, and the "Life" arrow? Ideally a new belt is in the middle of that arrow (the tang is, that is.)

A better pic to see the marks is at http://info.rockauto.com/Dayco/89294FRO.jpg .

That's what I'm talking about.

The tensioner on my 91 Cougar has a pair of marks - and right now, the new belt is a bit on the snug side of the middle.

RwP
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Poster

So... What is the best option?
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
̇

Garage
Stock Serpentine Belt

1080K6 is the stock Serpentine Belt Size for the 91-93 Thunderbird/Cougar with the 5.0 HO

That's 108" in length...If you have replaced any of your pulley's..With a smaller diameter pulley..The 1080K6 may slip, and you'll find Black Dust from the Serpentine Belt..Under your hood..

If you've changed any of your pulley's to a larger diameter size..The 1080K6 may not fit.. If the 1080K6 does fit ..It will likely be very hard to put on or take off..

You want a good snug fit on the Serpentine Belt ..However ..You don't want the Belt Tensioner maxed out completely..

When you put the Breaker Bar on the Belt Tensioner..So you can replace the Serpentine Belt..You should be able to move the Belt Tensioner forward at least 1 inch..

Rayo...

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Poster

Rayo,

How are you, man? I need to bypass the smog pump... It´s locked for the second time in one year and now I´m tired of that. I saw many people saying that the belt was sliping after change the belt size. Iste there any belt that fits perfectly?

Tks,

Rodolfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
1080K6 is the stock Serpentine Belt Size for the 91-
93 Thunderbird/Cougar with the 5.0 HO

That's 108" in length...If you have replaced any of your pulley's..With a smaller diameter pulley..The 1080K6 may slip, and you'll find Black Dust from the Serpentine Belt..Under your hood..

If you've changed any of your pulley's to a larger diameter size..The 1080K6 may not fit.. If the 1080K6 does fit ..It will likely be very hard to put on or take off..

You want a good snug fit on the Serpentine Belt ..However ..You don't want the Belt Tensioner maxed out completely..

When you put the Breaker Bar on the Belt Tensioner..So you can replace the Serpentine Belt..You should be able to move the Belt Tensioner forward at least 1 inch..

Rayo...
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 PM
̇

Garage
Smog Pump Bypass

If you are going to bypass the Smog Pump...By using a shorter Serpentine Belt..With all the Original "Factory Size" Pulley's...You need a (930K6) 6 Rib Serpentine Belt..That's a 93 Inch Serpentine Belt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN12XR7
without smog pump: 930K6 (93 inches long, 6 ribbed)

Rayo...

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 06-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Through trial and error, I found that if you want to bypass the SMOG Pump AND the A/C compressor, you need an 84.5" belt. Part # 845K6 -- NOT the 90" belt as mentioned by other posts.
The routing is the same as in Rayo's post immediately above mine sans the A/C compressor.

FYI: belt sizes

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Last edited by S4gunn; 01-19-2014 at 10:25 PM.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Through trial and error, I found that if you want to bypass the SMOG Pump AND the A/C compressor, you need an 84.5" belt. Part # 845K6.
The routing is the same as in Rayo's post immediately above mine sans the A/C compressor.

FYI: belt sizes
Like this?..

Rayo..

post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Like this?..

Rayo..
One more comment: I was hell bent on replacing my stock water pump pulley with a 25% underdrive one I got as part of a kit from Summit racing (kit was on clearance for $35 and I sold off the other two pulleys for that price). IIRC, the circumference of the new pulley was 1-1.5" longer than the stock one.

I was hell bent on getting this to work on my tbird so this necessitated me replacing my stock 93 tbird waterpump with one from a 94-95 mustang 5.0 (different snout lengths, bolt positions, and size of the pulley mating surface).

Luckily enough, the 84.5" belt still worked quite effectively despite the larger diameter WP pulley. As a bonus, I never liked how the close the 84.5" belt was to the maximum tension position of my tensioner. It now sits more in the middle range of the tensioner sweep.

-g

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
One more comment: I was hell bent on replacing my stock water pump pulley with a 25% underdrive one I got as part of a kit from Summit racing (kit was on clearance for $35 and I sold off the other two pulleys for that price). IIRC, the circumference of the new pulley was 1-1.5" longer than the stock one.

I was hell bent on getting this to work on my tbird so this necessitated me replacing my stock 93 tbird waterpump with one from a 94-95 mustang 5.0 (different snout lengths, bolt positions, and size of the pulley mating surface).

Luckily enough, the 84.5" belt still worked quite effectively despite the larger diameter WP pulley. As a bonus, I never liked how the close the 84.5" belt was to the maximum tension position of my tensioner. It now sits more in the middle range of the tensioner sweep.

-g
Was wondering how this belt setup has been working out because I want to delete all my smog and air. Also will my heater, defrost still work without all the air components ?

92 Thunderbird Sport 04 Mach1 05 Mustang 77 F-250 460 Tow Pu 69 Mustang Fb wifes Drag car 64 Comet afx clone my Drag car
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 05:30 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbird View Post
Was wondering how this belt setup has been working out because I want to delete all my smog and air. Also will my heater, defrost still work without all the air components ?
What "air components"? Do you mean the A/C compressor?

Your heater is a radiator in your dash. There are two hoses that come off the back of the engine into the firewall that takes hot engine coolant water to the radiator. If those hoses are intact and your under dash blower motor works, you are going to get warm air (just not cold air if the a/c system is removed).

-g

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
What "air components"? Do you mean the A/C compressor?

Your heater is a radiator in your dash. There are two hoses that come off the back of the engine into the firewall that takes hot engine coolant water to the radiator. If those hoses are intact and your under dash blower motor works, you are going to get warm air (just not cold air if the a/c system is removed).

-g
Yes, getting rid of A/C compressor ,hoses etc and smog pump.I know theres a heater core because I just put one in, what a PITA. Just wanted to know how the 84.5'' belt set up is working out deleting the smog pump and A/C compressor . That is the belt size I would need, right?

92 Thunderbird Sport 04 Mach1 05 Mustang 77 F-250 460 Tow Pu 69 Mustang Fb wifes Drag car 64 Comet afx clone my Drag car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.