Heater core replaced, still no heat - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Heater core replaced, still no heat

Sorry for the new thread but my post in an old one wasn't getting noticed.....
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted, cause my computer crapped out, but still been trying to keep up with everything.

So I came across an old thread and I'm having issues with my 97 Cougar heat as well. There is none! This passed Sunday, I replaced the heater core because the heat went out last winter and it was leaking all over the floor. From my research, it was a pretty obvious diagnosis. Today I replaced the thermostat because it was going out as well. Still no heat. It's almost as if the AC is on. It's blowing that cold! So I've been reading the older threads and two things are mentioned that I didn't know about.

1. Bleeding the system to get rid of any air.

2. Blend door actuator.

I've never bled it before and not 100% sure I know how, although the hoses are hot. After reading this, I went out and checked it and they were definitely hot. As for the actuator, is that the white box that was removed before taking off the access door for the core? If so, I have to take dash out AGAIN?

Could there be something else causing this? Is there ways to check before I start throwing parts at her? Any input would be fantastic! I really thought the heat would be working after the core.

One additional problem that's not heat but, changing heater core, it arose. I've never removed the dash so I had a buddy help me and I followed the directions from a post on here that explained that I had to remove the steering wheel. My friend actually removed it and put it back in but ever since, there is a little slack in the steering that wasn't there before and, when driving straight, it almost feels as if someone is tugging the wheel slightly. What did he mess up and how do I check and fix it? It's always had really tight steering. Now, not so much. Thanks everyone!
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM
PostWhore

To bleed the air out, elevate the front end of the car and run the car with the cap off, heater on high. Ordinarily, you don't need to bleed the system, though I have driven with the cap loose for a day to bleed it. But since the heater core was dry, you definitely should bleed it.

Good luck.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
Sorry for the new thread but my post in an old one wasn't getting noticed.....
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've posted, cause my computer crapped out, but still been trying to keep up with everything.

So I came across an old thread and I'm having issues with my 97 Cougar heat as well. There is none! This passed Sunday, I replaced the heater core because the heat went out last winter and it was leaking all over the floor. From my research, it was a pretty obvious diagnosis. Today I replaced the thermostat because it was going out as well. Still no heat. It's almost as if the AC is on. It's blowing that cold! So I've been reading the older threads and two things are mentioned that I didn't know about.

1. Bleeding the system to get rid of any air.

2. Blend door actuator.

I've never bled it before and not 100% sure I know how, although the hoses are hot. After reading this, I went out and checked it and they were definitely hot. As for the actuator, is that the white box that was removed before taking off the access door for the core? If so, I have to take dash out AGAIN?

No. There is some info here on how to change the Actuator. Very tight fit, cursing and a few scratches on your hands will get it done.

Could there be something else causing this? Is there ways to check before I start throwing parts at her? Any input would be fantastic! I really thought the heat would be working after the core.

Make sure all your vacuum lines are connected to the control unit.

One additional problem that's not heat but, changing heater core, it arose. I've never removed the dash so I had a buddy help me and I followed the directions from a post on here that explained that I had to remove the steering wheel. My friend actually removed it and put it back in but ever since, there is a little slack in the steering that wasn't there before and, when driving straight, it almost feels as if someone is tugging the wheel slightly. What did he mess up and how do I check and fix it? It's always had really tight steering. Now, not so much. Thanks everyone!
Could be that the steering wheel isn't secured correctly, could be that your buddy didn't tightened the bold on the steering shaft (below the dash, above the pedals).

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ok. So further inspection, on the steering column, close to the pedals, there is a piece that joins the column together and acts as a swivel? Does that make sense? Anyway, it looks as if it's missing a bolt that tightens it. What is it called and where can I find a replacement?

The cooling system burped itself because one of the clamps on the hose for the heater core wasn't tight. So I tightened it and was still losing antifreeze from that hose. Now there's 2 clamps on that end and it still comes out. Just switched the clamps, because one is adjustable, so I'll check it tomorrow after my wife comes home.

Looking behind the glove box, I found a white vacuum line with a screw in the end of it. It goes to a little white box with a red line, green line another white line etc... but I have no clue where it's suppose to go! Any ideas on how I locate?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Still losing antifreeze........ Someone mentioned that maybe they were too tight, so I took the adjustable clamp off yesterday and of course raining today so I will check it tomorrow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Old clamp didn't work so I will be replacing it tomorrow.

It's the missing bolt a common size that I can pick one up anywhere?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

So I misplaced the clamp but it seems to have slowed down. Maybe the hose needed to heat up and form to it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.