S4Gunn's 3.8L Single Port to Splitport DIY - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Good info here. I will be using this in the very near future so I appreciate the addenda. Any pics of the fabbed TPS bracket?

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now on the road!!

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
Good info here. I will be using this in the very near future so I appreciate the addenda. Any pics of the fabbed TPS bracket?
Glad I could help. This is a totally fair request and I have updated the pics accordingly.

There are probably a bunch of ways to make this bracket. My setup is a bit cumbersome. I originally tried welding small #10-32 nuts to the adapter plate but I found that the nuts themselves got in the way of the TPS Sensor. My setup also allows you to use BOTH throttle body mounting holes.

Here are my thoughts:
1) Use the thinnest metal you can find. I used scrap door metal skin given to my by a body shop.
2) For the two screws that will hold the adapter plate to the throttle body, you need #10-32 screws. That's the superfine thread (you can find this at an ACE Hardware). You also need as flat a head on the screws as possible to minimize the distance from the throttle body to the TPS sensor (hex shaped heads would minimize stripping BUT won't fit between the plate and the TPS Sensor).
3) Drill bigger holes in the plates so you can move them around.
4) Two more screws and nuts can hold the adapter plate to the sensor. I used #10-32 screws again BUT other sizes/threading would work. The catch though is that you may need to use washers or something to get a nice tight yet still removable fit.

Another option is to put the adapter plate ON TOP of the TPS sensor so you will have (plate -> sensor -> throttle body) instead of (sensor->plate->throttle body) like in my setup.
This will make the attachment of the TPS sensor to the adapter plate a LOT easier but you will only have 1 screw point usable on the throttle body (plus the support of the throttle plate shaft itself. I didn't like this idea.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Last edited by S4gunn; 02-19-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.