TCCoA Forums banner

Which HG set/whats different?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  danielcah 
#1 ·
Somehow I overheated my 89 Cougar...again, and it needs head gaskets...again.

I should junk it but I think it is my fastest way to have wheels until I can replace/fix my wrecked 97.

Rockauto has two slightly different part numbered HG sets. the CHEAPER one (by a buck) includes more pieces, I guess these are the valve guide seals? They are circled in Red. Other difference is the slightly different intake front and rear gaskets (circled in blue). Any other known differences, they are both listed as the permadry gaskets with rubber valve cover gaskets.

Car has 178,000 miles, when I did the head gaskets at 80k I didn't take the heads in to have them checked, and I didn't replace the valve seals. It doesn't puff oil, I can't tell if it burns oil because it leaks so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd get the HS one(cheaper). As far as I can tell the head gaskets are the same and the intake end seals look to be better. Make sure you get new bolts. Did you put new bolts on last time?

#3 ·
Yup, I did new bolts last time, but I cheaped out/rushed it and didn't get the heads checked or replace the valve seals or check the valves. I did use a rafters square to check for flatness...hahaha. That was at 80k miles, and at the time I decided I wouldn't keep it long enough for that to matter. 16 years later that decision might just be coming back to haunt me!

I don't remember the intake end seals real well, I know they were problematic on carbed 302s and 351s, but not really remembering them being problematic on this car, doesn't leak there (unlike every windsor I rebuilt/swapped intake on).

#4 ·
Iam doing the same, full gasket replace at the moment, changing every hose and rusted out bell. i have corrosion even inside the intake manifold. all after a bad overheat on the highway.

Been reading a bit bout gasket problems on the 89-91. Seems Ford had to go with new laws in the 80´s not allowing asbestos in gaskets, instead used graphite based Head gaskets. and they wouldn't handle the aluminum heads with steel block, since they expand and retract different.

Also looking for the right gasket set. seen a pair with double layerd steel alloy. that´s what iam going for.

Do you know what the felpros are made of? And what do u think is the best gasket set, price/quality?

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.