Misfire solutions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Misfire solutions

Here's where I'm at with this one... Misfire cylinder 6 on 1996 3.8. I can feel the car lacking some power at the line, but power picks up at around 2500 rpm. I have changed the plugs, wires, coil, and ran seafoam through as to clean up my injectors. Pulled the cables to reset the system, but still im getting p0306 from the computer. Next I plan to do a propane enrichment check around the plug to check for cracks. It's cylinder specific so I doubt vacuum line as it would lean out the bank, rather that pointing to that one cylinder. Any other ideas for this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
I had this problem with a 3 liter last month- replaced the plugs, wires, coil pack, and even two injectors- nothing. Gave up and sent it to the repair shop. In the end the problem was a faulty NEW spark plug.

Try swapping the number 6 plug with another cylinder and check if the misfire follows it.

1995 T-Bird. PI 4.6. Bullitt intake. Big MHS cams. 4,200 Dirty Dogg converter. Kooks headers. Full exhaust. 4" Drive Shaft. 4:10s.
Waiting on a tune.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII FX2 Sand Dune Machine.

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC- stock
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll give it a shot and see if it work, thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

One other thing that can cause misfire is a leaking intake manifold gasket. From what I understand, the coolant passage portion of the gasket can leak coolant into the combustion chamber and cause misfire.
If you have the old plugs, compare #6 to the rest and note if it looks as if it had been 'steam cleaned'. The coolant flash to vapor will make any deposits on the plugs get 'steamed' away.
tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.