Step One, Basic Bolt-ons
1. REMOVE the air silencer and fabricate some form of cold air induction
2. Underdrive Pulley/ the MOST HP PER DOLLAR around 7rwhp for 70$
3. A chip for the 89-95's or a Xcal 2 for the 96-97's from your favorite SCT dealer.
4. WHEN adding a chip, get it burnt for Colder plugs and 180* t-stat (32C motorcraft or 764 Autolite plugs) and install them at the same time
5. Transmission Modifications (look in the TCCOA tech section for "seperator plate modification") Just DO IT!
6. NEVER use any product called "tornado" or "electric supercharger"
Step Two, Advanced Bolt-ons
1. HEADS/ Ported heads from various sources 12-30rwhp gains possible with the different stages avalible
2. Intakes/ Same as ported heads, lots of people do them, 5-10 rwhp
3. Camshaft/ Stock springs can support .480 lift but SHOULD be replaced anyhow. don't go too nuts here, no more than 210 intake 220 exhaust or you WILL lose LOTS of low end torque. Gains from 5-35+ rwhp depending on your heads, intakes, and power adders.
4. Drive train/ At this point I suggest upgrading to 8.8" rear diff with 3.73 or 4.10 gears and trac-lok. Think about supercoupe 1/2 shafts also.
5. Exhaust/ I recommend a dual 2" into single 2.5" split to dual 2.25" out the back at this stage, your choice of mufflers. should be sufficent to support power adders later on also. Dual 2" all the way back work also
Step Three, doing the Wild Thing with power adders
1. Supercharger/ Centrifical Style like a Vortech or Procharger are prefered IF you plan on using the stock shortblock, no more than 9psi
2. Nitrous Oxide / Cheap Horsepower that works well with a stock engine when used in MODERATION! Start with a 50 shot and work up to a 75 shot.
3. Turbocharger/ the MOST Difficult to install, BUT the most effecent of them all
4. Forged "internals" / custom Rods and pistons and even a 4.2L stroker for more power and BOOST (boost isn't everything though)
5. Tuning, its ALL IN THE TUNE, get your self to a tune session to MAKE SURE your engine is working properly with your choice of power adder! (nothing like a hole in your piston to ruin a good weekend due to a bad tune)
6. You CAN go with any of the power adders on a stock engine also, but you will get SO MUCH more out of them with ported heads, intakes, and a cam!