TCCoA Forums banner

EPC solenoid replacement -help?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  moonshiner180 
#1 ·
I have been getting codes for the epc solenoid, and sometimes the car doesn't shift right at WOT, so I have the part here and seem to have gotten in over my head a little on this one. I have the pan off, mlps off, nut on manual shift lever loosened...but I seem to be stuck here. I cannot get the lever to slide out so I can remove the nut, RC, and eventually solenoid. Is this just from age and it's stuck or does something else have to be done to remove/loosen this part? I've tried prying and only managed maybe 1/16th inch.

#3 ·
This is probably the problem.

Use Pliers, and it pulls right out.

Don't crush it with Vicegrips, it's not that hard to pull out.

See the inset in the casting, inboard of the lever?

That little pin sticking up is what you pull out.

#4 ·
Yeah, that's what it was, the instructions I used didn't have a real good illustration to go off of so I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

Got humpty Dumpty back together and driving, but I'm still getting P1746 (1. Open circuit/2. Total desired torque signal out of range). Car does seem to be driving a little smoother, but the Lucas sure shift fluid I put in tends to do that on it's own.

Where would I start looking for an electrical fault, if there is one? Everything inside the pan looked good.

#6 ·
P1746 code still coming up.

I got this code, which my Innova 3160e told me was either an open circuit or total desired torque signal out of range for the EPC solenoid. Replaced the solenoid, car seems to drive good, not a huge difference from before... But I am still picking up this code on the diagnostic tool, and roughly 1 minute (varies) after start-up the O/D light starts blinking and remains on as long as the car is running.

Where would be the most likely cause of this issue, other than the solenoid?

I'm doing what I can to fix this car up, so the electrical tape on the corner of the gauge cluster to block the flashing light needs to go at some point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.