95 4R70W randomly missed second gear. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

95 4R70W randomly missed second gear.

Driving home from work yesterday got on the car getting onto the highway at full throttle and shifted perfectly, drove 5 min down the highway still shifting normal, got off my exit drove about another 5 mins down a two lane highway doing 55 mph got stopped by a traffic light went to accelerate at about half throttle trying to get in front of another car in the lane beside me from the light took of from 1st gear like normal hit second gear and just revved up not like a slip but like it completely missed the gear all together, took my foot completely outta the gas and hit second and then drove home without any slippage or issue the rest of the drive, the transmission fluid is full and pink, idk what to do if I should start looking for a replacement trans or if it can be fixed just looking for some input from some guys that know more about these cars than me any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

The transmission also buzzes in park and neutral and has done so since purchasing the car. I just drove it 10miles this morning without any slip or issue and I got on it twice to see if it would slip and it did not at all and the shifts felt nice and solid, this has really got me scratching my head.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Try going back to the same place and accelerate at the same speed to see if you can re-produce it. Also, do you still have the original all flat trans pan on the car? It is possible with the all flat pan that it could have sucked air instead of fluid. That usually happens more when turning, especially turning right, but it could happen under acceleration too, so replacing the pan and filter with the 96+ version, which has a sump for the filter to suck up the fluid might resolve your issue.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Maybe it still has the old style accumulator pistons and it's sticking. I had problems with my 96 gt and one of the 1-2 springs was broken and laying over in the bore. I had to play with the gas every time to make it shift until i jmodded it and changed springs. Just some ideas
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Rob raises a good point about the old style accumulator. You can have problems even if the springs in the accumulator are good due to leakage in the seals. There is a new style which you will get if you buy the part from Ford. There is a lot written about the accumulator issue which i read about some years ago when i replaced mine. Sorry i don't have the links right now. it was not easy to replace btw with the tools i had. Not recommended unless you know what you're getting in to and are prepared.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I do think the buzzing sound in park and neutral may be coming from the 1-2 accumulator spring but how do I know for sure? I pulled the pan today and changed the fluid and filter and there wasn't much clutch material on the magnet at all for the cars mileage and didn't see anything concerning in the fluid either and it was still pink. I am not running any trans cooler, could it just been from old fluid and it getting hot???? Its been almost a week and everything has been fine I was even running late for work today and was doing 80-85 down the highway followed by stop and go city driving without any problems still buzzing in park and neutral after the flush the same as its always been.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Being a 95 might be valve body buzz. I never did figure out what caused it on mine, I just drove it and had no issue from it.

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Well the car has been fine and hasn't given me any more issue so far, So I'm going to say it just must have been a freak thing and hopefully the fresh fluid took care of it, I'm considering having a trans cooler put on it maybe even one with an electric fan to keep things happy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I used to get a rattle from the catalytic converters heat shield covers. I took the cats off and the rattle went away.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 PM
6th Gear Poster

It could be the the intermediate one way clutch. It should have the old style sprag style in it. And what happens is the rollers flatten out so every once in a while it will hit the flat parts and not hold. This is what happened to mine. it can be rebuilt with the mechanical diode clutch.

See all my flattened rollers.

1995 SC------------------1994 SC----------------1993 LX
Black----------------------Red----------------------Grey
3.8-------------------------3.8w/bent rod---------5.0
4R70W--------------------M5R2--------------------AOD
2.4 AR in works---------2.0 Auto Rotor---------N/A
24psi----------------------15+----------------------none yet
450RWHP----------------300RWHP est.---------who knows/who cares
10.740@127------------13.842@103.08-------16.1@
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Intermediate one way clutch? Does having that fixed mean I need a full trans rebuild, or is it something that can be done without full rebuild? I do not know much about automatic transmissions and don't wanna get ripped off. I was driving tonight and it has been 8 days since I had it flushed thought I was good to go, and haven't been having any problems with it what so ever. When out of no where it did it again.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

??????????
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Yes, the one-way clutch is internal in the trans, so you are basically looking at a full rebuild.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77 View Post
Being a 95 might be valve body buzz. I never did figure out what caused it on mine, I just drove it and had no issue from it.
This.

I never experienced it in my 95, but then again I updated to the newer transmission in that car. If it's just annoying I wouldn't worry about it, but if it gets worse I'd consider upgrades. What to do depends on the age/mileage/future plans for the car. You could just replace the VB (which you need to remove to change the 2-3 accumulator anyway).

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team -15.278@90.60MPH. In need of updated times.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:29 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Personally, I'd upgrade to a 2002 to get all the upgrades you can; to get better than that, you need someone to build one.

After 2002 they changed the sensors, so they won't work without major overhauling and playing mix and match with old parts as well.

You can get a new tranny wiring harness to fit your solenoids, as well as new solenoids of the correct type for your 95 eec.
Check PATC, I've bought a bunch of stuff from them.

linky

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...oid-1992-1994/

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...ids-soft-wire/

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...trol-solenoid/

That's all from here:

PATC

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.