How Do I Replace CV Joint Bearings Inside the Diff? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I have a 97 lx and my right side CV joint seems to wiggle where it goes into the differential. I believe this is why I have a vibration at 70 mph only on the right side. I've ruled everything else out.

I think I can remove one upper control arm bolt, lean the spindle outward and pop the axle out of the diff. There is a seal which should be easy to remove and a bearing behind it which appears to pop out like the seal does. I'm guessing it's pressed in?

Has anyone replaced these bearings before?

They don't come out through the inside of the diff, do they?

If they come out from the outside, do you use a bearing puller with slide hammer and pop it loose just like a pilot bushing in an engine?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:21 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Here's a pic of the inside posted by Rayo that clearly shows the bearing caps, inside the diff.

You could probably pull them out the side, but I doubt it will be reassemble-able later.

It has to come off, be taken apart, and rebuilt; most likely.

All the pieces of that bearing ate in there somewhere, and I have yet to take one apart that still has the brass shims intact; they're usually smeared throughout the gearset.

Pulling it isn't too bad; one suspension side off is fine.
Just unbolt the DS (12mm bolts), and unbolt the assembly and pull toward the side that's off, the other side pops right out with a screwdriver.

The old grease is the worst part...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I saw on an explorer diff that the bearings can be pulled out the side. You pry the seal off then use a 2 finger slide hammer to carefully pop the bearing out. Putting a new one back in is easy, you just tap it in using a large socket.

I assume the t-bird diff are built the same way. They look the same internally at least.

It also occurs to me that the bearings might be fine and it's the cv joint shaft that that rides on the bearing that has worn down. I'm just gonna have to pull the axle out and take a good look.

You can see the bearings in the picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IRS diff housing.jpg (273.2 KB, 0 views)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 PM
The Parts Guy

Those bearings are easily replaceable without disassembly of the diff. It's just like replacement on a solid axle 8.8".

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
rodsv6cougar@cs.com
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 PM

So there's two sets back to back?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM
̇

Garage
The Pilot Bearings that the CV shaft rides on are removable, if that's your problem..

I have removed a couple sets, and depending on the age/wear/condition of the Pilot Bearings..
They can give you trouble trying to remove them without damaging something else in the process..

I wouldn't call it an easy job..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
Those bearings are easily replaceable without disassembly of the diff. It's just like replacement on a solid axle 8.8".
Thanks. Easily replaceable is what I wanted to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
So there's two sets back to back?

I think you were describing the big bearings the carrier rotated on. I was talking about the bearings the cv joint rode on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
I wouldn't call it an easy job..
Awe, man.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
I think you were describing the big bearings the carrier rotated on. I was talking about the bearings the cv joint rode on.
I just looked at the exploded view drawing; I see my mistake.

There can't be just one set there, it wouldn't rotate, lol.

Sorry.

It should tap right out with a slide hammer; if you have the whole thing apart, you drive it from the opposite side.

Be really careful what you do with the used oil from the diff; it defines nasty smelling grease, lol.

Nothing outstinks used gear oil.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Nothing outstinks used gear oil.
How about the LSD additive from 30 years ago, when they used to make it from whale oil? I know the Mopar stuff was beyond disgusting.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.