TCCoA Forums banner

DS won't drop down

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DilutedImage 
#1 ·
I've lowered the gas tank, removed the drive shaft hoops, and removed the 4 bolts from the rear of the drive shaft. The next step should be lowering the drive shaft, but it's getting hung up on the pinion shaft and nut. I've tried lifting the trans as high as it will go, to increase the distance between it and the differential, but it's not enough. I'm afraid my only option is to remove the differential all together. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Lower the tank more or pull the diff housing mount/bolts and push it towards the back of the car (no need to completely remove the housing). I have removed my ds a number of times, the last time I just lowered the tank. One time I did a combo of the both. Did you remove the filler hose? That will restrict the amount the tank will drop. The placing/length of the wires/fuel lines allow it to drop pretty far before they cause a problem.

One thing that might help without further removing parts is to pull the ds out of the output shaft and push the yoke above the output shaft housing of the trans. This gives you a little more angle to sneak it below the pinion flange. Good luck.

#4 ·
Buckcreekbilly - Yep. I even raised the trans to make more room.

coolhandzep - The tank isn't the issue. It's the nut in the middle of the pinion flange. It's as if the drive shaft is just a little too long (I can only pull it a half-inch or so away from the flange).

I'll try simply pulling the differential back. Hopefully that'll give me the room I need. I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it.

Thank you both for you input and suggestions; I really appreciate it.

#5 ·
Lower the front of the differential.

-Miller

#7 ·
How much room were we talking here? I have some really big crowbars! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.