TC Shuddering - need advise - TCCoA Forums

3Likes
  • 2 Post By MadMikeyL
  • 1 Post By T6Rocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

TC Shuddering - need advise

I have a 96TB 4.6 auto with 122,000 miles. The TC is experiencing minor shuddering mainly when cold. I have added chemicals to help the shuddering which has helped some. Can someone provide some information on this shuddering issue and how long can this continue before I run into more serious issues. Any information on this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

1996 TB LX, 4.6, 120,000 miles, black with tan interior.
Dark tint and OEM "Sport" spoiler.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Drain your transmission fluid, including the torque converter, and refill with fresh MerconV. That will help alleviate the shudder, however it may return. If it does return within 30K miles, then you will need to replace the torque converter to make it go away, however the shudder will not cause any ill effects on the rest of the trans, so most people just live with it unless or until the trans has to come out for some other reason.
CDsDontBurn and lurch like this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thank you very much for the information. I will change the TF.

Glenn

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:57 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I will change the TF.

Glenn
Make sure it's Mercon V, not anything else.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:06 AM
PostWhore

And a full flush, including TC is around 12 qts.

Al
Woodman likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 68k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - Brenda's car
Previous cars:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 PM
5th Gear Poster

I think there's something to do with draining the torque converter without adding solvents to spread junk around the tranny. You have to drain the tranny to get to the TC so it's the fullest flush you can do. My car had the shudder at 100k and the flush worked and I did it again at 150k.

It's going to drain better if it's warm.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Mines been doing it on and off for about 100k miles. Changing the fluid seems to help for a while. Mine needs doing again.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I just bought 12 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V. I work PT at O'R and I can not get pure Mercon V except through old store stock. Only the ATF/MV is now available.

I am going to buy the Dorman AT pan #265-813 when I change the fluid and filter. What is the recommended filter to use with the Dorman pan - just a stock filter for the 96TB?

I am going to put the TB up on ramps - 10" high and then disconnect the upper radiator AT cooler and let the AT pump empty the trans. Any comments on this approach? Will using ramps in an elevated way affect the AT pump?

Glenn

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 AM
PostWhore

Just use the stock pan, and re-use the gasket if it's the factory style. OR get a new Ford gasket. I was tempted to get that Dorman pan with the drain plug, but it had a lot of wrinkles on the sealing surface. That, coupled with an aftermarket thin rubber gasket would be likely to leak.

And when you pump out the fluid first, the pan only has a small amount left in it, so not having a drain plug is a non-issue.

You can just raise the front end to pump the fluid out (be careful, it drains FAST!). One minute at the most should do it, don't want to run the pump dry. But the thing is, you have to get the car high off the ground to remove the pan. So, the car on 4 jack stands and level is the way to go. You need it level for the re-fill.

Al

Previous cars:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for your comments - very helpful. Since I work at O'R I can order parts and return them if they are not right. I ordered the Dorman AT pan and was quite pleased with its workmanship. The sealing surface was smooth with no ripples. The pan was made out of thick sheet metal so I decided to keep it. But, I was disappointed that it did not have a magnetic plug. I may just cement some magnets in the bottom of the pan. If anyone has a part number for a magnetic plug please post it here. I could not find one. I also ordered a B&M trans cooler - #70268 I should have install one YEARS ago. But, the TB is only used for daily driving.

I will use my ramps on the front end and jack stands under the axles. By the way can someone give me the correct positions for the rear jack stands. I assume the axles are OK?

Glenn

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM
PostWhore

The frame rails are where you put jack stands. The IRS axles are NOT okay to support the weight of the car. On a solid axle car that would be okay.

Al

Previous cars:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
No need to cement magnets to the plug. When you remove the stock pan, there will be a magnet inside, which attaches to the bottom of the pan via magnetism. Just pull that out, clean it up, and put it in the same location on the new pan.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ok - great. I did not know that. Thanks.

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.