Ford Teaming with Toyota - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Ford Teaming with Toyota

Personally I don't want an F150 with a Tundra drivetrain and I hope it's just on the hybrid vehicals. Mom has 2009 Sequoia it's fast but problems are already starting to pop up at 40k miles.. (sticking gas pedal anyone?)

"The companies signed the agreement Monday to share development costs, saying they want to make the technology more affordable for customers and bring it to market faster. Many details have yet to be worked out, but both said their vehicles would remain unique even if they share the same drive systems."

"What makes them uniquely a Ford truck will continue to be there with a hybrid powertrain that we co-develop with Toyota,"

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/...ucks-and-suvs/

-Patrick
9.63@77mph on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/129479-tbird1997-pictues.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I see this as a good thing

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
This doesn't mean Fords will have Toyota drivetrains or vice versa. Ford and Toyota are both developing the same technology together rather than separately. This means (like it said in the article) both faster and lower cost R&D.

What they come up with will be unique from anything currently on market, and both Ford and Toyota will implement it differently in their own vehicles.

To me, this is excellent news. As much as I hate to say it, Toyota does have excellent engineers, as does Ford. Having both manufacturers work together on this tells me it will be that much better than what either could have developed independently.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM
PostWhore

Teamwork! This is definitely good. I see a practical electric car on the horizon, not that I want one, but I want people to stop using my gas.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Project-bird View Post
I want people to stop using my gas.
Right on!

Let the people who can afford to save money on gas do so. Let us poor people continue to get ripped off by the gas companies.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Teamwork! This is definitely good. I see a practical electric car on the horizon, not that I want one, but I want people to stop using my gas.
Then they'll just be stealing your coal, uranium, or whatever source you get your electricity from

-Matt
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Then they'll just be stealing your coal, uranium, or whatever source you get your electricity from
x2 There are much less rare metals like uranium on earth than oil.

Also China is the worlds main producer of lithium so instead of being dependent on the middle east for oil we will be more dependent on china for lithium ion batteries in these hybrids. (I believe Chile is a big one too)

-Patrick
9.63@77mph on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
They can't take my hamsters!

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:39 PM
5th Gear Poster

Sounds great to me too, the indirect continued homogenization of NASCAR not withstanding.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
Sounds great to me too, the indirect continued homogenization of NASCAR not withstanding.
Crap.. that was over before Toyota even got in....what was the last exciting development done for NASCAR?!!!
Yates v Roush head wars.... right?

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:33 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
www.teslamotors.com

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 AM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Hope those Tesla fans like hours of downtime to charge the $8000 battery that will inevitably stop holding charge in 4-8 years.

-Matt
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Hope those Tesla fans like hours of downtime to charge the $8000 battery that will inevitably stop holding charge in 4-8 years.
Oh SNAP! And by practical, I mean you can drive 300 miles (like the tesla), but not have to stop for a few hours to recharge. They should make it like propane, drop your empty one, pay to put a charged one in. Then, and only then would the electric car be as good as a gasoline/ diesel car.

Last edited by 1996Project-bird; 08-26-2011 at 01:47 PM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
PostWhore

Yes they still aren't all that practical but I think it's awesome that someone actually made a fast electric car. I think that in the future it they will make it better. I don't know why they can't use a dual battery system where one charges from a generator while the other is being used.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
My biggest hatred for them is the reliance on a battery and worse of all "the grid". Not so much the propulsion itself. Gasoline cars are their own powerplant, they use the raw fuel you put in to generate the power to move itself and power the other systems. Even the wasted heat energy can be utilized to warm you up in the cold. Rather than take in(slowly) power from one giant powerplant attached to a grid that constantly has surges/outages and go for a downward spiral of driving while depleting the range with every other electronic device used (stereo, heater, lights, ect.) until you end up having to inevitably wait for the next recharge. Talk about depressing!

I really can't imagine a greater personal hell than having a giant cell phone for a car.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 08-26-2011 at 03:46 PM.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Veteran Poster

How is it that they have not figured out or implemented a way to charge the battery while driving on electric power like a frigging alternator and drive it off the a separate output somehow.

Quote:
My biggest hatred for them is the reliance on a battery and worse of all "the grid". Not so much the propulsion itself. Gasoline cars are their own power plant, they use the raw fuel you put in to generate the power to move itself and power the other systems. Even the wasted heat energy can be utilized to warm you up in the cold. Rather than take in(slowly) power from one giant power plant attached to a grid that constantly has surges/outages and go for a downward spiral of driving while depleting the range with every other electronic device used (stereo, heater, lights, etc.) until you end up having to inevitably wait for the next recharge. Talk about depressing!

I really can't imagine a greater personal hell than having a giant cell phone for a car.
Well put Matt

Phrum Steve

89 Thunderbird SC 3.8SC W/ Factory manual
http://photobucket.com/SCno1

94 Thunderbird LX 3.8 N/A Automatic
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...Bird%20No%203/
sold, sadly

95 Thunderbird SC deal pending

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-01-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
PostWhore

They just need to make a universal battery. pull up to a station, an attendant swaps it out, you're on your way. Maybe not make that the only way, but certainly make it an option.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by renello79 View Post
How is it that they have not figured out or implemented a way to charge the battery while driving on electric power like a frigging alternator and drive it off the a separate output somehow
Because that would be a perpetual motion machine, and would violate the laws of physics. Anything that would generate electricity would need to have some power source, which would put a load on the battery in the car, depleting it faster, and now in addition to draining the battery moving the car, you have parasitic losses from inefficiency in the entire recharging system, which will always recharge at a lower rate than it uses electricity to run.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage

-Matt
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:58 AM
6th Gear Poster

That's some good Kool-aid !

Don't tell me none of you would love to drive for a day , stomp on the gas and leave most cars at the light . And still get every thing you need done . And all you need to do is plug it in at night . And your only reason for not liking the electric car is you surport oil companys that don't just want to make a "big" profit , but want to rape us ? People who have electric cars , say and show they don't pay alot for electricity . So why do people just make up reasons out of the clear blue sky about electric cars and say it's bad ? On secound thought , it's easier to stand at the bank ATM , stand in line at the gas station , pump the gas that they make run slower now (if it does'nt take a while to get to a pump if there's a line ) . Yea , I guess plugging in a cord for 20 seconds would be worse then that , my bad .
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
On the other hand, I wonder why there are no cars available with a diiesel-electric powertrain - not unlike those found in locomotives. I'd imagine that would be the most efficient way of using fuel.

-Brandon

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 sc 460 View Post
Don't tell me none of you would love to drive for a day , stomp on the gas and leave most cars at the light . And still get every thing you need done . And all you need to do is plug it in at night . And your only reason for not liking the electric car is you surport oil companys that don't just want to make a "big" profit , but want to rape us ? People who have electric cars , say and show they don't pay alot for electricity . So why do people just make up reasons out of the clear blue sky about electric cars and say it's bad ? On secound thought , it's easier to stand at the bank ATM , stand in line at the gas station , pump the gas that they make run slower now (if it does'nt take a while to get to a pump if there's a line ) . Yea , I guess plugging in a cord for 20 seconds would be worse then that , my bad .

You must be withholding secrets with that kind of range and that quick of a recharge time!

And it's not like the power companies won't rape us, especially once the already **** grid starts getting further taxed by hundreds of thousands of electric cars every night. No way they'll raise the rates to meet the demand!

-Matt
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
You must be withholding secrets with that kind of range and that quick of a recharge time!

And it's not like the power companies won't rape us, especially once the already **** grid starts getting further taxed by hundreds of thousands of electric cars every night. No way they'll raise the rates to meet the demand!
There's already a lot of work underway to improve the power grid / supply. Last year I had the great opportunity to work on a piece of Nuclear history. In January I went to Three Mile Island (TMI) ... anyone remember late March - early April 1979? Anyway, we took the generator off of unit 2 and it was shipped to Raleigh, NC where it was rebuilt over the summer and then installed at Shearon Harris Nuclear Station in October of last year. The improved performance of the rebuilt and larger (than previously installed) generator added several megawatts production capacity to the unit. Upgrades like this one and other upgrades are an ongoing process in the power utility sector.

As far as how this will affect utility prices, I don't know. I will say that I think it will be many years before there are enough electric cars on the roads to tax the power grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by renello79 View Post
How is it that they have not figured out or implemented a way to charge the battery while driving on electric power like a frigging alternator and drive it off the a separate output somehow.
Because that would be a perpetual motion machine, and would violate the laws of physics. Anything that would generate electricity would need to have some power source, which would put a load on the battery in the car, depleting it faster, and now in addition to draining the battery moving the car, you have parasitic losses from inefficiency in the entire recharging system, which will always recharge at a lower rate than it uses electricity to run.
Don't be so fast to shoot that idea down.

As far as perpetual motion goes ... Hybrid and electric cars have regenerative braking systems that do recharge the batteries. As you pointed out perpetual motion is against the laws of physics however, there it no law that says that a high degree of regenerative efficiency can't be obtained.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-01-2011 at 04:00 PM.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 PM
6th Gear Poster

Yesturday I went to see my girlfreinds from my house . Then we went to two stores and I went home after I dropped here off. My job is close , but a car is still ok to use . The whole day I did 48 miles total on my trip meter . Every one who has a electric car gets 50 to 120 miles per charge . I sleep for 7 hours and even the lead-acid batteries only take 5 to 6 hours if the batteries dead . Most people do not travel that much on averege when it's not for work , even in a gas car . Li-ion only take 2 to 4 hours to charge . Granted , they do cost alot (price of a Tork Tech blower ), but most of them do lighten the car and make it faster . Besides , didn''t Henry Ford build a electric car for his wife , that she loved , and still runs even now ? Toyota just set a record of 7and a half minutes around the Nurungburg Ring in an electric car . And as long as people are still saying the the things that you do out of just dout , the electric compony's will blow them off too . But cable companys bend us over to so... oh well .
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM
PostWhore

I think the technology will be there someday, maybe not in our lifetime but soon. Think of how far things have progressed in the last 30 years. If you told people 30 years ago that everyone would have personal cell phones, laptops, PDA's, Ipads, and do everything on computers from banking to shopping they would have thought you were nutty.

it's just the concept of cars has always been centered around gas engines, why change something that works. Most people are reluctant to change and when you try to change something of that magnitude it's going to take awhile.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear Poster

no electric car will ever have the exhaust note of my bird, therefore they are all bad.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-10 Bird View Post
no electric car will ever have the exhaust note of my bird, therefore they are all bad.
I would not be too sure about that.

There's a sci-fi short story I remember where it turns out the "villian" (who's just basically a donkey-hole) has an old 1959 Caddy, that he takes around the block, drives to a store, picks up the newspaper, and drives back home ... all spring-wound, with the rest of the space given to batteries and the synthesizer that makes it sound like a rodded out 1959 Caddy.

Besides, there's always something like this: http://www.gizmag.com/soundracer-v8-video-review/14019/

RwP
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I think the technology will be there someday, maybe not in our lifetime but soon. Think of how far things have progressed in the last 30 years. If you told people 30 years ago that everyone would have personal cell phones, laptops, PDA's, Ipads, and do everything on computers from banking to shopping they would have thought you were nutty.

it's just the concept of cars has always been centered around gas engines, why change something that works. Most people are reluctant to change and when you try to change something of that magnitude it's going to take awhile.
That's not exactly true, either. When the first internal combustion engine was being used to move something with 4 wheels, there was also electricity & steam. So they weren't always centered around gas engines. Ask Jay Leno, he has a few non-gas early automobiles.

Back on topic, Ford & Yota? Eh, why not! They both make some great vehicles, so why not! They've also both got good business sense and models, so again, why not?

Not like it's a new concept, been going on for years with ALL the vehicle manufacturers!

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
x2 There are much less rare metals like uranium on earth than oil.

Also China is the worlds main producer of lithium so instead of being dependent on the middle east for oil we will be more dependent on china for lithium ion batteries in these hybrids. (I believe Chile is a big one too)
lets not forget about the three trillion USD worth of precious metals and rare earth elements that have been found in northern afghanistan. the karzai "aministration" has allowed the Chi-Coms to do a diggin'!

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird 14.17@98.57mph AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Why not beta test electric cars in china? See how well they work. Might reduce the "global demand" for petroleum that is causing these ludicrous gas prices right?

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.