NASCAR engines getting EFI - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkasper View Post
NASCAR is all about the sponsors money and not the fans anymore. The cars are nothing but big billboards. If they didn't put a sticker on the front of each car showing the manufacturer they are imitating, you wouldn't know one car from another. Innovation is not allowed in NASCAR.

I agree, put "Stock" back into stock car racing. NASCAR should be called billboard racing.
You used biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaag word 'der - INNOVATION!

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to BlackbirdSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
You used biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaag word 'der - INNOVATION!

That sounds French!

"Keep making it thinner until it breaks, then go one size bigger."
My Cougar XR7
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 AM
6th Gear Poster

I think it's either a fan of the car or fan of the driver.

You can add to that either go to the race or watch it on TV.

You never see instant replays in the stands most of the time, so you make up for it by listening to the radio.

Watching the race on TV is an act of solitude most of the time unless you have friends over. Going to a race by yourself kinda sucks, which is why I haven't been to one since my dad passed in 1994.

I do think they should add some electronic programmabilty into the cars similar to the IRL.

That push-to-pass button with a limited number of times the computer will let you use it is pretty nice to watch.

Use a tool, don't be one...

-Mark

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
1970 Torino GT 351C 4V

...................................GT
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\..|||||
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to BoiledDogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgino96tbird46 View Post
Honestly, I think NASCAR should be like it was in the 60's. Using stock, minimally modified bodies and factory offered engines. Oh yeah, stock cars. Imagine that...
That would be nice. Factory V8s now days make 400hp+ N/A and even more with forced inductions. Crumple zones and such keeps the drivers safe. Slap in a roll-cage, tuned suspension, brakes, tires, and some fancy paint and stickers and we got a racer.

Cars Owned
-1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6 V8 (June 2010-June 2013)
-1999 Subaru Outback 2.5 H4 (January 2013-June 2013)
Passed it on to my little brother
-2000 Volvo S70 2.5 I5 (September 2013-Present)
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM
4th Gear Poster

Remember "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" ?

Absolutelly ! , my first car was a 1972 Dodge charger I was a big Richard Petty fan
Then switched to Chevy and had a 1975 Laguna
My last Nascar inspired car is my Tbird , ( was a Davey Allison fan R.I.P.) I went to my last race back in 1998 and lost all interest a few years later , now I can watch a few laps , if there is nothing else on , but watching the same car with different decals is just boring
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM
PostWhore

It's too bad you guys feel the way you do about NASCAR. Although I do understand it. I myself really wish they could go back to it being real stock cars the way it used to be. I am not old enough to have expierenced that but I think it would make it a lot more fun to watch. Like others said though, I guess to be a fan now you have be a fan of the driver not the car. I do still find the cars pretty cool but I wish there was more variety in them. I'm just glad in 2013 the Cup cars will be getting manufacturer specific bodies again. Think of it like it was in the late 90's early 2000's. Not what we want, but at least the cars will all have their own shape. I think its a step in the right direction. I've never missed a race since 2000, but I know where most of you are coming from.

1997 Ford Thunderbird, Built NA 2V/ T-45
1997 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0L
2003 Lincoln LS V8 Bolt Ons
2009 Yamaha VMax
2011 F-150 Lariat Limited 6.2L 4WD
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium, Performance Pack, Recaros
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281_TBird View Post
It's too bad you guys feel the way you do about NASCAR. Although I do understand it. I myself really wish they could go back to it being real stock cars the way it used to be. I am not old enough to have expierenced that but I think it would make it a lot more fun to watch. Like others said though, I guess to be a fan now you have be a fan of the driver not the car. I do still find the cars pretty cool but I wish there was more variety in them. I'm just glad in 2013 the Cup cars will be getting manufacturer specific bodies again. Think of it like it was in the late 90's early 2000's. Not what we want, but at least the cars will all have their own shape. I think its a step in the right direction. I've never missed a race since 2000, but I know where most of you are coming from.
And I for one stand with you on NASCAR, Engineering aspects are my interest , Lost interest in drivers early 2000 .

2017 Mustang GT Base/ Making my own premium
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Poster

I used to write full-time for two NASCAR news sites (Insiderracingnews.com, Speedwaymedia.com), and the only thing I could do was write funny insult hit pieces, simply because the series is sooo bad. I had a fairly large fan following, simply because I found new and creative ways to talk about how bad the sport was getting to be, and they were tired of pounding their head against the wall, with nobody listening. I think the funniest bit was a story I had written about the need to ****can the existing 15" wheel/tire combo, and mandate at least a 17" or 18" wheel, and allow only a 14" brake rotor, so the guys aren't melting the inside tire beads off on short tracks and places that are hard on the brakes, like Martinsville.
I wrote the op-ed piece, and the announcers at the next week's race actually brought up the same issue, word for word, about updating to 17" or 18" wheels, and swing more in line with a lot of other racing series who run those sizes of wheels (less tuning grief with running the shorter-profile rubber)....but of course, they're still stuck on 15" tires and wheels.

However, the money shriveled down to nothing....and I can't afford to write as a volunteer....and I sure as hell don't like the sport, so I walked away. I still occasionally do a hit piece when I'm bored, and have a few free hours to wile away, but it's been a while since I've done any work for either site; my last piece for Insiderracingnews.com was an Onion-style story about Jimmie Johnson going on a robot attack, and the owner of the site got pissed about the hate mail from Johnson fans, never mind I asked the owner four times (and got okayed) if it was okay to do it.

Let's just say that it's gotten worse since I was doing it full time: there are only maybe 7-9 people who are making more than a pittance to cover this sport, the rest are only getting in to see the races for free if they do PR work for a race team or sponsor. The sport is going downhill, and to be honest, I think that V8 Supercar, once it begins running here in the states (first race here is at Austin's new F1 track in 2013), this series will be the death knell for NASCAR as we know it, although the new NASCAR offering from Ford looks eerily like an Aussie V8 Supercar...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.