Federal government passes new CAFE laws - 54.4 MPG avg by 2025 - Page 3 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Face the fact that I am in the minorty? I live in the 21st century and still enjoy the hell out of cars, no **** I'm in the minority lol. They're my primary occupation, my hobby, my catalyst for research and learning, and subject of dreams, fantasy and adventure. I think you're making the false assumption that I revile CAFE because I can't get a V8, I'm not that short sighted

I revile CAFE because it's yet another regulation that uses specious reasoning to showcase it's effectiveness. It's greatest effect was rewarding the automakers who already made small economical cars and punished those who didn't. In 1975, that was very lopsided. Now a days there's several different manufacturers, several different segments and more economical AND powerful cars than ever, all developed under a long stale CAFE target. The new target only serves to basically eliminate the CHOICE of a V6 and V8 option for the consumer, and that is what I am against.

Second of all, I don't have/nor want kids, so the stow the "for my children's sake" pitch. I just hear the silver bullet political ploy that it is. Yes, the future is full of challenges, foreseen and unforeseen, but guess what? It always has been. Future generations will find a way. I know that goes against the grain of modern society's coddling nature, but it's been the way humans have persevered forever and it takes quite the ego to assume that "only we can solve it for them". Personally, I think the worst thing we can do for future generations is sabotage the present and pile on loads and loads of debt for our kids to attempt to pay off for the futile efforts we come up with to keep the sky from falling on them. And there's far bigger fish to fry than the automobile.

As for electric companies, I'm sure there's no shenanigans going on with them and their elected overseers....

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Face the fact that I am in the minorty? I live in the 21st century and still enjoy the hell out of cars, no **** I'm in the minority lol. They're my primary occupation, my hobby, my catalyst for research and learning, and subject of dreams, fantasy and adventure. I think you're making the false assumption that I revile CAFE because I can't get a V8, I'm not that short sighted

I revile CAFE because it's yet another regulation that uses specious reasoning to showcase it's effectiveness. It's greatest effect was rewarding the automakers who already made small economical cars and punished those who didn't. In 1975, that was very lopsided. Now a days there's several different manufacturers, several different segments and more economical AND powerful cars than ever, all developed under a long stale CAFE target. The new target only serves to basically eliminate the CHOICE of a V6 and V8 option for the consumer, and that is what I am against.

Second of all, I don't have/nor want kids, so the stow the "for my children's sake" pitch. I just hear the silver bullet political ploy that it is. Yes, the future is full of challenges, foreseen and unforeseen, but guess what? It always has been. Future generations will find a way. I know that goes against the grain of modern society's coddling nature, but it's been the way humans have persevered forever and it takes quite the ego to assume that "only we can solve it for them". Personally, I think the worst thing we can do for future generations is sabotage the present and pile on loads and loads of debt for our kids to attempt to pay off for the futile efforts we come up with to keep the sky from falling on them. And there's far bigger fish to fry than the automobile.

As for electric companies, I'm sure there's no shenanigans going on with them and their elected overseers....
It's all for the children - our future! What kind of world are we leaving them ?!?!?

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post

Just because YOU don't want any kids doesn't mean that many more of us here won't have any kids. So, the "for our children's sake" is, and will always be, a viable argument.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
So what is the end game to protecting YOUR children then? What's the next horrible evil thing that's too dangerous for them that I'm doing now? Yeah, it will always be the viable argument because nobody dares counter it, pretty much the futurist equivalent of playing the race card. Although, ironically enough, "think of the children" was often used to fight against school desegregation

-Matt
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 AM
PostWhore

The end game is solutions are going to be generational. It's not going to be a quick fix solution that will create a better future for us in our lifetime, but perhaps in the lifetime of our kids and even our grandkids.

You brought up the race card example. This is a perfect example of what I mean. Racism is still around to this day, and while it isn't as prominent as it once was, it for sure is still around. One of many reasons why it's not as prominent today as it once was is simply because of a culture change that has taken several generations to implement, some of which had to be done through legislation.

With emissions and environmental protections in place and in fact growing environmental protection laws in place, things like CAFE make it so that vehicles can be sold here in the U.S. that meet those environmental protection standards. Granted, not all of it has been done as a result of CAFE itself, but they have been able to manage to do some of these changes themselves as has previously been mentioned. Now, these CAFE rules and whatnot are not seen by all consumers as something they want, so they'll go out and get whatever they can from somewhere else. Typically something older where the modern CAFE rules didn't apply back then and things can be gotten away from.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
The end game is solutions are going to be generational. It's not going to be a quick fix solution that will create a better future for us in our lifetime, but perhaps in the lifetime of our kids and even our grandkids.

You brought up the race card example. This is a perfect example of what I mean. Racism is still around to this day, and while it isn't as prominent as it once was, it for sure is still around. One of many reasons why it's not as prominent today as it once was is simply because of a culture change that has taken several generations to implement, some of which had to be done through legislation.

With emissions and environmental protections in place and in fact growing environmental protection laws in place, things like CAFE make it so that vehicles can be sold here in the U.S. that meet those environmental protection standards. Granted, not all of it has been done as a result of CAFE itself, but they have been able to manage to do some of these changes themselves as has previously been mentioned. Now, these CAFE rules and whatnot are not seen by all consumers as something they want, so they'll go out and get whatever they can from somewhere else. Typically something older where the modern CAFE rules didn't apply back then and things can be gotten away from.
Cultural change is never accomplished through legislation, it is always the other way around. When people want small fuel efficient cars, the manufacturers will produce them. When people don't want them, forcing the manufacturers to produce them is going to mean decreased sales, which means to offset the costs of development and make a profit, each car will have to be priced higher. If the price goes high enough, the demand goes down even more, and at a certain point, it won't be profitable to manufacture cars anymore. Cars are a commodity just like anything else, and their price must be determined by supply and demand. If you alter the supply without accounting for the demand, you create scarcity, which means simultaneously increased costs for the consumer and decreased profits for the supplier. It also means that people will meet their demand elsewhere, so a mandate that manufacturers make cars people don't want will only result in people keeping their old cars, which are going to consume just as much fuel as they do now, if not more. This is what CAFE does, and it is bad for everyone involved. This is basic economics, so that means that all these supposedly intelligent people in government either don't understand basic economics, or don't care about the harm they are doing to the american people now. If your goal is to reduce oil consumption, you have only 2 ways of doing it; alter the demand, or artificially increase the price. Purposely raising the price of gas would be political suicide, so that won't happen, so all that leaves is explaining to people why they should conserve oil, and just like any major cultural shift, it will not be an easy road and there will be push-back from people like myself and XR7-4.6, but simply passing a law only creates new problems without solving the existing ones. My opinion on the whole thing is leave it alone, and the price of oil will slowly go up to reflect how difficult it is to obtain, and as the price goes up, the demand will go down, and it will constantly remain in an equilibrium where people who want/need the fuel will be able to obtain it, and as the price goes up, people who can do without will spend their money elsewhere.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, since I fueled the fire by making a silly, funny comment - I'll say my real two cents.

I find it sad that the general public is so stupid that the government even HAS to make decisions for us. And it's not necessarily stupidity, either. Obviously, a lot don't even care that the oil is gonna run out at some point since it's not gonna be in our lifetimes. People lie, give and receive misinformation, and ignore the real facts be it by business, political, or personal reasons.

Fact is, it is what it is, CAFE rules are necessary, and the only argument is how fast the changes come along so y'all might as well get used to it.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:31 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Well, since I fueled the fire by making a silly, funny comment - I'll say my real two cents.

I find it sad that the general public is so stupid that the government even HAS to make decisions for us. And it's not necessarily stupidity, either. Obviously, a lot don't even care that the oil is gonna run out at some point since it's not gonna be in our lifetimes. People lie, give and receive misinformation, and ignore the real facts be it by business, political, or personal reasons.

Fact is, it is what it is, CAFE rules are necessary, and the only argument is how fast the changes come along so y'all might as well get used to it.
Speaking of misinformation, has anyone here taken a Statistics class in college? Anyone with college education knows that statistics can be made to portray things in any fashion you wish, there are so many variables that make statistics invalid, but if they benefit your cause you will use them regardless to make others follow.

Rick has it right, lying is just part of the political agenda to generate more money and funding to remove our fun and freedoms in order to fuel their(lawmakers and lobbyists) hobbies. Funny how those who are involved in legislation and politics are always 'excluded' from laws or end up in some loophole where they don't have to abide by the laws they create. Genius.

I drive an endangered species...they are being crushed at an alarming rate. Please do your part to preserve the Cougar species, and ensure they live on into the future.

1995 Mercury Cougar XR-7 4.6L 2V 5 Speed
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Collector's Edition Car#94
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:31 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Cat View Post
Speaking of misinformation, has anyone here taken a Statistics class in college? Anyone with college education knows that statistics can be made to portray things in any fashion you wish, there are so many variables that make statistics invalid, but if they benefit your cause you will use them regardless to make others follow.

Rick has it right, lying is just part of the political agenda to generate more money and funding to remove our fun and freedoms in order to fuel their(lawmakers and lobbyists) hobbies. Funny how those who are involved in legislation and politics are always 'excluded' from laws or end up in some loophole where they don't have to abide by the laws they create. Genius.

Published, objective, statistics based on scientific methods are used as tools to reach convergence conclusions.

Yes, one may be wary of "bumper sticker" statistics. However, statistical significance levels may show validity when those variables of probability, data, default position, and confidence, for example, are used in a comprehensive paper.

So no, one would not want to reach a conclusion based solely on a statistics. The stats' may show bias traits, corrupt motivations, errors etc...

Without understanding cause and effect, I often question statistics before reaching a personal conclusion on whether, or not, I think a statistic(s) are true, or false. And, I am not unique. Informally, these personal conclusions are based in part on observation, experience, assumption, conjecture, known facts, and wholistic knowledge. I will also not discount intuition.

Statistically, Since the first CAFE regulations were passed in 1975 new vehicles today, sold in the U.S., have become more efficient, and less polluting. Conclusion: Because of new CAFE regulations, new vehicles sold in 2025 will be even more efficient, and less polluting than vehicles of today.

Conclusion true, or false?

False: Based on small significant level.

Default position.
Consumer demand will dictate Prius or 7,000 lb. suv's. Which in turn is based on economics, i.e. the cost of a barrel of crude, GNP, GDP, etc, etc, etc...

Federal regulations, subsidies grants, loans, fines..."The greater good"?
Nah, not so much...

Race
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushtonracing View Post
Published, objective, statistics based on scientific methods are used as tools to reach convergence conclusions.

Yes, one may be wary of "bumper sticker" statistics. However, statistical significance levels may show validity when those variables of probability, data, default position, and confidence, for example, are used in a comprehensive paper.

So no, one would not want to reach a conclusion based solely on a statistics. The stats' may show bias traits, corrupt motivations, errors etc...

Without understanding cause and effect, I often question statistics before reaching a personal conclusion on whether, or not, I think a statistic(s) are true, or false. And, I am not unique. Informally, these personal conclusions are based in part on observation, experience, assumption, conjecture, known facts, and wholistic knowledge. I will also not discount intuition.

Statistically, Since the first CAFE regulations were passed in 1975 new vehicles today, sold in the U.S., have become more efficient, and less polluting. Conclusion: Because of new CAFE regulations, new vehicles sold in 2025 will be even more efficient, and less polluting than vehicles of today.

Conclusion true, or false?

False: Based on small significant level.

Default position.
Consumer demand will dictate Prius or 7,000 lb. suv's. Which in turn is based on economics, i.e. the cost of a barrel of crude, GNP, GDP, etc, etc, etc...

Federal regulations, subsidies grants, loans, fines..."The greater good"?
Nah, not so much...

Race
Well said!

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90SC 5-speed, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, soon to be transplanted into...
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-70 Torino GT Fastback project car. Needs EFI and a manual trans, but I'm not sure what motor to go with yet.
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Well said!

Thank you.
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Cat View Post
not only that, 99.99999% of all statistics are made-up on-the-spot.
post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
not only that, 99.99999% of all statistics are made-up on-the-spot.
No way! We must spread this statistic all across the interwebz to drive our anti-statistic agenda!

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.