Consumer Reports: Ford’s MyTouch system is frustrating, distracting - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Consumer Reports: Ford’s MyTouch system is frustrating, distracting

August 24, 2012 by powerblocktv, Consumer Reports, Ford, MyTouch

As automakers strive to improve technology in their vehicles, one company is learning that it’s coming back to bite them.
And consumers.

In an article from Consumer Reports, they say that Ford’s MyTouch system is frustrating and distracting.

There are various versions of the system, and they get worse as they get more advanced and expensive, Consumer Reports says.

Here is a specific list problems they point out in their story:

• The flush, touch-sensitive buttons on the dashboard below the screen are maddeningly fussy and can be hard to distinguish. You can’t just feel for them; you need to look directly at them to tap the right spot. Once we finally found and pressed the one we wanted, it frequently didn’t register or actuated multiple times. Sometimes you have to press hard. And this is supposed to be the simplest way to make control inputs.

• In some models, such as the 2013 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS, the dashboard screen is a long reach on top of the sloping console, which flies in the face of the whole “touch” concept. In the new 2013 Escape, it’s recessed in a binnacle that makes the corners of the screen hard to see or reach. Those corners are important because they select main functions like climate and audio. And the screens themselves are poorly designed for drivers. Despite some recent updates that brought marginal improvements, all have small fonts that are difficult to read quickly, and some pages are cluttered with too many buttons. And that makes it hard to quickly identify and touch the right one.

• The seek and tune buttons in the Sony version of MyFord Touch can change the station accidentally when your fingers get near them to turn the volume knob. The “sliders” in MyLincoln Touch are difficult to grasp and fine tune.

• Other than an analog speedometer, all the gauges are digital and can be arrayed in a seemingly infinite variety via two four-way touch pads on the steering-wheel, even on the fly. Screens flanking the speedometer can also select things like radio presets and climate settings. But even these menus are really involved and distracting to use while you’re driving. And unlike the center screen, a passenger can’t work them for you. Some screens seem like overkill: Do you need to see your fuel economy displayed with multiple bar graphs, selectable for every five, 10, or 30 minutes? This system needs an editor.

• The voice commands are helpful for complicated inputs, like entering a destination in the navigation system or choosing a playlist from a phone or an iPod. But using them for basic commands, such as temperature or radio tuning, is time consuming and cumbersome. It feels like a Band-Aid for the car’s poorly designed physical controls.

Is it possible that the technology is too advances for users at this time? Maybe. According to Consumer Reports, their frustration with MyFord Touch has hammered many Ford models’ test scores to a level below their threshold to recommend a model, and they wouldn’t recommend dealing with the frustrations of the technology on a daily basis.

http://blog.powerblocktv.com/?p=4812

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Kind of slapped together

The fix, to ME, seems to be a USB port where you can connect a laptop to set most of them.

I'm STILL wondering why radio volume and A/C temp and fan aren't hard knobs on EVERY car. But then I wonder why the brake light is fed through the PCM. Or the flashers. Or any of a number of other safety items.

RwP
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I got the MyFord Touch in my 2012 Focus... It's a love/hate relation... When it works, I love it.

The problems I have is after a few months of use, the system becomes corrupt? Best way I can describe it. It has issues syncing with my phone via BlueTooth, and my presets don't show labels. It has been at the dealer more times than I care for. Each time they reset the system, and works great for awhile.

The only way to really get it back in normal operation is to pull the fuse for the MFT system for a few, then put it back in. Forces the system to rebuild.

Part of the system is just unpractical. Such as the climate controls... Going though Sync or the MFT takes longer than to use the knob on the EATC module. Seems like a novelty feature. Except for enabling/disabling Dual climate feature.

One thing I wish Ford would improve on is the customization of the system. Being a computer, I wish I could move my favorite features on top. Instead BlueTooth streaming I have to scroll down, or for my AV In. I never use AM Radio, why is that on top? Or even change how many presets are available.

Don't know why Ford can't seem to figure out this system. But if they could work these kinks out (after how many years it has existed?) It'd be a great system.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
For a starter GUI system for a vehicle I think it's great. This is Ford's first major GUI system in it's vehicles after all.

I've had several vehicles with it and it's always performed well for me.

I'm sure in time Ford will come out with updates and patches like every other computer program ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Yeap my 2013 sho has it and it's great, works wanders, it's the idiots who don't understand that are having problems

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 6.34@109.89
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I think it's pretty like any other technological advancement - the techie geeks love it, the not so techie geeks (like the auto manufacturers - lets be honest here) don't!

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yea people who don't no computers hate it

86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
1/8 6.34@109.89
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear Poster

It's really not that hard to use anyway... Besides, with Sync you really don't need to take your hands off the wheel when driving. I've had good luck with Sync. It just has the little bugs here and there. Then again I am a techie guy. :P
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeap I love mine, all the buttons are in one place which is sweet

86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
1/8 6.34@109.89
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Poster

Placing HVAC and radio controls on a touch screen is merely a gimmick in my opinion. I see no advantage over traditional controls and a great potential for problems when these cars get older.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955-86 View Post
Placing HVAC and radio controls on a touch screen is merely a gimmick in my opinion. I see no advantage over traditional controls and a great potential for problems when these cars get older.
I second this.

What's wrong with rotary knobs for things like temp, fan, volume, and tune?

It was a LOT harder to tune the two Toyotas I rented in August than it is in Ruby or the old Malibu.

RwP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.