Lincoln Motor Company - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94mncougar
Matt, I agree that the Germans tended to do a lot more engineering in their cars early on, in my experience they just tended to break and be quite expensive. But to your point, most the people that had them didn't work on them; they turned the cars over to a mechanic, so that will most likely skew my argument.

Rick, the Germans have a lot of great designs and inventions. The problem is, they tend to over engineer without necessarily making things more robust. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. German history is impressive, but in the current world, I would rather have a car that does the same task more simply, cheaply, and reliably.

Good points in this thread. I wish Lincoln could provide a product that stood out from Ford and their competition a bit, but I don't see a way for them to change.

Stephen

Winter mods included:
- Developing Rocker Rust
- Saggy Suspension - fixed!
- Chipped paint
- I'm sure more to come... TOTALED
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
A lot of the expense and lack of owner maintenance is the result of the price point exclusivity the German "luxury" makes have foisted upon us. In Europe where they're as common and as expensive as Crown Vics(and used in similar capacity) they're much much cheaper to maintain.

-Matt
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulford8 View Post
Currently I dont think they play up what they have well. The MKZ comes with an optional SHO motor and is more loaded if that is possible and quieter..
Now if Lincoln did in fact have the SHO motor and AWD in the MKZ as you stated and not in the MKS as it actually does, they'd have something special.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor22 View Post
The International Scout had ABS in the 70s...
Those 'anti-lock' options were rear brake only - same thing with the Ford. Teve's 4 wheel anti-lock is a totally different animal.
And for what's it worth, they sucked...

94mncougar, I like some of the ideas German's have because I felt just the opposite - a lot of their ideas are very simple. Ever take a driveshaft out of an early 90s BMW? It has three bolts holding a simple design (similar to a rag joint) instead of u-joints. Very simple idea that works well.

~Rick
TCCoA Sig
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:55 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94mncougar
The last German car I went to take the drive shaft out of was an absolute pain in the @$$. Like I said, my opinion is based on my (terrible) experiences with them. I wish I could have the experiences that people that like them have had, but at this point, I don't want to deal with them.

XR7 - I agree completely on the cost being a location thing. I did a lot of overseas travel (SE Asia) and they were very common there, too. The maintenance was a lot cheaper, but I'm basing my opinion on my experiences here in MN.

All my whining aside, I would turn down an M3 if it showed up at my door

Winter mods included:
- Developing Rocker Rust
- Saggy Suspension - fixed!
- Chipped paint
- I'm sure more to come... TOTALED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.