Subprime financing on the rise in new car sales, leasing too... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Subprime financing on the rise in new car sales, leasing too...

Filed under: Car Buying, Chevrolet, Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volvo, Earnings/Financials

We all remember the financial crisis that began several years back. At its core was a splurge of subprime lending for housing loans. The housing bubble burst, triggering a collapse of the mortgage-backed securities market. Apparently, those types of loans still exist in the automotive industry, and the market share for these types of "nonprime, subprime, and deep subprime," loans has grown 13.6 percent compared to the third quarter a year ago.

According to an Automotive News report, high-risk lending expanded to 24.8 percent of total loans in Q3, up from 21.9 percent for this time last year. As this level increased, average credit scores of borrowers dropped to 755, down from 763 a year ago. In that time, the average financing amount increased $90 per vehicle, to $25,963.

At 818, Volvo maintains the highest per-owner credit score, while Mitsubishi has the lowest, at 694. The highest rate of borrowers was at Toyota, with 14 percent of the market, followed by Ford with 13.1 percent and Chevrolet at 11.1.

Part of the growth in lending is the willingness to offer longer-term loans. Dealerships are starting to offer 60, 72 and 84 month borrowing periods. Carmakers are reluctant to do so, as it takes the customer off the market too long, yet the seven-year loan period is the fastest-growing category in automotive borrowing.

It all points to an industry that is eager to maintain the wave of recovery even at the risk of potentially aggressive lending practices.Subprime financing on the rise in new car sales, leasing too originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 08:44:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Thanks for posting this Im sure some stocks will soar before they bust I hope I can sell before the bust at the top of the inflated bubble. Buy low sell high simple enough right?

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Thanks for posting this Im sure some stocks will soar before they bust I hope I can sell before the bust at the top of the inflated bubble. Buy low sell high simple enough right?
I wish I could buy stocks in "punctuation." They seem scarce in this sentence.

In all seriousness, this article did pique a question for me.
Q: How many vehicles are purchased outright vs. financed?

According to this article, its:
70.5% finance
18.5% lease
11% purchase outright

Q2: I wonder how this number changes across manufacturers?
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....referer=advice

I couldn't find any data here but I'm willing to bet, based on my belief that america is a showy society, that luxury makes are financed at a far higher percentage than say, non-luxury makes. In addition, I'm willing to bet that budget makes (KIA vs Hyundai, Scion vs Toyota, etc) are financed more than non-luxury makes.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.