Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Ford walking away from NHRA Drag Racing at the end of 2014

I found this story on SCCoA.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130969

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro street rich @ SCCoA
At the end of the 2014 season Ford will no longer be involved with drag racing. This will affect everyone of us as parts will dry up fast. I know teams like John Force will march on but even for him it will be hard. This might be just the start of belt tightening from them.

This truly is a sad day for the blue oval camp, and for anyone with a ford toy. You better get your extra parts asap before they are all gone. I know that they have already pulled all the big block crate engines and who knows what else is going away...
This is really a sad day in our sport....

They were even talking about it on the TV when they talked to the Force camp at the track. This has been the buzz all week around me and where I work.

So far they are going to stay in NASCAR, but even that has a grey cloud around it... The price of going fast is getting way out of control and there is no end to it. Every time one of the companies steps up to the plate it cost more for everyone else to keep even...

This is truly a sad time in the automotive hobby as we know it.....Rich
See this article for more details:

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...he-end-of-2014

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 08-01-2013 at 05:51 AM.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Big whoop. I never understood how Ford could justify casting 40+ year old pushrod V8 parts decades after the last one was produced in a Ford car/truck anyway. This doesn't come as a surprise to me at all, nor do I really care. The aftermarket has better parts and support for those motors anyway.

And Ford Racing hasn't had anything worthwhile in their catalog pertaining to us or even SN95 guys for 3 years. It's all proliferated with S197 dress up junk.

-Matt
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 AM
PostWhore

Gosh Matt, your not much into the vintage Pre-80's cars. Go to any cruise in Michigan and you will see tons of Ford FE powered cars and trucks that have been modified to push out tons of HP and FUN. There is more to life than 302s and 1980's Foxes.

Maybe they know something we don't, like possible government restriction and clamp down of cars that get less than 20 MPG. Don't laugh, it can happen.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
How do you figure that? I LOVE tons of pre 80s cars(except Fairlanes, as you know ), but how many people with pre 80s are buying FRPP sourced parts besides valve covers and other dress up items for them? Again, The aftermarket and salvage market has FEs 335s 385s, and Windsors pretty well covered, better than FRPP does in fact. It makes no business sense to have a casting foundry dedicated to engines older than their engineering staff just for NHRA competition, while the company is trying to be competitive in their actual lucrative business.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 08-01-2013 at 02:04 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Boost!!!

yup... I've been into ford cars my whole life , and the only things i have ever bought from frpp are floor mats, steering wheel covers, license plates, and spark plug wires.

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by modularbird View Post
yup... I've been into ford cars my whole life , and the only things i have ever bought from frpp are floor mats, steering wheel covers, license plates, and spark plug wires.
No gears?
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
I'm sure they'll still make gears.

Here's an excerpt of the Ford statement that is in the article that I linked above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford
“Ford is not getting out of drag racing,” the statement read. “We are fully committed to continue our support of grassroots sportsman drag racing with our Mustang Cobra Jet, parts support and contingency programs. Enthusiasts and production-based racing is at the heart of what we do.

"We have, however, made a business decision to conclude our team sponsorships and support in the NHRA Mello Yello Series at the end of the 2014 season. This decision was based on an ongoing assessment of our motorsport programs’ effectiveness and the strategic alignment with our company objectives globally.”

The teams affected most by this decision are John Force Racing, Tasca Racing and Tim Wilkerson Racing. Both are locked into deals which expire at the end of 2014.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Boost!!!

I haven't bought brand new gears from them. I bought a pre assembled 3.73 tl dif for my last car from someone here, and my current car had them already installed, so no worries there. I did forget about the FRPP gears though.

Blake

1996 thunderbird lx (the silver slut)
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=387

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
This isn't an end to FRPP. The reason that exists is to sell off the shelf parts that not only fit as upgrades to current/recent production cars, but a lot of times are repackaged factory equipped replacement parts, offered at discount. Gears fall directly into that, as Ford hasn't strayed from 8.8s

And I'm pretty sure NHRA doesn't use 8.8s for that matter.

-Matt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I'm sure they'll still make gears.

Here's an excerpt of the Ford statement that is in the article that I linked above.

me thinks that his has a lot to do with the long term viability of NHRA. Since the turn of the century, NHRA has had quite a few big sponsors. With the withdrawal of Winston, its been Powerade, Monster, and Mello Yello. I think the writing is on the wall for them.

But, I think it also has to do with a massive paradigm shift in the auto industry. GM and Chrysler's bailout, the green "thing", and market volatility. But, I think its also has a lot to do with the American love affair with cars. Having gizmos is the new hotness and the hotrods are becoming nichey (and expensive).

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird 14.17@98.57mph AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

NHRA is out of touch for the Manufactures. From a marketing stand point why should Ford dump tons on money on a team that's running parts they don't sell and haven't made in nearly 20yrs. On top of that Big Blocks are out dated (not arguing they can have a high HP ceiling) when you have small blocks leaving the factory with nearly 100HP more than the Big Blocks did (net Hp not gross). Plus a 460 long block will run about $12-13k a Coyote is what ~$15k.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM

Looks like there will be "no school" for being "old school".
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
Does this mean Ford is getting out of NASCAR?

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakTbird96 View Post
Does this mean Ford is getting out of NASCAR?
No. NASCAR and NHRA are completely different entities.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Dieing entities....

-Matt
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Is something burning?..

Garage
Well that blows...

-Jonathan
The DD:ECOBLEWST:2016 Mustang Ecoboost 2.3-12.46@107
1995 Thunderbird LX
The "High Mileage Thrasher" 1997 JL 4.6 bird!

generated by sloganizer.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.