Anyone else excited about the 2015 4 cylinder Mustang? - TCCoA Forums

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Age: 31
Posts: 199
Anyone else excited about the 2015 4 cylinder Mustang?

Please don't judge me for the source I post. I'm not a tree hugger hippie but it's a site a came across.


http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ce-1993-photos

I see a lot of people knocking 4 cylinders but 305 hp and 300 lb lbs of torque is pretty Impressive. And with room for improvement.
A.Baker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
rbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston Clear Lake
Posts: 7,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Baker View Post
Please don't judge me for the source I post. I'm not a tree hugger hippie but it's a site a came across.


http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ce-1993-photos

I see a lot of people knocking 4 cylinders but 305 hp and 300 lb lbs of torque is pretty Impressive. And with room for improvement.
Will not sell well.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
rbrown is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tupelo MS
Posts: 23
Since I own 3 SVO's, I'm anxious to get a close look at the ecoboost.
High Roller is offline  
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Age: 31
Posts: 199
I don't know if it'll sell well or not. So far it has been received well and received good reviews. Supposedly topped to the gills with every option is around $29000. In my opinion, it's easier to mod a car that already came boosted. I'm actually excited about it.
A.Baker is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tupelo MS
Posts: 23
As far as making horsepower, the SVO's started with 175 to 210 hp stock. I know of several that are making well over 300hp. If you're into drag racing, check out Jon Huber's 79 Mustang. Probably makes around 800 hp, and has posted an 8 second quarter mile.
High Roller is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: St. Louis
Age: 40
Posts: 2,638
Not a bad read. And they're wrong. The Mustang has had an IRS in it's 50yr. history. I guess they forgot the 03+ Cobra's, 2000 Cobra R, etc...

It may take a year but I'd bet they will sell well, and if they sell good enough I could see it replacing the 3.7 6 option at some point.

I'll still get my 5.0 though. Don't care if it's boosted or not. Just can't get past the sound of the new 5.0 w/ good exhaust. They don't call it the "loud pedal" for no reason

I'd rather have them put a decent 6-speed manual under it instead of the questionable Getrag MT82. Go back to Borg!

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
FordMan77 is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Age: 31
Posts: 199
Well considering stock it has more hp than our engines in pi form, and just 85 less than the supercharged dohc cobras, it's a bargin. 29k fully loaded then I'd assume starting price will be around 24-25k.
A.Baker is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
Tbird1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 25
Posts: 2,134
Nope. Can't afford one and I'm not particularly fond of the new look. Their trying way to hard to make the mustang something it's not.

The old SVOs came with 175hp and you can get 300 out of it? That's almost double! Could the stock internals handle that kind of power? Or is that fully built..

-Patrick
9.63@77mph on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-images/129479-tbird1997-pictues.html
Tbird1997 is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator
 
XR7-4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Roselle IL
Age: 28
Posts: 15,318
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Meh. You know, I love the old SVOs as much as anyone but I always looked at them as an alternate universe Mustang rather than a real Mustang, a universe of which the next evolution would ultimately have been the Probe. I can't say I like that potential direction with the current one and if I were to shell out money for the ever more expensive Mustang, it certainly won't have the exhaust note of an Integra. Plus, It's going to weigh 1000lbs more than the original SVO.

Oh and Foxbody styling > S550 styling
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77 View Post
Not a bad read. And they're wrong. The Mustang has had an IRS in it's 50yr. history. I guess they forgot the 03+ Cobra's, 2000 Cobra R, etc...
99 and 01 Cobras too.

-Matt
XR7-4.6 is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Age: 31
Posts: 199
I like the new look. In fact the only mustang I don't like the look of really is the Mustang ll. But considering iford touch , back up camera and irs are all standard I think it's sweet. But like anything else fan based you either love it or hate it madly.
A.Baker is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,949
Garage
I am curious about the 4cyl being the mid-level engine vs. the V6.
I know you can do some pretty amazing things with direct injection and turbos but will they be able to make a significant different in actual vehicle performance (not just numbers) over low end engine (300HP out of a 3.7L V6 is a pretty nice improvement over the 3.8L V6 that came with our tbirds).

I'm specifically interested in how much torque it develops and at what RPM as that would affect acceleration. After all, I think the average "sports" car driver expects to accelerate faster if they spend more money for a "higher performance engine."

As far as "room to grow" is concerned, I'm not as optimistic.
* I suspect that the 2.3L turbo fords of a generation ago made only 175HP because that was the most HP their manufacturing tolerances and tuning capabilities would allow without sacrificing reliability.
* Since they probably don't have the option of detuning the V6 below what it made in the previous gen mustang to increase the delta between the base V6 and the midlevel Ecoboost, I wonder if they will decide the push the envelope more on the Ecoboost engine to widen the gap (and therefore justify the price premium). This means that for the aftermarket, there might be less tunability left on the table (aka turn up the boost with the stock turbo, fueling system, etc and sacrifice fuel economy+reliability for more powah).

While I'm not very likely to be a mustang buyer for this generation in the near future (my DDs are always econoboxes given my commute), I do get them as rental cars when I travel. I really do home this next gens interior improves over the last one.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
S4gunn is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Age: 31
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
I am curious about the 4cyl being the mid-level engine vs. the V6.
I know you can do some pretty amazing things with direct injection and turbos but will they be able to make a significant different in actual vehicle performance (not just numbers) over low end engine (300HP out of a 3.7L V6 is a pretty nice improvement over the 3.8L V6 that came with our tbirds).

I'm specifically interested in how much torque it develops and at what RPM as that would affect acceleration. After all, I think the average "sports" car driver expects to accelerate faster if they spend more money for a "higher performance engine."

As far as "room to grow" is concerned, I'm not as optimistic.
* I suspect that the 2.3L turbo fords of a generation ago made only 175HP because that was the most HP their manufacturing tolerances and tuning capabilities would allow without sacrificing reliability.
* Since they probably don't have the option of detuning the V6 below what it made in the previous gen mustang to increase the delta between the base V6 and the midlevel Ecoboost, I wonder if they will decide the push the envelope more on the Ecoboost engine to widen the gap (and therefore justify the price premium). This means that for the aftermarket, there might be less tunability left on the table (aka turn up the boost with the stock turbo, fueling system, etc and sacrifice fuel economy+reliability for more powah).

While I'm not very likely to be a mustang buyer for this generation in the near future (my DDs are always econoboxes given my commute), I do get them as rental cars when I travel. I really do home this next gens interior improves over the last one.
-g
They claim it has 305 torque but I'm not sure they say at what rpm. They also say it's an economic minded turbo so it's smaller. So bigger turbo, intercooler, larger pipjng, external waste gate ect.. you know...the works. Typical upgrades to already boosted cars. Look at the number the tuner guys are getting out of the 4 cylinder subarus
A.Baker is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator
 
XR7-4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Roselle IL
Age: 28
Posts: 15,318
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
So 30k for a 4 cyl Mustang, + $10,000 in warranty voiding aftermarket parts... Yeah what a bargain...

-Matt
XR7-4.6 is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
theterminator93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Avon Lake, Ohio
Age: 29
Posts: 8,611
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Baker View Post
They claim it has 305 torque but I'm not sure they say at what rpm. They also say it's an economic minded turbo so it's smaller. So bigger turbo, intercooler, larger pipjng, external waste gate ect.. you know...the works. Typical upgrades to already boosted cars. Look at the number the tuner guys are getting out of the 4 cylinder subarus
Yeah, but you gotta rev it to the moon to get there, and it sounds... like... craaaapppp...

I just can't do four bangers in anything I would drive for fun. A grocery getter or commuter, sure, but there's no way a 4 banger will replace a V8 for me.

I think the target market segment here is for the folks who want the good MPG a small 4 banger gives but not the lazy drive.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 06-12-2014 at 04:29 PM.
theterminator93 is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 05:22 PM
PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,949
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Yeah, but you gotta rev it to the moon to get there, and it sounds... like... craaaapppp...

I just can't do four bangers in anything I would drive for fun. A grocery getter or commuter, sure, but there's no way a 4 banger will replace a V8 for me.

I think the target market segment here is for the folks who want the good MPG a small 4 banger gives but not the lazy drive.
Have you ever driven a well balanced car on a road course or is it all about 1/4 mile (grand prix du stoplight) for you?

Weight does seriously affect handling and while i would never drive one on the street, a Miata is quite a fun car to drive on the track. You can literally fling it into corners and have a blast in such a way that a heavier car (like one with a V8) cannot match.

As for sounding like crap, well, to each their own. I've heard some simply awful larger displacement cars on the track as well as some glorious sounding ones. I will admit that most coffee can exhaust modded 4cyls sound pretty bad but when done well (esp with a turbo whine), they can be aurally pleasing as well.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
S4gunn is offline  
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator
 
XR7-4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Roselle IL
Age: 28
Posts: 15,318
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
It's a lot cheaper and a lot more accessible to go to a dragstrip or accelerate from stoplights than it is to go to a road course. Handling is great but a 3800lb 4 cylinder mustang isn't going to be THAT much better than a 3900lb Coyote Mustang through the corners, and the 99.999% of the time you aren't at an expensive far away road course you'll have much more fun with the V8.

As far as sound, I like electric guitars more than Tubas. My preference for V8s vs. I4s is the same Personally I hate the sound of turbo and blower whine, doesn't matter how many cylinders.

-Matt
XR7-4.6 is offline  
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
bowez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NEAR
Posts: 2,423
I'd rather have a boosted 4 banger than a V-6 (inline would be something different though). Espically since the Ecoboost can run on 87 octane. Will it sale probably not well look at the SC (fastest MN-12 but the ignorant masses demanded a slower and less efficient V8).

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
bowez is offline  
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:33 PM
PostWhore
 
S4gunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,949
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
It's a lot cheaper and a lot more accessible to go to a dragstrip or accelerate from stoplights than it is to go to a road course. Handling is great but a 3800lb 4 cylinder mustang isn't going to be THAT much better than a 3900lb Coyote Mustang through the corners, and the 99.999% of the time you aren't at an expensive far away road course you'll have much more fun with the V8.

As far as sound, I like electric guitars more than Tubas. My preference for V8s vs. I4s is the same Personally I hate the sound of turbo and blower whine, doesn't matter how many cylinders.
Dragstrips vs. road courses: For most places in america, I concede that point.

However, you could argue that a better handling car can offer more legal fun on the road (esp if you live in an area with twisty roads) than a high HP car that will just get you from 0MPH-extralegal speeds that much faster (as even an anemic car like a Prius will exceed the speed limit -- eventually).

As far as a Mustang is concerned, well, I agree that it's a pig so 100-200Lbs isn't going to matter in the handling dept.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)
S4gunn is offline  
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Age: 31
Posts: 199
I figured this site would be more accepting because of the turbo coupe. Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have the v8. I just though the 4 banger was cool. I can say though, I really don't quit understand the I4 hate. The miata is one of the most raced cars in the world. And dang good at it too. As well as the Honda S2000, and if you want to consider flat 4's then the you can't deny the achievements of the Subarus and the new brz's and frs's. These cars pull numbers that mustangs don't pull on the track. Not drag strip always. However I believe that all new cars are overpriced.
A.Baker is offline  
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator
 
XR7-4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Roselle IL
Age: 28
Posts: 15,318
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I agree with that, but there's a lot of places that twisty roads are few and far between as well, depending on region. Here for the most part the twistiest roads are in suburban subdivisions where spirited driving is downright reckless unless some sort of zombie apocalypse gets those pesky kids out of the way That largely just leaves highway and boulevards for spirited driving and that means mashing the go pedal and rowing through the gears.

-Matt
XR7-4.6 is offline  
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
theterminator93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Avon Lake, Ohio
Age: 29
Posts: 8,611
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I agree with that, but there's a lot of places that twisty roads are few and far between as well, depending on region. Here for the most part the twistiest roads are in suburban subdivisions where spirited driving is downright reckless unless some sort of zombie apocalypse gets those pesky kids out of the way That largely just leaves highway and boulevards for spirited driving and that means mashing the go pedal and rowing through the gears.
^^ What he said.

The most lateral Gs I get to see on any given day come from accelerating through a turn onto another street. Although I did take the Bird with me to SE Ohio last summer where there are lots of twisties, and that was fun...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 155k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
96 Ivory Mark VIII 230k, stock 4.6 32v on coils; New engine at 185k
Gone but not forgotten: 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
theterminator93 is offline  
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator
 
XR7-4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Roselle IL
Age: 28
Posts: 15,318
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Baker View Post
I figured this site would be more accepting because of the turbo coupe. Don't get me wrong. I'd rather have the v8. I just though the 4 banger was cool. I can say though, I really don't quit understand the I4 hate. The miata is one of the most raced cars in the world. And dang good at it too. As well as the Honda S2000, and if you want to consider flat 4's then the you can't deny the achievements of the Subarus and the new brz's and frs's. These cars pull numbers that mustangs don't pull on the track. Not drag strip always. However I believe that all new cars are overpriced.
The question was if we were excited about it, in which I'd say should be an unsurprising no. We're not a Mustang site and our cars have had IRS since 89, so big whoop if the Mustang got it in 2014. I think the Ecobboost 4 would be a *****in engine swap in a TurboCoupe, or better yet a 84-86 XR-7, so I'm not hating on it either, just that I personally have zero interest in it.

-Matt
XR7-4.6 is offline  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Age: 31
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The question was if we were excited about it, in which I'd say should be an unsurprising no. We're not a Mustang site and our cars have had IRS since 89, so big whoop if the Mustang got it in 2014. I think the Ecobboost 4 would be a *****in engine swap in a TurboCoupe, or better yet a 84-86 XR-7, so I'm not hating on it either, just that I personally have zero interest in it.
Point taken. I'm not butt hurt. I was just surprised. I like all cars, so I'm not brand loyal or displacement/number of cylinders loyal. I like it all. I've been into old Ford trucks to Hondas, to go karts. And yes we all love Thunderbirds, but (*putting on flame retardant suit*) I've always kinda compared Thunderbirds to Mustangs. Or put them on a similar level.

Oh and as far as handling over power. Well I live in east Tennessee, where it's all curvy roads and ridges. I live 30 minutes from the dragon, so....I like handling little cars. I can say I'm impressed with the Thunderbird handling. I had a 95 mustang I wouldn't drive as hard on curves.
A.Baker is offline  
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator
 
XR7-4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Roselle IL
Age: 28
Posts: 15,318
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Don't get me wrong on that either, I'm a huge fan of slow as molasses 70s Diesel Mercedes Benzes, old GTI/GLI VWs, 911s, ect. There's all sorts of non V8 RWD stuff I like, so long as the cars have identity. I just like models to stay segregated and not try to please everyone, which is what the whole of the automotive industry has been trending towards lately. I wasn't even thrilled to hear the Mustang was getting standard IRS , the SRA was part of the charm.

-Matt
XR7-4.6 is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:47 PM
6th Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NC
Age: 35
Posts: 583
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...st-first-ride/

It's funny that Ford still hasn't released any power numbers for the 2015 Mustang lineup yet... That article says it's a twin scroll turbo on that 2.3L. That likely means fast spool-up.. so the full boost torque hit will come on pretty quick, and low in the RPM range. All of this doesn't help its ugliness, though.

I don't know whether to believe the part of the article where it says there'll be brake line lock functionality to come on the manual shift car - sounds fishy.

All that said.. I'll keep my Turbo Coupe.

a black car.
Sophosis is offline  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 PM
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Age: 36
Posts: 1,411
If its anything like the 2.0T in the Cadillac ATS, I'd pass. While the 2.0T makes ok power and the relatively light car moves reasonably well with it, it sounds like garbage and overall is too 'ricey' for me. I much prefer the 3.6DI v6 in my CTS - it sounds pretty mean and skits rather well when you get on it for the relatively small v6 that it is in the rather heavy car that the CTS is. My CTS is actually quite a bit faster than my Cougar - at least for now.

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: 14.68@94MPh
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: 14.067@96.29MPh (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
Cougar281 is offline  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
6th Gear Poster
 
Torinocator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnsboro, SC
Age: 53
Posts: 527
My sister had a 4-cylinder 4-eyed Mustang. The car itself was nice, except for the fact it ate a timing chain. It was a total slug on the road.

I believe the EPA regulations had more to do with the low horsepower ratings back then. Porsche 911s that came to the U.S. could have 30-50 horses less than their European brethren back then.

How many people can think of a 4-cylinder Mustang without having 80s flashbacks?



Now, an English Ford Escort with a Cosworth 4-banger is a different matter, though.

Use a tool, don't be one...

-Mark

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
1970 Torino GT 351C 4V

...................................GT
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\..|||||
Torinocator is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
The Great Obucina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: palm beach county
Age: 35
Posts: 9,966
Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
I think its awesome. Smaller displacement is the future. If that means that the manufacturer is hitting its Total fleet mileage requirements, that is a good thing. A turbo 4 cylinder sportscar is NOT a bad thing, just another option and its here to stay. Remember, the same company offering this car also has a plug in Fusion AND a little known pickup called the Raptor.

Look at it this way......a fast spooling 4 cylinder Mustang? Ford also has a small displacement v6 with a pair of turbos in a 5200lb pickup and if you thing its not going to sell, it accounts for about 40% of its sales. BTW, if anyone wants to prove that it sucks, tell me what day you want to go to the dragstrip.

Ill finish with this, i drove my Tbird from 98-2012, its been a member on the old BBS system and have been here a long time. Ive taken my car apart, did all the cool mods, put 22 track passes on it. But, times change, the tech improves, more power can be made with less and retain awesome mileage. My 'bird got 18mpg in town, my current in town trip average is 17.3mpg. And i have air conditioned seats!

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird 14.17@98.57mph AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
The Great Obucina is offline  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tupelo MS
Posts: 23
I own a 1984 and a 1986 SVO, and they are miles above the mid 80's NA 2.3 fours. Both my Mustangs are basically stock, so the horsepower range is somewhere in the range of 175 to 210, but I know of more than a few that are making 300 or better. That's with mods to intake, exhaust, ECUs, etc. with stock internals. There are lots of differences to the ecoboost 2.3, but as for the Lima engine, they are bulletproof. Check out Jon Huber's 79 Mustang Ghia. Granted, it is a highly modified built turbocharged 2.5 but he's making over 900 hp and running the quarter mile in the high 8 seconds. That's pretty damned good for an all steel street legal Mustang. As far as the sound, both my cars have 3" downpipes going into 2.25" dual exhausts one with plain old cheap glasspacks and one with Flowmasters and neither sounds "ricey." As for me, I'm looking farward to checking the new ecoboost Mustang out. I just hope it lives up to my expectations.
High Roller is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear Poster
 
'93MN12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 78
The look of the 2015 is growing on me. I know that in the past the cobra had an IRS, but the big deal is that you get one standard on every mustang, no more solid axle. I like that, and there's always the debate about heritage (live axle) vs. the new style (independent) but the car has been around for 50 years, and it needs things like this and the Ecoboost to stay current and updated, especially to increase buyer interest overseas. And if you don't want an inline 4, the V6 is still available and for less $

1993 Thunderbird LX. 3.8L with Underdrive Pulleys, Ford Racing Limited-Slip Differential, Intake & Dual Exhaust, and I like to run advanced timing
'93MN12 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome