Ford: We'll be mass-producing self-driving cars within five years - TCCoA Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Ford: We'll be mass-producing self-driving cars within five years

Ford: We'll be mass-producing self-driving cars within five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fields: Ford CEO
Today is a milestone moment in Ford’s history.

We’re announcing our intent to have fully autonomous vehicles in commercial operation for a ride-hailing or ride-sharing service beginning in 2021. This is significant. Ford will be mass producing vehicles capable of driving fully autonomously within five years. No steering wheel. No gas pedals. No brake pedals. A driver will not be required.

If someone had told you 10 years ago -- even five years ago -- that a major American car company would announce the mass production of a vehicle with no steering wheel, you would have said they were crazy.

As little as four years ago, our approach was aligned with the thinking of most automakers today, which is taking incremental steps to achieve full autonomy by advancing driver assist technology. This is not how we look at it today. We learned that to achieve full autonomy, we’d have to take a completely different pathway.

Read more

Pretty interesting stuff ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Yay, a world where lazy frail old fucks get ushered around in what are effectively private trolley cars even sooner!

-Matt
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I am torn on automated cars.

On the plus side, they'll abide by road laws, so they will drive to the right, keep an even speed, and signal. They won't hog the passing lane, brake check you, etc.

On the negative side, how long till they're "mandated", and will they have some kind of manual control option?

I don't want to be a passenger in my own car. I want to drive it, be in control of it.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
PI Swapped NPI motor with some port work on the heads, PI cams, 80mm MAF, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't think mandating is what we'll have to worry about, it's how many burdens are passed onto manually driven cars by way of taxes, fines, fuel, insurance, ect.

The pollyannas I see commenting who are all in on this are patronizingly attempting to reassure us car loving luddites that embracing an autonomous future will make the world better for us too, yet are completely overlooking(or glossing over) the financial toll of this. This approach is essentially a ride sharing program by which you own the ride but you don't necessarily have control over it until it's needed (basically owning a slave chauffeur), so the responsibilities of insurance speed enforcement and even fuel(if they're electric) are all brought into question, and if these aren't burdens autonomous riders have that lost revenue will ultimately have to be transferred to us manual operators, which will ultimately result in making driving an occasional recreational activity for the RICH. Fuck them, fuck Google and fuck Ford.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:39 PM
4th Gear Poster

I'm all for automated cars as long as they are confined to California.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I don't think mandating is what we'll have to worry about, it's how many burdens are passed onto manually driven cars by way of taxes, fines, fuel, insurance, ect.

The pollyannas I see commenting who are all in on this are patronizingly attempting to reassure us car loving luddites that embracing an autonomous future will make the world better for us too, yet are completely overlooking(or glossing over) the financial toll of this. This approach is essentially a ride sharing program by which you own the ride but you don't necessarily have control over it until it's needed (basically owning a slave chauffeur), so the responsibilities of insurance speed enforcement and even fuel(if they're electric) are all brought into question, and if these aren't burdens autonomous riders have that lost revenue will ultimately have to be transferred to us manual operators, which will ultimately result in making driving an occasional recreational activity for the RICH. Fuck them, fuck Google and fuck Ford.
You forgot Tesla.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Custom User Title

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Bob View Post
I'm all for automated cars as long as they are confined to California.
Fuck that, we are getting the Hyperloop.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dDUBb View Post
Fuck that, we are getting the Hyperloop.

Why does that remind me of this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZDOI0cq6GZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

I'm not Human enough to be human; but I'm trying to fit in, and I'm learning to fake it.

"Never said Hibbity..." - Brian Williams
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Custom User Title

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Why does that remind me of this:
... seriously, its been a long delayed project - mass transit from SF to LA would be awesome. Then take it from LA to Vegas and were good to go.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:41 AM
5th Gear Poster

I believe this is headed toward a "no ownership society". We see it already with computer software. What a set up for the manufacturer, monthly fees creating an endless stream of income and screw the public, we can do what we want. Americans are selling out their freedom for what they think is safety.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 AM
̇

Garage
"Back in my day, we use to drive the car instead of the car driving us"

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Slightly Disjointed
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer471 View Post
I believe this is headed toward a "no ownership society". We see it already with computer software. What a set up for the manufacturer, monthly fees creating an endless stream of income and screw the public, we can do what we want. Americans are selling out their freedom for what they think is safety.
Safety will probably be it's undoing anyway. The proponents seem to love bringing up autopilot for planes and rail but planes aren't clustered in traffic and dodging obsticales, and trains are on fucking rails! A dweeb with a soldering iron and $20 worth of components could whip up an autopilot system for a ye olde tyme locomotive and probably be 90% as effective as what the railroads actually have! A handful of googlemobiles under intense scrutiny and an ultraluxury car in the beta testing phase to me don't represent the true picture of that future. In a scale as small as autonomous cars currently are flying cars could be viable. But when you have mass production to contend with and buggy software and software updates muddying the waters I can almost garuntee at the very least the accident rate won't go down from whatever it is today, even if the entire fleet were forced into it.

I think the social aspect is blown out of proportion, it seems to me like a pseudo futuristic counter to the new urbanism movement, younger people have been flocking into dense cities for the car free lifestyle but many ultimately realize what their grandparents did and don't want to put up with the tradeoffs(noise, crime, cost) so they roll out this solution to keep the sprawling suburban lifestyle viable but without the car burden city dwellers are attracted to. Good news is last time that happened was with streetcars in the turn of the century, and since they were privately owned entities the next cheapest solution prevailed - privately owned and operated cars!

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.