TCCoA Forums banner

1998 t-bird

24K views 84 replies 33 participants last post by  97CatMan 
#1 ·
I heard there was a 98 t-bird but i did not see the link for the picture. Do any one have any pics of it?

#15 ·
Those are taurus wheels.. Those are some hard wheels 2 get a-hold of.. I used 2 want 2 get a set and paint them 2 look like the cobra wheels (blackened around the spokes) nicest wheels on the taurus other than the chrome sho models

Reactions: 1995 cougar xr7
#7 ·
Looks like they might have went back to the more original (and IMHO better looking) 1989 design with the grille lower and the 'bird on steel instead of in a grille opening. I like it. RIP MN12... :(

#8 ·
From Edmunds
c&p
11th Generation (1989-1997): "High Tech Birds"
At a time when many other cars were shrinking in size, the 1989 Thunderbird appeared significantly larger than its immediate predecessor and significantly more sophisticated in its engineering.

The all-new '89 T-Bird was truly all-new and the unibody structure was initially shared only with the car's Mercury Cougar near twin. This large car used a 113-inch wheelbase and was 1.6 inches wider than before. While overall length was actually down by 3.4 inches, the overall impression was of a much larger car. The suspension was, for the first time on a Thunderbird, an all-independent affair with short and long A-arms and coil springs up front and upper and lower arms in the back on coil springs. The big problem though was weight with the T-Bird coming in at 3,542 pounds in its lightest form — very porky. And there were no V8 engines around to push all that mass.

In fact the standard power plant was the 3.8-liter V6 used in the previous T-Bird and its 140 hp was severely taxed by the car's mass (the only transmission available with this engine was a four-speed automatic). A more engaging alternative was the new Thunderbird Super Coupe which replaced the Turbo Coupe and used a version of the 3.8-liter V6 fitted with an Eaton Roots-style supercharger that made 210 hp and was available hooked either to a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission. "The Thunderbird levels its competition," wrote Motor Trend while naming the Super Coupe its car of the year for 1989. "Nothing else in the price range offers the same irresistible blend of sporting performance and solid luxury." Ford sold a total of 107,996 Thunderbirds during this year.

But despite Motor Trend's accolade, the Thunderbird came in overweight, over budget and it was too expensive to build. Inside Ford, heads rolled as the car's development became a case study in how not to develop a new vehicle.

Except for the introduction of a special-edition 35th Anniversary model of the Super Coupe with specific paint and wheels, little changed for the 1990 Thunderbird. Sales dipped slightly to 104,602 cars.

Thanks to a rush development program, the 5.0-liter V8 returned to the Thunderbird during the 1991 model year. Available in the upmarket LX model, the fuel-injected 5.0-liter was now rated at 200 hp and mated to the familiar four-speed automatic transmission. Otherwise the T-Bird was very much a carryover product and sold 77,688 units.

A redesigned front bumper, slightly tweaked taillights and new paint colors came along with the 1992 Thunderbird. But not much else changed and sales stalled at 73,892 cars.

The base Thunderbird was excised from the 1993 model lineup and the car was now available either as an LX with either the 3.8-liter V6 or 5.0-liter V8, or as a Super Coupe with the supercharged version of the V6 aboard. Sales rebounded impressively this year with 129,712 units finding homes — or increasingly a spot in rental fleets.

Dual airbags were standard equipment in the 1994 Thunderbird that also featured a new front fascia with a slight wedge shape and the suggestion of a grille opening. Ford's SOHC, 4.6-liter V8 replaced the 5.0-liter V8 and offered 205 hp and much more refined manners. Sales were a solid 120,320 units. During a carryover 1995 model year, another 114,823 were built.

The Super Coupe didn't live to see 1996 as the Thunderbird line was reduced just to the LX model with either the 3.8-liter V6 or 4.6-liter V8. Sales dropped to 85,029 cars.

There was a new instrument cluster in the 1997 Thunderbird plus some new colors and a new deck lid spoiler, but the car itself was obviously doomed as Ford shifted its concentration to the increasingly profitable SUVs and trucks. After building another 73,814 Thunderbirds, Ford shut down the production line after 43 model years. And that was that.
end c&p
Of course, then they go to the 2002. :)

Reactions: SirRickyBobby
#10 ·
Id like to know more about the actual cancellation and decision process in more depth...

#9 ·
I wonder what the legitimacy is of that photo...it's been circulating since 2000 or so...

This article was posted by a guy named Keith Deluca on this website http://vintagethunderbirdclub.org/ a long, long time ago, I can't find the original thread, I have it saved on my computer, here's the goods and at the bottom was a pic of that strange black car:

This is from an ex-Ford executive.

The '98 bird was not canceled until may or june of 1997. We were all done with the
development of the car and even built the first wave of prototypes at Lorain Assembly
Plant.

Here's what we missed out on.

They dropped the 3.8L from the T-Bird completely. There were two 4.6L engine options
available for the car. The base one was a little more anemic than what the 96/97 car
was. It was a single exhaust, normal taillights and directionals (you'll understand in
a minute), pretty much the same 4.6L that was there is '97. But remember, this was the
base car.

The Sport car was this. The engine was a modified 4.6L engine. It had different cams,
different exhaust manifolds, a conical air cleaner and 80mm air meter. It was basically
the Mustang induction system and exhaust manifolds. But it had different cams and a TRUE
(yes I said true) dual exhaust. The engine made 230 HP (fudged higher by typical Ford
standards). It came with the 11" converter an aluminum shaft and 3.55 axles. It had H
rated tires and was speed limited to something like 120 MPH. The rear fascia on the car
had cut outs in the bumper for the chrome tipped dual exhaust pipes. The front fascia
had foglights (similar to the old S/C). The directional's on the rear were sequential
like the old Cougars of the 60's. It had the same spoiler that the 97's came with. It
was monochromatic paint scheme to the color of the car. Had 11.5" front rotors and
aluminum dual piston calipers.

The interior was similar to the 94/95 S/C. But it had a better cup holder than the '97's
had.

Unfortunatly, someone decided that they needed the 4.6L engines for trucks rather than
make T-Birds and it never seen production.

I think I can come up with a picture or two over the next few weeks. If I do, I'll post
it here.

So, thanks to some ^%$# bean counters, the best MN-12 was never produced.

I don't remember what the performance numbers were on the car, but it was slightly slower
than the auto GT's in 1998 (not that we ever raced them).

Here is a picture of what the 1998 Thunderbird would have looked like.

#20 ·
I wonder what the legitimacy is of that photo...it's been circulating since 2000 or so...

This article was posted by a guy named Keith Deluca on this website http://vintagethunderbirdclub.org/ a long, long time ago, I can't find the original thread, I have it saved on my computer, here's the goods and at the bottom was a pic of that strange black car:
:facepalm::wavey: ummmm HELLO!!! im still here, and i still stand by that statement. It was posted here way back when.

#11 ·
I remember when the last '97 rolled off the line. It was big news here, being just a few miles from the plant... I remember seeing two newspapers in our garage with the story as a headline. One stated "Last T-bird Rolls" and the other rudely exclaimed "Ta-ta, T-bird!".

There has been a lot of talk about the fate of the E-series plant in my city over the past decade or so. I have no idea what they've been planning to do with it lately though. I have a few friends that work there.

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
I always thought that was really good looking...the SVT one.
-Rob

#17 ·
"Unfortunately, someone decided that they needed the 4.6L engines for trucks rather than make T-Birds and it never seen production."

& those 4.6 F150's & Expeditions were the biggest DOGS ever~!

#18 ·
if only they would of made the retro birds with 4.6's or 5.0's. Can you imagine the same retro style bird with a 4.6 or 5.0 and with back passenger seats? that would be the perfect bird. Id jump in one of them.

#19 ·
I've got a 2002 & that teeny V8 is wedged in there buddy... Best thing about that car is Exhaust Tone, whatever setup they have under there needs to be cloned - It sounds PERFECT at idle & Accel, expecially for such a teeny Motor~!

#23 ·
I know this is a thread revival but I was trying to find this thread and the photo in it. Since people above questioned the legitimacy of the oval grille, I photoshopped a '98 'bird without one. It looks like an awesome combination between a 1997 MN12 and a 1989 MN12. Like a 1989 Thunderbird with 1997 headlights and a new bumper. All it needs is the Thunderbird logo between the headlights and it would be perfect, but my PS chops arent up to snuff.

What do y'all think?

#24 ·
WOW...ok I knew that the bumper on the black car...under the oval that goes between the headlights...those two wide slots that are in the bumper cover...or appear to be anyway...always knew it reminded me of anothe car and it just hit me....DODGE INTREPID.

#29 · (Edited)
When i first got my bird i researched so much.. and just like how theres a lot of false info on the svt bird out there.. i THINK this is one of those. Ford did litle changes to the 97 bird..they cut the funds for years 96 97... Why would they start a prototype for 98 if they already knew the last one was gonna roll off from lorain in 97? Are you say thats not true? termot inator said it himself he even read the newspaper article.
I just think when people WANT to believe something they start believing it..

theres more FACTS bout the last bird in 97 then the "98" bird

#30 ·
They were building the prototype '98 'bird while the Ford bigwigs were still deliberating on the future of the car. That way if they decided not to cancel it, they had a viable backup plan. :)

#31 ·
ofcourse what do i know.. YOU guys have had your birds longer then me and know way more then me.. i just like to debate based on what i know.. Just throwing my opinion out there. I like this thread =)

#33 ·
SVE birds where built out of 94-95 cars....so i think it was being worked with a couple years before cancellation was being considered....and it seems like i heard that the SVT bird was supposed to be out in 96 then pushed back to 97 then 98 and ultimately killed....but who really knows

#34 ·
ford?:zdunno: haha

hey but guess what ?

why are we here?? To keep Mn12 going!!
I like how every thunderbird on here is unique..
There is no limits!
except for $$$ =( need that haha

#35 ·
The picture of the 1998 Tbird prototype and description were provided by a well known source working at Ford at that time .. I wouldnt question its authenticity. ;)

However - Based on the description provided, and the apparent photochop of the original bumper - I believe the 1998 front bumper was exactly the same as the SVE Tbird ( a 1997 bumper with fog lights ) - the Bird emblem / opening is covered up with a Black Oval - and the opening on the lower valance ( beween the fog lights ) has been Copied, and pasted directly above it ...

If you can photochop in a 1997 bumper, with Fog light openings, I believe that is what the 1998 Tbird would have looked like. The only thing I want to know is ... the Interior - it was similar to the 94/95 SC ( in what way I can speculate, Handbrake ? 145 speedo ? Wrap around and Fold down seats ? ) .. and the Center console, this one gets me .. it had a BETTER cup holder than the 97's .. this is like the holy grail of Tbird center consoles, how could you possible have done it any better ??? ;)

#36 ·
Center console, this one gets me .. it had a BETTER cup holder than the 97's .. this is like the holy grail of Tbird center consoles, how could you possible have done it any better ??? ;)
IMO, The 97 console top cup holders are one of the best cupholder designs of the 90s and maybe beyond...they hold what you put in them in place no problem...I could figure that mabe it was a handbrake console top with good cupholders as well?

it's all speculation...I wonder if that prototype ultimate center console is around somewhere...

#40 ·
Can be done very easily - just pick yourself up a '97 console and replace yours. You'll have to re-locate the cig lighter if you choose to keep it. Cupholders are nice, but not necessary if you push towards not having any drinks in the car :)

-Melon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.