TCCoA Forums banner

Did they make a Talladega Special Thunderbird?

13K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Muscle&Thunder 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Most likely it's just a dealer add-on package..Stickers,Spoiler etc,etc..

Just something to help sales, or fool unsuspecting buyers into thinking they have something incredibly rare... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the "Bill Elliot", and "Davey Allison" Thunderbirds of our MN12 vintage..Again..Just dealer add-on packages..

Rayo..

#13 ·
351 Ho Ss

Most likely it's just a dealer add-on package..Stickers,Spoiler etc,etc..

Just something to help sales, or fool unsuspecting buyers into thinking they have something incredibly rare... :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the "Bill Elliot", and "Davey Allison" Thunderbirds of our MN12 vintage..Again..Just dealer add-on packages..

Rayo..
:wavey:

I have a 1990 Thunderbird 351 HO SS

:zbench:

#3 ·
I'm with Rayo on this one.

The only MN12's Ford ever built that would be worth a thing as rare collectibles are the 4WD or AWD (depending on your preference) SC that SCCoA owns and the SVE Tbird that - as far as I know - was destroyed by Ford.

#4 ·
Destroyed? What, was it a deception or something?

#6 ·
That's completely retarded.

#8 ·
Why not?

#9 ·
Concept cars have no VIN numbers. Nor can one ever legally be assigned to them.

#17 ·
Dodge got sued a while back when a prototype Viper made its way onto the street after it was donated to some technical school and got crashed. They latter requested all technical schools that had other prototype Vipers to destroy them at once or face consequences. You can see the lot being destroyed on you tube what a shame to destroy something that so many people would want like the SVT Thunderbird.

I have heard there is one SVT Thunderbird that has hit the racetrack, it can even be seen on a youtube video that says SVT Thunderbird, says its only alteration is a fuel cell in the trunk, is this a true prototype among the 5 Ford produced and got rid of or is it someones recreation of what is and what Ford thought should never be.

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
I don't know about '85 editions ... maybe some in '86
("Talladega T Bird") from some southern dealers as a tribute to Elliott's "awesome" '85 season.

Darrell Waltrip won the cup that year ('85) and wasn't a "Southern" favorite.

1985 NASCAR Winston Cup Standings
Rank Driver - Points - Wins - Earnings
1 Darrell Waltrip - 4,292 - 3 - $1,318,374.60
2 Bill Elliott - 4,191 - 11 - $2,433,186.30

#18 ·
There is no and never was a SVT Thunderbird. It never got past the stage of Special Vehicle Engineering(SVE) and anyone claiming otherwise is a fraud

As for prototype demolition, it is what it is. It's been going on since the dawn of the automobile and isn't anything new. And a lot of times they're just mules, cars whose historical contribution could be as trivial as a finding a fender liner giving too much NVH at high speed and should be revised for production.

#19 · (Edited)
Once I got a real close look at a Dodge Dakota that was an engineering prototype. Besides no VIN or any serial numbers or certifications there were many little differences from production units. For example the plastic door panels had no "simulated leather" surface, they were completely flat smooth plastic. These vehicles are made to check for fit and operation of parts and as XR7-4.6 mentioned potential NVH issues. Some of the body panels fit really crudely and the paint job was rudimentary.
The Chrysler representative was using the truck for a factory Fuel Injection Clinic and told me that the manufacturer is allowed the use of the vehicle on road for one year and then it must be completely destroyed.
No parts could be salvaged or resold. It had Manufacturer Plates which in CA was simply the number 3 for Chrysler.
He had specific paperwork for the truck and he said the police are familiar with the program.

#21 ·
I love 80"s Thunderbirds, still miss my 86 a lot. Sounds like a nice build though tbirdtess another circletrack racer or is this one going to be used for a different purpose, and why not a 351? Just curious, either way sounds awesome.

#22 ·
Stuff!

Hello

This would be my street HOT ROD
A toy

my list is stuff i already have.

I have 4 302's & a 255.
Weiand intake + Edelbrock RPM & Torker intakes.
couple of Holley carbs. + Edelbrock carb to match the RPM

Bad part is my RUG trany. it a 4 speed with overdrive. (3 + 1)

THe car currently has one of my 302's with a C4

THe rear is a 4 link 7.5 with 3L45 gears.
I have:3.27, 3.73, 4.10 gears for the 7.5.
3.73 & 4.10's are in a irs pumpkin right now.
3.08 3.55 & 3.90 gears for a 8.8 (3.90's irs pumpkin.)

#23 ·
Sounds nice indeed, I love those fox bird's I might get one one day still pretty plentiful on ebay, just a good engine and trans and gears is all you need and those things can fly easy. I miss my old 86 a lot. I like my MN-12 but the foxes are real nice and light and the interiors are pretty neat.

Got any pics out of curiosity?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.