TCCoA Forums banner

Trans slipping?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  CDsDontBurn 
#1 ·
This started yesterday. I had a similar type issue a little over 2 years ago where just adding 2 qts of ATF solved the issue. Back then though, the slipping happened during left and right turns. This time, the slipping of gears is happening when the engine is cold. None of the gears, R-D1-D2-D3, engage for several seconds at a time. Is this a typical sign of a trans slipping, or is this a typical sign of a trans being starved of fluid? Like I said, this seems to only happen when the engine / transmission is cold, like sitting for a few hours cold. I did some searching, and THIS thread was the closest one to what my issue seems like.

I'm going to check the fluid level tomorrow after work (I haven't had the chance since I've been so busy), and see where that's at. If it's low again, adding the ATF *should* fix this. If not, I just hope I can nurse the trans along until I can replace it. If I do have to replace it though, it'll be an excuse to upgrade, right? :)

#2 ·
I took this about 15min ago. The picture is a little blurry, but you can tell that the "hot" hole has some ATF in it, barely, and the "hot" section of the dipstick isn't drenched in ATF. Does this count as low fluid, or is it OK still in terms of fluid level?

#3 ·
what sort of fluid? mercV or cheep stuff? has it been changed regularly? did you ever fix the leak that caused the loss of the quarts years ago?

sometimes Ive seen low pump pressure from a trans cause slow engage, or even crashing into gear like my fathers a4ld. she might just be getting high millage.

but if the fluid and filter hasn't been changed in 30k+ then it needs done. sometimes that can work miracles, or if the fluid is too far gone it can shock the trans and blow a lip seal or something. that stuff still at least looks brown, but if it turns black cross your fingers and hope :D

and keep the reusable gasket if its still their, or go to ford and get one... they don't leak at all, while all the cheep rubber junk from the parts store kits will warp your pan and leak like a sieve...

#4 ·
^^ I bought 2qts of Valvoline Dex/Merc. I wanted to get at least Merc III or Merc IV but none was available at the store last night. I haven't gotten the leak fixed since the last time the issue popped up a couple years ago. She currently has 176,5xx on the clock and as far as I know, it's the original transmission. I could ask my wife's grandfather the next time I see him if it was ever replaced or serviced when he owned the car as he was the original owner of the car.

Ever since my wife and I met a little over 5 years (and ~50k miles earlier for the car) ago, I know that the transmission hasn't been serviced, IE drained and filled w/filter change. The filter itself when I pulled the dipstick looked brownish red, not black. I know that black is a bad sign so perhaps this particular trans still has potential of another 50k or more miles out of it so long as I get it serviced (replace gaskets to stop leaks, replace filter(s), etc.)?

As for the issue I was experiencing a couple days ago, I added 1qt of fluid this morning right before I left to work, and that seems to have fixed the slow engage issue. I'll keep driving her and see how she acts and keep an eye on the dipstick. I'll add the extra quart if necessary.

As for doing the ATF D&R job myself, where is the TC drain bolt located at? The bottom of the bell housing? That's what I got from reading some of the other threads. If not, a pic or diagram would definitely help if one is available :). And I guess I need to remove the pan as well to get to the filter. Anything else I would need to do for ATF change?

#6 ·
That's what I thought. The hole itself wasn't dry, but it was about half full. It wasn't "slopping wet" of fluid like the bottom hole was. After I added the 1qt of ATF, it started working better like I said.

:shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.