TCCoA Forums banner

Infinity Reference 5X7's

1K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  KrAzyT 
#1 ·
Went to Circuit City and bought 2 pairs of these speakers today. They are incredible, a huge upgrade from the stock, non-JBL garbage. If you are looking for a better than average simple swap, consider these speakers while shopping. While they are not a good set of components, they do a good job of imitating them. Installation was a breeze, as I had all 4 installed in about an hour. Had to take a few minutes to figure out the door panels. Needless to say, I recommend these speakers to anyone looking to make a purchase.

I am going to use the Infinity components and coax's when I do the GTO's system next. THose will be amplified with an Infinity amp and I forsee a pair of Visonik 10" 500W RMS subs and a 1000W RMS 2 channel amp to drive them. :D

#2 ·
I have two of those in the 6x8 size in my door slots to use as my highs. I have Audiobahns of the same size in the back acting as subs (nothing getting sent to the tweeter).

#4 ·
if i'm not mistaken, one of the reasons the infinity's are so good, is that they have much better crossovers than a typical 2- or 3-way speaker.....a good crossover helps out a lot

good choice there, but me personally, i would stay away from that visonik stuff......also if the 1000WRMS amp is a 2-ch, then it is most likely not a class-D monoblock and will be a huge drain on your electrical system if it ends being a class-A/B amp and actually put out its rated power

#5 ·
guitar maestro said:
if i'm not mistaken, one of the reasons the infinity's are so good, is that they have much better crossovers than a typical 2- or 3-way speaker.....a good crossover helps out a lot
My Infinities didn't have crossovers, but my Audiobahns do.

#6 ·
X-overs are the stuff. I've got Kappa 5x7s, which blow the reference series outta the water btw, and they produce INCREDIBLE mids and highs. I absolutely love em. That and the fact they've got a rating of 100W RMA, 300 peak :D

#7 ·
well my pair of infinity reference 6x8 two ways sound about a thousand times cleaner than my pos pioneer three ways that are in the doors, the infinity ones have a really smooth high frequency response that almost sounds like my home stereo speakers, way, way, way better than stock, can't wait till i get some infinity components for the front.....:D

#8 ·
*drool* infinity

~nuff said

wait I lied, I want components, mmmmm

*double drool*

#10 ·
The Infiniti are nice, but after a/b'ing Infinty, MB Quart, and a speaker I'd never heard of(Arc Audio), the Arc's absolutely amazed me. I work in audio(both live and studio), so I get to listen to some nice systems, and was amazed by the quality and imaging of the Arc's.
It seems to me, and remember hearing is in the eye of the beholder, that Infinity has reached the same level as NoS- it's a name that eveyone wants, but not everyone needs. I strongly suggest listening without labels. You'll be surprised.

(please: no flaming ;) My bird was broken into last Fri.)

Peter M.

#11 ·
how much were the arc's?

#12 ·
They were $380 for the pair (6" components), so they are a little on the pricey side. But up against the MB Quart $1k speakers, they held their own, if not exceeding them, IMO. It's all about your own ears.... :D
Since I'll have to unhook the tweeter for door panel removal(here's why), I'll get some install pics this time.

Peter M.

#13 ·
Damn, those are some expensive a$$ speakers :eek: I'm thinking I might do some small components sometime down the line and put em up on top of my dash, or do some serious custom work and put them IN the dash to makeup for the horribe placement of the door speakers from Ford

redneckcougarguy said:
you are a dork lol, i just want speakers that will last more than a year.
Yes, yes i am, tyvm :D I've had both my sets of kappas for... I think 2 1/2 years now

#14 ·
Yeah, but boy are they worth it. I don't use the rear sides, and have two sealed 8's for subs. Clean and accurate.

Peter M.

#15 ·
Peter M said:
Yeah, but boy are they worth it. I don't use the rear sides, and have two sealed 8's for subs. Clean and accurate.

Peter M.
Can you hook up a low-power amp to the rear speaker wiring and have it work? Probably a stupid question, I know, but someone I work with mentioned that and I want to know if he's full of *@#$ or not.

#17 ·
Can you hook up a low-power amp to the rear speaker wiring and have it work?
Actually, the rears are wired to the rear power out on the head unit. The head unit has a setting that cuts power to the internal amps, and cleans up the pre-outs(just a bit). I just leave it that way.

Peter M.

#18 ·
Do the 5X7s fit without doing any modifcations?

As an aside, is there an adaper from the Ford factory speaker connection to the spade connectors that are normally found on aftermarket speakers?

#19 ·
5x7 will bolt right in using the stock hardware.

You don't want to use adapters, I just cut off the harness then solder on some new connectors. Most good pairs of speakers come with the connectors, so you just need to solder two wires.

Honestly though I would buy some nice mdf adapters and put 6.5'' round speakers or 5.25'' round speakers in the stock locations, they sound much better than the 5x7/6x8.

I'm running two pairs of soundstream spl coaxials 5.25'' with mdf adapters in stock locations in my truck and i'm real happy with them.

PS- you are going to want at least a four channel amp, if you go with pretty much any aftermarket speaker. My tbird has the aftermarket headunit with aftermarket speakers and no amp and it sounds pretty crummy.

#21 ·
JustinH said:
5x7 will bolt right in using the stock hardware.

You don't want to use adapters, I just cut off the harness then solder on some new connectors. Most good pairs of speakers come with the connectors, so you just need to solder two wires.

Honestly though I would buy some nice mdf adapters and put 6.5'' round speakers or 5.25'' round speakers in the stock locations, they sound much better than the 5x7/6x8.

I'm running two pairs of soundstream spl coaxials 5.25'' with mdf adapters in stock locations in my truck and i'm real happy with them.

PS- you are going to want at least a four channel amp, if you go with pretty much any aftermarket speaker. My tbird has the aftermarket headunit with aftermarket speakers and no amp and it sounds pretty crummy.
You don't really need an adaptor for 6.5"s. Just try to align as many holes as possible if not make your own.

#22 ·
You can also use the stock 5x7 mount piece as a template on 1/2 MDF and make a baffle for it. It also helps stiffen the area where the (stock) hole is. There is also enough room for most external crossovers above the speaker, and in front of the door controls.
As my bird is getting repaired after it's break-in damage, I can't get any pics right now...

Peter M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.