rebuild or move on? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

rebuild or move on?

well..think my bird is dead..but in any case.. i like the car wld like to restore it.. i want a quik car for a daily driver.. maybe eventually take it to the track and see how it does..but i want a dependable driver with ok fuel milage..so trying to stay away from the v8s....so the choices are..find a different car all togethor... or get a remanufactured engine... or get engine rebuilt .....and maybe get the mp supercharger kit...... ok what is every ones thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 PM

what all happened?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

how dead is it??

97 'Bird w/an 04 Explorer lower, 8lb AED upper, Marauder TC, 93 MK VIII DS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

no clue....it still runs..idles smooth..but here is the thread on that..http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=104266
but any how.. hopefully i can get disability..im screwed up..lol..but any who..might get some cash and cars are one of the few things i like..well besides women ..except there more expensive..lol.. any how i am planning on dropping like 5 grand in motor and upgrades if i keep it.. just not sure what direction to go with it. i dont want to buy another used car and have an old tired motor in it as well and waste more money..already got this car..and if the motor is toast in it..then i am not going to get any money out of it..so i think it wld be better just to keep it and put a fresh one it.. just what way should i go..get a reman. or rebuild.. dont want a drag motor..just want to give it a little bit more..that is why i am thinking the mp sc upgrade...but if i rebuild i can put different stuff in to the block and port things out and so forth..but how is all going to effect fuel economy and so forth... or just get a reman and slap the mp sc kit on...i dont know..
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

any ideas...??? anyone??? thinking of putting around 5 gs in to it if i keep it??
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM

If the thing has sentimental value I'd say knock a couple zeros from your bank account to restore it.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 PM
PostWhore

I'm in the same Dilamia (sp?) as you with my '91 XR7, I've owned it for 10 1/2 years now.. With the Engine, Body and Suspension (rear) work it needs, and also Interior work (Mostly rejuvinating the seat foam) it ALMOST seems not worth it..
I can see myself sicking like nearly $10,000 into it.. (mostly towards the engine ) But also look at it as `I can use that $10,000 towards buying a house' Since i do own 3 other cars (2 of which are projects in themselves) so techincally do i REALLY need to fix it up??

HECK i would trade my '96 for body work on my '91, and trade my '89 for the suspension work The engine i can make the 289 out of my '66 comet work (has like 700 miles since it's rebuild )

My '89 was gonna be a Parts car to take bits and pieces off of to try and fix up my '91.. But i couldn't turn it into a parts car
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

*Dilemma

Your best bet, in terms of reliability, is a 5.0L or 351w, which will bolt right up and with the right engine mounts, will sit there real comfortable...

A 3.8L SC is not a good idea for a daily driver because every day it will be something else new going wrong. Everyday... Speaking from experience.

I had a 5-speed. I wish I'd put a 5.0L or 351w in it instead of selling it.

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
acceptable fuel mileage and durability...those are two qualities I would not associate with blown 3.8L....but would attach to the 4.6L.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

hhmm well i like car but i dont know...cant aford a whole lot...going to be getting ssi hopefully due to a back injury..sucks cant work or should i say find reasonable work i can do and i love cars..so i will get some cash up front...then be stuck on payments..but i dont do much and i would like a nice car to work on and maybe do a little show and tell with it in the future..i dont know...bout to give up on it..lol.. so what ever work i have done to it..will have to be done by a shop..
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:17 PM
5th Gear Poster

I have had 8 SC`s and 3 LX`s. Guess what I still have 2 of the LX`s and I don`t need to open the hood but once every 2 months. Dont get me wrong I love SC`s but daily driver at over 12 years for the youngest ones, like they said its one thing after another. So how much you want for the car
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

u going to come all the way to oregon to get it?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
5th Gear Poster

Just a little to far away for me but im sure someone local would buy it.
These are the kind of cars where you need to do most everything yourself or you will be in the poor house with a car that as of right now has no resale value.
Sad but true.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 01:56 PM

either sell her, part her, or fix her... just make sure its away from these vultures.. sell on sccoa.

no offense guys, but i'm partial to my sc's, and my 95 hasnt needed anything but a shifter rebuild.

take that back.. shifter assembly rebuild AND a foglight bulb...
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
acceptable fuel mileage and durability...those are two qualities I would not associate with blown 3.8L....but would attach to the 4.6L.
acceptable fuel mileage? When my car was mostly stock, it would easily get 20 mpg around town and as high as 28 mpg on trips. Can 4.6's get that mileage? (I'm seriously asking, because I don't know).

As for durability, with the exception of transmission problems, I haven't had any durability problems. Granted, I only drive it about to work about 3-5 times per month. I'd drive it more often, but I don't trust the other driver's in the bumper-to-bumper traffic I sit in.

My SC has over 120k miles on it. However, I will admit the front suspension only has about 40k (rebuilt while swapping spindles for 13" rotor upgrade) and the engine only about 15k (rebuilt after blowing both head gaskets and breaking the ring lands on a piston while drag racing at the track.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think the SC is any less reliable than any other 12-18 year old car....they all need maintenance and a lot of them never got regular service during the years.

Kurt K (e-mail)
"I'll either die owning this car or it will kill me."
'92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748 mph, 2.0 AR power
. . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
'95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
'90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really! Any Offers?
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post
acceptable fuel mileage? When my car was mostly stock, it would easily get 20 mpg around town and as high as 28 mpg on trips. Can 4.6's get that mileage? (I'm seriously asking, because I don't know).

As for durability, with the exception of transmission problems, I haven't had any durability problems. Granted, I only drive it about to work about 3-5 times per month. I'd drive it more often, but I don't trust the other driver's in the bumper-to-bumper traffic I sit in.

My SC has over 120k miles on it. However, I will admit the front suspension only has about 40k (rebuilt while swapping spindles for 13" rotor upgrade) and the engine only about 15k (rebuilt after blowing both head gaskets and breaking the ring lands on a piston while drag racing at the track.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think the SC is any less reliable than any other 12-18 year old car....they all need maintenance and a lot of them never got regular service during the years.
Yes the 4.6 can get that mileage, and better. When I had my 94 4.6 cougar, I got a best of 31mpg highway on a trip from north carolina to NJ. It would usually get between 27-29mpg highway.

The SCs aren't bad if you keep up on the maintenance, and you can do all the work yourself, including diagnosing drivability problems. I have had my 89XR7 for a little over a year now, and in that time I have put over 20K miles on it, and the only down time it saw was a few days when I did a clutch and motor mounts in it, so it has been pretty good to me. I have had more problems with it though, but they were all little things that were pretty cheap to fix. I've had to rebuild front suspension, replace the shifter, DIS module (was causing intermittent misfire), leaking valve cover gasket (passenger side luckily), a couple coolant leaks, multiple vacuum leaks, washer fluid hoses leaking, and I had to replace the MAF. Of all those things, the only one that cost me any real money was the clutch and motor mounts, and none of them have ever left me stranded in the car, so they were more of an annoyance than anything else. Doing the work on the car myself, I haven't had to put much money into it, but if I had to pay someone to do all the stuff I've done to my car (including diagnosing the DIS module, MAF sensor, and vacuum leaks, all of which caused similar drivability problems) then I would have spent a lot of money, and probably had quite a bit of down time. If you can do all the work on the car yourself, then they are great. If you can't, get something else. On the bright side though, if you can keep an SC running good, you can work on anything, so they are great cars to learn a lot on.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 PM
5th Gear Poster

90 Sc

i.ve had a few scs , autos, 5-speeds from 89-94. i got bitten a few years back when i had the 2.3 turbo coupe boy that car was fun to drive and for a 4 cly go was no problem. then the sc came into my mists..if ur handy, have time and don't mind getting dirty the sc is for u...to get 1 in farliy good running order is a start ,but u have to remember the sc was and still is a fun car to drive, it is still a high performance car , like all they do need to be maintained. some like bmws,minicoopers, grand nationals, but u wanna go fast.it take time, money n elbow grease lol. i/ve done my abs,h/gs......front end....etc...i drive my 90 sc everyday......when it going good it gooes.when it breaks down....i pretty much know what to exspect....any how. any car u love new ,old.....is ur prefrence..no 1 likes their car to break down.when it hapeens u deal with it....sice ur back is out.take the time to do research on what u want to do. as far as gas mileage..........ah it ok hell ny gas is $2,95 a gallon for premeuim (high test what ever i drive my sc ha.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 01:57 AM
6th Gear Poster

$5,000.00 .........

ARP studs , cooper head gaskets , new water pump , new O2 sensors ,and get the trany rebuilt . and some true 2.5" dual exhaust .
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

or put a 460 in it and never worry about reliability or go power again

Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
or put a 460 in it and never worry about reliability or go power again
And have it porcupine after 100miles cause you didn't tune it right....

Thats reliability for ya

'94 LX - 3.8: Slow, but gets there.
'90 SC - 3.8: Gets there right quick, and is my baby.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

well here is a vid from the inside of my car where u can here the noise its making better.. still trying to find out exactly what this noise is...not sure if it is the bottom end or the blower..i dont know.... getting really frustrated cant get any good advice on what to do with it..if it is even worth putting the money in to at all..

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 PM
5th Gear Poster

You have a lot of lights lit there. Try running codes. You might just have engine knock due to computer problems. Timming might be causing it. It does not sound good though.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
It's hard to tell for sure without being there, but that definitely sounds like its in the bottom end to me. I suspect your motor is done. You should figure out why all those lights are on on the dash before you drop a new motor in it though. You don't want to wind up in over your head fixing it, and not be able to drive the car anymore.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:46 PM
PostWhore

The lights are the
ABS light
Brake light
Fasten Seatbelt Light
Door-A-jar (I believe)
And FInally Check Guage..

the ABS and Brake lights are concerning, same with the Check Guage one..

But i'm with everyone else, Most likely a rod bearing has gone.. the more you run it, and chances are it's totally F'd to the point of no return, the less likely you'll be able to save the Crank or rod..

But i don't know.. Rod knock + ABS issues does equal ALOT of money, depending on how bad you are at reeling and dealing..

I know my '89 i bought for $500cdn (with a blown engine), and have sunked another $1200 into it to get it to run including the cost of a used Long block SC engine. AND it still has issues.. (Brake Accumaltor, starting issue) But Do i regrete it?? I just put on 400+kms just driving around in it this weekend, and after parking it and heading home in my '96.. all i can say is `HELL YAH IT'S WORTH IT!!'
It's just as fun as driving my '91 XR7.. if you ignore the fact it's an automatic

Last edited by 91 XR7; 09-09-2007 at 08:53 PM.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
PostWhore

with the cars age and value its not really worth sinking any money in to it, sry to say it but its the truth, your best bet would be to save up the money you would be investing in to it and buy something newer... my cut off age is 5 yrs, anything older than that is just a waste as far as value is concerned

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 01:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fturner View Post
And have it porcupine after 100miles cause you didn't tune it right....

Thats reliability for ya
porcupine???

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

any real ideas?
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
Ya find a stupid cheap low mileage PI motor,install it,and tune it.Decent power and great mileage.I get 22mpg average in the city and about 19-20 when I beat on it all week.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

what the hell is a pi motor...and i do want some hp out of it
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
A PI motor is a 4.6. Don't listen to him, since it would take a lot more work to convert to a 4.6, and for that time, effort, and money, you could make your 3.8 make a lot more power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in