New owner of a 95 SC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

New owner of a 95 SC

I just picked up 95 thunderbird SC with 68k miles. 5spd black with gray, and a sunroof. Very clean inside and out. Motor runs good but cant say great.

It had acouple small problems which i already fixed. Shifter bushing, engine fan, new wires plugs fuel filter, and the car run alittle better. Still need to change the motor mount though.

Over all i think i got a good deal. I paid 2500 for it. Love the car alot. I have four cars now and this one is the best. I do plan on doing some mods to the car.

Questions from a new SC owner.

1. Car seems to bog around 3.5-4k rpms. After the samll tune up got more power but still seems like all the power is not there. as if the power is loss at 4.5k and after. I have been ready alot about Head gaskets. Alittle worried!

2. Any common problems or anything i should look out for our check?

3. Car seems rough. I think its the motor mount. Shaking at idle but the idle is steady. When you go forward it feels rough. Hard to explain.

Thanx for for any help. I have been doing alot reading and going to read some more after this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 06:54 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by posjr View Post
I just picked up 95 thunderbird SC with 68k miles. 5spd black with gray, and a sunroof. Very clean inside and out. Motor runs good but cant say great.
Sounds like you found a nice car.

Quote:
1. Car seems to bog around 3.5-4k rpms. After the samll tune up got more power but still seems like all the power is not there. as if the power is loss at 4.5k and after. I have been ready alot about Head gaskets. Alittle worried!
Check and/or replace plugs and wires. Are you running premium gas?

Quote:
2. Any common problems or anything i should look out for our check?
If you had a 89-92, I suggest the ABS system, but the 93-95 ABS is far less problematic.

Quote:
3. Car seems rough. I think its the motor mount. Shaking at idle but the idle is steady. When you go forward it feels rough. Hard to explain.
Not sure about this one, but it could be one or both motor mounts. You definitely need to verify that because broken motor mounts can cause the oil pan to rub on the crossmember enough to rub a hole in the pan. An easy way I've check for broken motor mounts is to open the hood and with your foot on the brake put the car in reverse and give it a little gas, the engine should lift up on the driver's side (yes, I realize this is harder to do with a manual transmission).

You will find some good information on this site about Thunderbirds in general, but for SC specific information, you'll typically have better luck over at http://www.sccoa.com.

Kurt K (e-mail)
"I'll either die owning this car or it will kill me."
'92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748 mph, 2.0 AR power
. . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
'95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
'90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really! Any Offers?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I did change plugs and wires as will as the fuel filter. I'm putting 89 gas. I even think i put 87 when i first bought the car. I'll do 91 on my next fill.

The motor mount is for sure gone. The motor hopes when driving. I did that test when I first bought the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
I did change plugs and wires as will as the fuel filter. I'm putting 89 gas. I even think i put 87 when i first bought the car. I'll do 91 on my next fill.

The motor mount is for sure gone. The motor hopes when driving. I did that test when I first bought the car.
If you plan on regularly running low octane fuel, you can remove the SPOUT plug, which retards the timing 4°. But most prefer to just spend more money on fuel

Kurt K (e-mail)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Good find.

It's what my wifey drives.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
wow 95 sc 5 speed! pretty rare find i have heard. im looking forward to pics.... **hint hint**

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
PostWhore

true, this thread is worthless with out pics

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Enjoy!

I while be putting 91 for now on.

Another problem which i'm not sure. The oil pressure seems to be stuck almost 3/4 up. Turn car off it wont go down. Put key back in and than drops but when you start the car right back to 3/4. While driving it nevers moves.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 01:56 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
holy hell thats nice! i think the oil pressure gauges in these things are just there to show you have oil pressure right? i thought you had to do something to actually read the true oil pressure.

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbirdlver View Post
holy hell thats nice! i think the oil pressure gauges in these things are just there to show you have oil pressure right? i thought you had to do something to actually read the true oil pressure.
To get the real oil pressure, follow this how-to...here
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
VA Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to Jason Miller
If you are loosing power at about 4500 make sure the blower belt is good. The higher you rev the car the more it's going to tend to slip the belt. I had this problem with my girlfriends car and a new belt fixed the problem.

Member MAMN12 Drag Racing team Best ET 12.44 @109mph
Click here to check out the Mid Atlantic chapter
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I'll check the belts out. They did look alittle worn when i looked at them the other day.

oil pressure sounds easy. Put that as one of this weekands projects! Thanx for the link.

I've been reading that this car is rare. I'm getting scared to even drive it now. I quess i better get full covarge for this bad boy.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:

I've been reading that this car is rare. I'm getting scared to even drive it now. I quess i better get full covarge for this bad boy.
Yes it is and you have a very nice example. Better than mine at $2700.

And oh. 4500 is about as far as you should push that stock anyway. It's built for low end grunt not high rpms.

*Rodney*
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i bet you could sell that car for way more than $2500. esp. since it's only 68k miles.

i'll trade ya!!

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Nice find. When you change the broken motor mount take my advice....change both. The first time I did motor mounts on my 95 five speed (around 37,000 miles at the time) the passenger side mount came out in two piece's. Before I took them out I couldn't tell they were bad by inspecting them and I inspected the hell out of them. I even took the car to a local Ford stealership to have them check the mounts out and they told me they were good to go. I was trying to nail down an idle problem as well as a few other problems so I ended up changing the mounts anyway and what a difference a new set of mounts made. I swear it was like driving a completely different car. Idled much smoother, shifted much smoother, and just plain all around ran much better.
I'd also recommend you do a complete coolant change at least once every two years. I do it once a year in both of my SC's. I believe it goes a long way in head gasket preventative maintenance. I've owned my 94 SC for thirteen years and my 95 SC for ten years and I haven't experienced a blown head gasket yet knock on wood.

1995 SC (five speed)
Best E.T. [email protected]
Best MPH [email protected]
Best 60' 1.7489

1994 SC (automatic) [email protected]
On a stock long block with bolt on's
Sweet SC, lower13's coming.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to kamakazie_1
Nice ride, whoever sold that to you for $2500 obviously was not a true SC person, they didn't know what they had..

RJ

1995 SC: Pearl white, 5Spd

2003 Ford F-350 Dually 4x4 7.3L PSD, Preditor Sport Prog.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Sound good. I'll do all three (tranny). I bought the mounts but damn looks like pain to do. So i'll take it to the shop. Hate to say it too but i even work on cars for aliving. Not the came with out a car lift. Which i dont have access to right now.

I have a little rice rocket i just bought as while that i was fixing up. 93 integra. Now im thinking i'm going to sale it and have some play money for the new SC.

Any ideals what would be the first steps in good power ect.
Was thinking headers and intake and pully or how about some springs?. Already did a good tune up. My still have cash left over.

Have a guy coming tomerrow and seems he really wants to buy it for 3gs. (integra) I can spend the whole 3 just incause someone give me a big oh list
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Drool over what you WANT to buy for a bit. Don't spend it all too quick. Your list will change quite frequently and you don't want to buy off your first list before revisions. Ha, that almost makes sense.

Look at exhaust. Then possibly a pulley and see if you want more. Making these go fast is art. And some would say headers are a waste. I don't have them but wish I did. IMO.

And not to shove you off, but have you visited sccoa.com? It's more SC's.

PS. I have some worked heads for sale if you do get in a hurry.

*Rodney*
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Sound good. I'll do all three (tranny). I bought the mounts but damn looks like pain to do. So i'll take it to the shop. Hate to say it too but i even work on cars for aliving. Not the came with out a car lift. Which i dont have access to right now.

I have a little rice rocket i just bought as while that i was fixing up. 93 integra. Now im thinking i'm going to sale it and have some play money for the new SC.

Any ideals what would be the first steps in good power ect.
Was thinking headers and intake and pully or how about some springs?. Already did a good tune up. My still have cash left over.

Have a guy coming tomerrow and seems he really wants to buy it for 3gs. (integra) I can spend the whole 3 just incause someone give me a big oh list

RBrown has the right idea, check out sccoa.com before you finalize your list, I've been a member over there also for years, since the first 6 months of it's life actually.. The folks over there have done it all with the SCs and they have some pretty cool stuff going all the time..

RJ

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Ya i'm bouncing back and forth from both sites. I'm getting more replays here and alittle more info. Havent paid the fee over at sccoa mybe thats why.

oh i meant exhaust not headers! sorry. Ya headers is last on my list. I like the aftermarket hoods too adds a nice touch to the car. Will you know what i'll be doing all night... Window shopping ( Oh honey can i use the creidt card: After you buy me my wedding ring: S***)

Ya i been reading and these cars aint like no honda. Alot more to consider in this cars. Which make it more fun.

I'll wait on the head until i blow some HG's.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
I'll wait on the head until i blow some HG's.
Good thought, with these it's not if HGs are going to go, it's when... Usually dependent directly on how much you like to play usually!!

Enjoy and be careful, you got a great piece of equipment there..

RJ

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

They over at sccoa have heard the "what should I do first" so often they grow tired.
You'll have to search or go directly to one of the guys (Dave) with money in hand to buy goodies.

Over here we don't talk SC too much so those of us here usually chime in.

BTW mine ran 14.76 @ 93.50 totally stock and tired. (I shift good)
Then Dyno'ed 209 rwhp and 307 rwtq with new stock heads. Overheated too though.

*Rodney*
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Will i'm getting more help here as a new owner kind of thing. Which i thank eveybody for. Or for the warm welcome!

Ok another Question. I WOT it today and the boost almost went to 15 psi if not to it. I got worried and back down right away. I read to much psi isnt good compare to real HP. So if i'm reading right i my have a restriced cat ? Causing to much back pressure! I cut the mufflers out when i first bought the car and removed the air silencer. 68k miles cats mybe no good? Passed smog.

Oh trust me i like to play!!!!! My last ford was a 2001 roush stage 2. I had 4.11 with small modds. Boy it was funn. until my family got to big and the rear seat seemed to get smaller. lol By the way i have four kids but still young!
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Ya i'm bouncing back and forth from both sites. I'm getting more replays here and alittle more info. Havent paid the fee over at sccoa mybe thats why.
The lack of replies over at SCCoA has more to do with the fact your post is in the New Owners Forum. For some reason, not too many people frequent that forum and answer questions....I think, like mentioned here already, that people get tired of the same questions.

Anyway, if you do a search over there for 'first mods' or maybe 'order of mods' you should find a wealth of information. Personally, underdrive pulleys and exhaust were my first 2 mods and yielded good results. I slap underdrives on every SC I own.

Kurt K (e-mail)
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM

That's a rare car (one of 574). I've been looking for a good original for a long time. You might want to consider leaving that one stock and original to keep the collector value intact. It looks like a really nice find; congratulations.

JD
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:

Oh trust me i like to play!!!!! My last ford was a 2001 roush stage 2. I had 4.11 with small modds. Boy it was funn. until my family got to big and the rear seat seemed to get smaller. lol By the way i have four kids but still young!
Uh you better get that figure out or you'll need this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Davis View Post
That's a rare car (one of 574). I've been looking for a good original for a long time. You might want to consider leaving that one stock and original to keep the collector value intact. It looks like a really nice find; congratulations.

JD
That is a hard thing to do. To just put it up and not tinker.

*Rodney*
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

LOL That will be my wife's car. hahaha Dont worry i have a 2002 Oddessy than i have my three toys 95 bronco EB, 93 Integra (my comutter), And my SC.

Ya i would love to store the car and mybe buy another one but money is funny at times. So i'll just store all the orginal parts and dont do no cuting or welding to the SC. Just bolt on's. I have four cars so i will try not to drive it to much. I'm all ready parking it in the garage. And try to drive my other cars around the city.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Ya i would love to store the car and mybe buy another one but money is funny at times. So i'll just store all the orginal parts and dont do no cuting or welding to the SC. Just bolt on's. I have four cars so i will try not to drive it to much. I'm all ready parking it in the garage. And try to drive my other cars around the city.
While rare, not driving is not an option You will find yourself picking it more often than not. I don't know exactly what it is with these things, they are like a magnet, I pick up the keys to the SC before the other keys even get close to my hands.

Could be they are just a real pleasure to drive!!

RJ

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Will i had my first headach with this sc.

I put a new radiator and did the 180 stat change. When i was done the stat housing was leaking from the bottom. Took me three times to get it right and figure it out. Nothing like the best tool man made "The Hammer" cant fix lol. The housing was warped. The stat must of droped on my first try which my have bent it.

I also did the 14 wire and 17 wire cut and jump.

oh i have a question about supercharger fluid. I tryed looking online but haveing a hard time. Think i found the fill hole but how to check level?

Last edited by posjr; 09-12-2007 at 01:38 AM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

WOW i took the car for a ride after the change. The needle never hit N. Took it for about 1mile WOT it twice. Hit the freway for about 1.5 miles never moved past or to N.

I guess i better look into tuning for the coldness i have right? Or i'll run to rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in