3rd Gear Poster

car dies when load applied

on my 1993 thunderbird sc

i've changed the following

1- starter relay
2- battery
3- ignition switch
4- battery terminals

and still doesnt start by the ignition switch only by jumping the starter solenoid, then when its running , the battery reads 13.7 so the alternator is good but when i press the window switch or turn on headlights ( give it any load ) the car dies , i dont know what else to check ??

i think i got my starter relay connected wrong , can anybody post a picture of how it goes , thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 AM

If it reads 13.7 that doesn't mean that it is good. You really need 14.5 to charge your battery with the engine running. It sounds like the battery is toast or you have a bad diode in the alternator. If you put any load on it and it dies that makes me say the battery is dead or you have a bad cell. Make sure the battery is fully charged before you hook it up and try to start the car. Then check the voltage again. Also have the battery checked out. Most parts stores will do it for free.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

thanks for the reply

the battery is new from autozone, 13.7 is low but the alt is doing its job just might be weak im thinking of taking it to autozone to get it tested. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
PostWhore

if the car starts by jumping out the solenoid that eliminates the battery, so forget about the batt

your problem is clearly electrical and can be solved very easily

when you jump the solenoid are you jumping the battery and starter contacts? or are you jumping the solenoid relay and battery contact?

if you jump the solenoid relay (little wire) to the battery contact and starter doesn't spin than the problem is the solenoid, if you jump it and it does spin than you know its not getting a power from the ignition switch, could be multiple reasons

i assume you have an auto so it should be the neutral safety switch, does the car start in neutral? if it doesn't start in park or neutral then its the switch probably

check the wire harness on the trany, make sure those wires are in good condition, disconnect the wires and jump them off then try to start her up, if she vrooms then thats the problem

see not hard at all

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:35 PM
PostWhore

oh if you need to know which wires are for the neutral safety switch i'll have to look it up just LMK if you need it

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:44 PM
PostWhore

oops forgot about the engine death problems, sounds like the ignition switch to me, very rare that both the car won't start and won't charge, only thing that controls both of those would be the ignition switch

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

i open the iginition switch and jump the two big posts on the starter relay on the fender , the car starts , the ignition switch is new , i still cant start the car by the ignition switch i found an open on the small wire to the starter so im going to fix that , i havnt checked the neutral safety switch so i would like some wiring diagrams or something thanks !!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

ok im getting like 3v to the small wire on the starter relay on the fender when i try to start , i already fixed the small wire to the starter. i got a jumper wire from the ignition switch to the small post on the relay and the car started ! , so my problem is there, but when i attached the cable to the switch the car kind of revved a lil bit like it got more power so i dont know if thats whats causing my power loss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in