Best blower replacement option with same geometry? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to BlackbirdSport
Best blower replacement option with same geometry?

My M90 is sounding like a pencil sharpener. If I'm going to dig it out, I'm going to improve it in whatever way I can. Who ports these things, and what kind of increase can I expect?
My only requirement is that I keep the snout (though rebuilt), and I'd realy like to keep the inlet the same, so that the crap can bolt back up to it.

Has anyone played with an eaton MP112? Not the same geometry, but for the potential gain it may be worth the fab work.

"Keep making it thinner until it breaks, then go one size bigger."
My Cougar XR7

Last edited by BlackbirdSport; 10-08-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to rzimmerl
www.magnumpowers.com

Can do rebuilding or just get the MPX. The M112 is entirely different but it can be done. There are a few guys on SCCoA that have done the conversion.

1990 SC AOD 1.7L AR....11.75 @118
441 RWHP 435 RWTQ

Last edited by rzimmerl; 10-08-2007 at 01:43 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimmerl View Post
The M112 is entirely different but it can be done. There are a few guys on SCCoA that have done the conversion.
The M112 in the lightning/cobra, yes. But the MP112 as found in the Jaguar V8 XJR is not. It has no extra castings, just a case. It sucks in the back and blows out the top. The catch is, those flanges are different, and the blower is longer. Fortunately, if I read correctly, you can oder them with differing snout lengths.
Truthfully, I'm not all that impressed with the MPX. I'm already making 320hp with the M90 as it is. If I'm going to dump $1500 on a swap, I'd be inclined to spend it on a unit that blows 400+hp worth of air into production cars.

My Cougar XR7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 PM

The best blower is one that gets the job done. Even if she isn't paid.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdSport View Post
The M112 in the lightning/cobra, yes. But the MP112 as found in the Jaguar V8 XJR is not. It has no extra castings, just a case. It sucks in the back and blows out the top. The catch is, those flanges are different, and the blower is longer. Fortunately, if I read correctly, you can oder them with differing snout lengths.
Truthfully, I'm not all that impressed with the MPX. I'm already making 320hp with the M90 as it is. If I'm going to dump $1500 on a swap, I'd be inclined to spend it on a unit that blows 400+hp worth of air into production cars.
Hello, just wondering what all you have done to your's. You're current blower setup is stock? How much are you overdriving it now? Are you talking 320 hp or 320rwhp?

mywhite89-screen name on sccoa.com

89 supercoupe 5-speed, 1.7, 427rwhp
95 supercoupe auto, mpx, 310rwhp
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Umm, well, basically what I did was, Sell my 96 sport (still have my 91XR7 race car), and bought a jag with one of these:

So, I've got an M90, just not an SC. Factory power is stated as 322bhp. I've got a much better exhaust that stock (OE was retarded), but no Dyno #s, so we'll just call it at stock. My blower is overdriven compared to that of an SC, the pulley I have is as small as any you can buy. The only option for overdriving it further would be a larger crank pulley, available for a sant $400. I'm not going to spend that much on a heat pump.
The best option, I've determined, is just getting a more efficient blower. An SQ trim has crept into my head, as the layout of the engine would be favorable to it. I don't want gobs more power, just 420 to match what the new crappy V8 ones have with their MP112.

My Cougar XR7

Last edited by BlackbirdSport; 10-10-2007 at 07:04 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Umm, well, basically what I did was, Sell my 96 sport (still have my 91XR7 race car), and bought a jag with one of these:

So, I've got an M90, just not an SC. Factory power is stated as 322bhp. I've got a much better exhaust that stock (OE was retarded), but no Dyno #s, so we'll just call it at stock. My blower is overdriven compared to that of an SC, the pulley I have is as small as any you can buy. The only option for overdriving it further would be a larger crank pulley, available for a sant $400. I'm not going to spend that much on a heat pump.
The best option, I've determined, is just getting a more efficient blower. An SQ trim has crept into my head, as the layout of the engine would be favorable to it. I don't want gobs more power, just 420 to match what the new crappy V8 ones have with their MP112.
I've heard of a guy doing that swap, first time i've seen the jaguar engine before. Seems like using the jag blower should be an easier swap then the standard cobra/lightning m112. Havent seen any for sure numbers with one yet. Are the rotors coated in the Jaguar blower?

mywhite89-screen name on sccoa.com

89 supercoupe 5-speed, 1.7, 427rwhp
95 supercoupe auto, mpx, 310rwhp
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
There were 3 SuperCoupes with m112 power at the 2007 shootout.
1st had a lightning blower on it
2nd had lightning rotors in a MPIII case with a custom extension extension for the longer rotors (360HP and 460TQ).
3rd had a Jaguar blower.

1990 White SC 5-speed - Wanna race the 1/2 mile?
2008 Shootout Highest HP M90
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Just go WHipple Whipple Whipple WHipple they make more boost from what i have seen and man are they louder
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:24 PM
5th Gear Poster

This may have been fixed already but I havn't seen any mention of a whipple kit on the jag boards. Though I frequent them less now then previously. The most cost effective seems to be sending the blower off to Magnum Powers to be ported etc.

http://forums.jag-lovers.org/av.php?1037006i86

Black '97 XR7
Magnaflow almost true duals w/ 3" rolled tips
Transgo bucking kit w/ aux cooler
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Veteran Poster

If you're looking for somebody with a Jag blower conversion, I believe KeneWagner over on SCCoA has done it.

'94 SC - Black on Blue. Currently KIA due to drunk driver.
'95 SC - Black on Grey. 45K Miles. Converting to the darkside.
'02 Lincoln LS V8- Black on Grey. Daily Driver.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMags View Post
This may have been fixed already but I havn't seen any mention of a whipple kit on the jag boards. Though I frequent them less now then previously. The most cost effective seems to be sending the blower off to Magnum Powers to be ported etc.

http://forums.jag-lovers.org/av.php?1037006i86
There's a chap over there with a Bell 2.2, andy something or other.

By the way: HMS XJR is me. That post was a clipping from Dave on the SCCoA site.

My Cougar XR7
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM
5th Gear Poster

I should have known, I was looking for a location but didnt see it in the limited time I was searching in the x300 forums. I used to frequent the series III parts more but I gave the car to my father and spend less time looking into the fun things for it now.

Black '97 XR7
Magnaflow almost true duals w/ 3" rolled tips
Transgo bucking kit w/ aux cooler
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Ive used these guy's before. Worth a call.

http://www.psesuperchargers.com/
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

First off, the Jaguar uses an M112, not an MP112. MP is the Magnuson version of the M112, with their own case casting. The jaguar is an Eaton production unit. Magnuson is the only authorized dealer of Eaton superchargers.

Here are a few pics of my MP112 in progress. I'm mounting it on a bracket so that I can use a big water/air intercooler and a more efficient intake manifold design. I had to have a custom made pulley hub made 2" longer to clear the distributor, but the case is just the perfect length for the room I have. Not really worried about hood clearance since this is a race car, it might clear a 3" cowl, might need a 4".

-Thomas

P.S.
I'm also using direct-port nitrous

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Where is this project at now? Looks really promising. Any problems mounting this blower? I dont make it over to the TCCoA much. Just intrested

Ken
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

You talking to me? I'm slowly making progress. Its freezing in the garage so I don't spend much time there in the winter. The custom 8-rib crank pulley is being made at ASP, it's utilizing the Vortech race strut. Turns out its the perfect length for my setup. I also have the direct-port nitrous halfway done. The nozzles are in the intake manifold but I am waiting on a bunch of fittings to come in to complete the tubing.

Here's my progress from start to current.
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35511

-Thomas

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
You talking to me? I'm slowly making progress. Its freezing in the garage so I don't spend much time there in the winter. The custom 8-rib crank pulley is being made at ASP, it's utilizing the Vortech race strut. Turns out its the perfect length for my setup. I also have the direct-port nitrous halfway done. The nozzles are in the intake manifold but I am waiting on a bunch of fittings to come in to complete the tubing.

Here's my progress from start to current.
http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35511

-Thomas
Maybe we will meet at the Iowa club clash. I live in Omaha and am looking forward to going to it this year. Nice work

Ken
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

Actually Ken we've already met and I have seen your sweet bird in person. I was there the day Andy swapped out his tranny for the Lentech AOD at your shop. I don't think my car will be ready this summer, but hopefully the summer of '09
-Thomas

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Actually Ken we've already met and I have seen your sweet bird in person. I was there the day Andy swapped out his tranny for the Lentech AOD at your shop. I don't think my car will be ready this summer, but hopefully the summer of '09
-Thomas
Ok I remember. Well hopefully we will run into each other. I want to attend more meats this year in Nebraska and Iowa. Look forward to seeing your ride

Ken
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Hittin' Switches

Send a message via AIM to musto
i have that same engine in my z, they put out some power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in