Any tips and tricks with the motor somewhat apart - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Any tips and tricks with the motor somewhat apart

I have a 95 sc SC 5sp. Took off alot of stuff today because i have some thing to fix and what not. Heres my question is there anything i can do for that extra gain or mod with motor somewhat apart.

things I'm fixing or adding
1. Motor Mounts both sides
2.All new 103 plugs.
3.FMIC
4.Oil gauge trick
5.power steering hose.
6.Leaking tstat housing again! I think i used the wrong gasket maker stuff.
7.going to hollow out cats or try to bypass the cats. (any help on this would be great looks like a B****. I can weld but have no tube bender!)
8.Wide throat top hat( if thats what its called)
9. CAI
10. Bullit rims 18x9 275/35 rears and 245/40 front

And here are some pix of where i'm at right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I wouldn't reccomend gutting the cats. The SCs without cats sound horrible. They get a rattling sound to them, and it sounds like some ricey honda. What I would reccomend is porting out the exhaust manifolds. And if you can afford it, get a full exhaust bent up with high-flow cats. Once the exhaust is opened up, with your FMIC and raised top, you should be good for a 10%OD pulley.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good i'll research this tonight. But cant afford the whole exhaust system rebent but can for the cat's. The FMIC is pulling alot of money!

Thanxs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 PM
PostWhore

heres a tip to gut the cats and keep the stock appearearance, no need to cut them or anything

go to your local building supplier (home depot, lowes, etc..) get 2 cans of acetone ($7 each) pour some in the front two cats, and pour some in the rear cat, make sure you take off the resonator and pour the acetone directly into the cat not the resonator. Its probably a little rusted on but with brute force it will come off.

Let the mid pipe sit overnight then in the morning run the garden hose thru it from front to back, then from back to front, be sure to clear it out well. Then let it dry for 2-3 hours and intall back on the ride. Presto! should be good for 2-3 more hp and 1-2 more mpg with better throttle response and even a tad more low end torque, also the car will be able to beathe a tad better at higher rpms

probably won't be a night and day difference but will help, every little thing adds up

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 12:48 PM
PostWhore

your pic links don't work

www.mypicshare.com

is what i use

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

What will the acetone do? Clean them really good. Or burn the cats away?

I was thinking of gutting the thrid cat only and the other two i'll weld some piping.

[[img=http://www.mypicshare.com/thumbs/20071015/d57pa1ff.jpg

[img=http://www.mypicshare.com/thumbs/20071015/d57pa1ff.jpg
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to mechman1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post
heres a tip to gut the cats and keep the stock appearearance, no need to cut them or anything

go to your local building supplier (home depot, lowes, etc..) get 2 cans of acetone ($7 each) pour some in the front two cats, and pour some in the rear cat, make sure you take off the resonator and pour the acetone directly into the cat not the resonator. Its probably a little rusted on but with brute force it will come off.

Let the mid pipe sit overnight then in the morning run the garden hose thru it from front to back, then from back to front, be sure to clear it out well. Then let it dry for 2-3 hours and intall back on the ride. Presto! should be good for 2-3 more hp and 1-2 more mpg with better throttle response and even a tad more low end torque, also the car will be able to beathe a tad better at higher rpms

probably won't be a night and day difference but will help, every little thing adds up

I would not recommend this. The cats are there for a reason just leave them alone. As for the 2-3 hp that is just very questionable. With the average dyno having an error of 2hp you would never be able to confirm that number. As well the cats are not that much of a flow restriction that you would gain power by removing them. Also I highly doubt there will be improved mileage because the volumetric efficiency is not being raised appreciably by hollowing the cats out. Finally there is no easy way to tell where the flow restriction on the motor is i.e. intake or exhaust so merely be getting a few more cfm out of the exhaust might not do all that much if the intake is the limiting factor. Additionally depending on how the exhaust waves/pulses work out you might actually be sending a positive pressure way back at the valve as it opens to expel the exhaust gas. This would have to be done in a lab in a controlled environment to truly determine the benefit of hollowing the cats.

Will

Will

08 Ford Ranger
95 Thunderbird V8-Sold!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:23 PM

i agree leave the cats alone quick gain take out air silencer 1, two port and cut the post out of your maf 2 , check for vac leaks 3, and not enough money to do headers go with a 5% OD it will be safe with stock exhaust i have a stock set up with a 5 %OD and its adds like 3-4 pounds of boost to mine
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:07 PM

On the thermostat housing, I made this mistake, the gasket (I dont know where you bought your new one before) but when I got mine at O'Reilly's it came with sticky stuff so you dont have to hold it, and I forgot to remove that strip covering it, causing it to leak again....just a thought.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear Poster

If you do anything to the cats you probably won't pass the CA emissions inspection now will you?? Isn't that
a consideration?

Ira

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irar View Post
If you do anything to the cats you probably won't pass the CA emissions inspection now will you?? Isn't that
a consideration?

Ira
Nope not for me. Have 2 years to worry about that.

Will this was alittle old but car is already back togther. With two front cats cut out and welded a j bend steel piping. Left thrid cat until i do the whole system
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear Poster

the pics of your exhaust system is different from mine i just removed for a complete new system w/headers, high flow cats and magnaflow resonator and mufflers. mine only had the front 2 cats. i wonder why the 5-speed cars had 3 cats and the autos only 2 cats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in