TCCoA Forums banner

MLS or not?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Robert M 
#1 ·
I have searched and searched and have found no definite answer. I have found many posts that imply that Felpro head gasket set HP9642PT are MLS gaskets and many posts that imply that they are not MLS gaskets. Are they or are they not? I have already bought the set and do not know how to tell the difference visually.
The outside of the box has the contents listed with individual part numbers but there was a piece of paper taped to it and then ripped off so I cannot see what the part number for the head gaskets is.
Can someone help me figure this out? I want to put the car back together this weekend and I will not use anything other than MLS gaskets.

#2 ·
I don't know if that part number is correct or not, but you should easily be able to tell if it is a MLS gasket. MLS gaskets are multi-layered gaskets and all of the layers are usually held together with a couple of rivets.

#3 ·
Then I would definitely say these are not MLS. Thanks.

#5 ·
Your Block and heads should be perfectly flat no matter what kind of gaskets you use.
Some people on the SCCOA say that you should have the heads finished to a mirror like surface before installing the MLS gaskets. I didnt do this with my rebuild and havent had any problems.
The part number I have is the same, except mine reads HS9642 PT-1 .. for a 94/95 Supercoupe. The label should read MLS head gaskets if yours isnt intact.

- Dan

#6 ·
I had the heads finished to a near mirror shine. I just cleaned the deck of the block really well and checked with a straight edge. According to the people at SCCoA the deck of the block doesn't have to be prepped as intensively as the heads.
No where on (or in) the package did it mention MLS. I could see the metal rings around the cylinder holes and no rivets but they seemed to be better made than generic head gaskets. Looking at the edge I did not see "layers" of steel. They were gray in color.
I took them back yesterday and ordered all the gaskets separately. It was much more expensive but I know what I want and I will not compromise this.

#8 ·
It is no longer available. Had to order the expensive left and right ones.

#9 ·
Just to clarify:
I picked up the gaskets today. The others (HS9642 PT) were definitely not MLS. The MLS gaskets are heavy metal gaskets. Now that I have seen them there is no way to mistake others for MLS. If you want MLS you have to buy them individually: "9262 PT" and "9263 PT".

#11 ·
This is best

Heck with MLS gaskets do like I did O-ring the block with receiver grooves in the heads with copper head gaskets. I run 11.1 with 35-36PSI with no problems I had BHJ make a special tooling to do this with the 3.8 just like we do on the blown alcohol PM engines we build

#12 ·
I've been using the Felpro MLS gaskets since 2001....IMO, they are the best thing since sliced bread. I'm also using the same style gaskets on my turbo car (Cometic).

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.