SC engine, leak @ the oil cooler thing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

SC engine, leak @ the oil cooler thing

Not long ago I got my cougar running again, quite nicely I might add. After about 2 weeks or so, I noticed a very slight leak ...so I went to investigate. I traced it down to the cooler that sits between the oil filter and the pump. Ok, fine, went to ford for the replacement gasket and sure enough (after 5 minutes of explaining what the hell it was) they have them ...only 3 left in the country by the way.

Anyway, I order the over priced gasket, and quite easily replaced it. Put it alllll back together and rather irritated to find out ...I still got the leak, and of course, now there's more of it. A drip a second instead of a few minutes.

Good news, since its a new engine, it's REALLY EASY to find a leak so I know its coming from the same place -- that gasket. Problem I have is two fold. 1, how much torque should I use on it? The old gasket was completely flat where this new one still shows a bit of meat -- leads me to believe I may not have tightened it up enough, so whats the torque spec on it ...if there is one? Second, was/is there any special considerations when reinstalling that cooler other than the gallon of radiator fluid that comes down the tubes?

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
soon to install : "fixed" heads and a damn tune. Project snaked8 continues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Factory spec for the oil cooler is 22-30 ft lbs.

FYI, you could have used the sealing ring from an oil filter.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

22-30 eh? good to know. I'll check it hopefully this weekend. Really gettin tired of this stupid leak.

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

That area commonly gets bent due to over-tightening.
I spent several weeks trying to locate that filter until I realized that you can use the gasket that comes in new oil filters. Just buy an extra oil filter (Motorcraft worked well for me.) and sacrifice the filter next time you need that gasket.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

that would explain WHY its leaking still. Either that or the [email protected]#*%([email protected]# thing is cracked, which also wouldn't surprise me.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_72 View Post
That area commonly gets bent due to over-tightening.
I spent several weeks trying to locate that filter until I realized that you can use the gasket that comes in new oil filters. Just buy an extra oil filter (Motorcraft worked well for me.) and sacrifice the filter next time you need that gasket.
Yep...just went through this when installing a new motor last month. I actually put a thin layer of permatex RTV on either side of the new gasket that seals the cooler to the oil pump, just to make sure it didn't leak.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

RTV for the win. Might even have a little bit of that left over ...somewhere

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Well, I just yanked it, retightened to spec and was smart this time -- I wrapped a paper towel (or ...4 of them) around the area in question and started it. Ok, not -really- started it but enough to get the oil moving and expose the location of the leak -- its the damn radiator block thing. I'll be removing that soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in