New Engine - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

New Engine

Today I picked up a NEW, and complete 1990 3.8SC engine. Buy complete, I mean all accessories, (ALT/AC/PS), belts, supercharger, exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, wiring harness, I mean everything but the starter, and flywheel. I thought it was $200 well, spent. The story is the engine was one of a lot of 8, that were pulled from SC test bed cars at Ford. Well, from what I can tell, and what I was told, this thing has never been run. I just hope the cylinders, and internals are still OK after all these years. I will take a few pictures and post them tomorrow. Here is the car it is going in. Fully loaded, 5 spd., with 110K mi., (with a bad rod knock).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:26 AM
PostSlut

sounds great.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

I few pictures

kind of a mystery, as it had to have been run..light carbon in the exh. manifolds, and just a touch on the plug shell, but the tips look almost new. I pulled the oil plug, and got a 1/2 qt. of very black oil, but it had no smell. As you can see, the block is quite rusty, the aluminium looks normal. Oh well, hope it runs ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Nice! I'd take a close look at a 20 year old accessory belt, however

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear Poster

In need of an engine...any further info???
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

that orange spray paint on the accesories reminds me of the cash for clunkers cars hope it runs good

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Poster

Cool find for $200, I was kinda wondering about the orange markings myself. Might be that they are markings from the testers. How did you stumble across this great find?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird66 View Post
Cool find for $200, I was kinda wondering about the orange markings myself. Might be that they are markings from the testers. How did you stumble across this great find?
I dont know what testers do that ... probably from the Junk / salvage yards.

But it is nice to see another SC being repaired.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Well, it might be a 20 year old salvage deal, but the guy swears that engine, and a few others were pulled out of supercoupes so the cars could be used to test 4.6 V-8's. Whatever, but from what I can tell, everything looks original. Like the hoses, belts, spark plugs, etc. I started wondering if it has the early non-forged crank, but not sure how to check that. I will do a pre-oil, and roll it over a few times before I drop it in. I looked down the oil fill, and the head, rocker, and valve spring look brand new. Oh, I found it in Craigslist, and the guy had them in his hanger only 20 mins. from my house. He has one more, that was used briefly in his airplane. I also got the factory 1990 shop , and emission manuals, wiring, and vacuum diagrams.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

3.8 SC motor in an airplane?!?

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
How efficiently can a supercharger work at 10,000 feet?

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1rider View Post
Well, it might be a 20 year old salvage deal, but the guy swears that engine, and a few others were pulled out of supercoupes so the cars could be used to test 4.6 V-8's. Whatever, but from what I can tell, everything looks original. Like the hoses, belts, spark plugs, etc. I started wondering if it has the early non-forged crank, but not sure how to check that. I will do a pre-oil, and roll it over a few times before I drop it in. I looked down the oil fill, and the head, rocker, and valve spring look brand new. Oh, I found it in Craigslist, and the guy had them in his hanger only 20 mins. from my house. He has one more, that was used briefly in his airplane. I also got the factory 1990 shop , and emission manuals, wiring, and vacuum diagrams.
Cool find .. check out the Stickers on the valve covers .. see if there are any dates printed on there.

The early 1989's had the Duracast but those were replaced half way through the year, so unless you have one of the earliest 1989's you should be OK.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
How efficiently can a supercharger work at 10,000 feet?
Considering blowers started in aircraft I figure very. The P-38 had blowers in series hence the term inter-cooler, because it was between the two blowers.

If it is a cast crank hold on to it. I figure that is were the money will be in the SCs--espically if had the car that the engine was in.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Yes, there was a guy that posted pictures years ago on what was then TBSCEC and later merged with the SCCoA. There is a post from the guy that was posted back in 2002. If you aren't a SCCoA member, you won't be able to see the post.

Here's a little info from the post
Quote:
There are a few pics of my plane at bd-4.org but none of the engine instl. Those pictures are still in my film camera; I'll get them developed tommorrow and send them to the webmaster of the above site who is always happy to post whatever. Briefly, the engine sits backward so the output end is forward. A 1.7:1 prop speed reducer drives the prop about 2300 at 4000 engie RPM. The intercooler is alongside the speed reducer facing the oncoming wind with a fairing around it. The main radiator lies flat under the oil pan and ram air comes in through the cowling, pressurizes it, and it goes out (down) through the radiator. I run about 210 F under practically all conditions.

I should mention that I'm not running an EGR; it was in the way of the speed reducer. Also, I have a buddy, John Steere of Martinsville, IN who has the same kind of plane and engine combination as me, but has a lot more time on his (~100 hr). He recently started having the same kind of misfire problems as I noticed right from the beginning. The basic 3.8L V6 has been used with good success by aircraft types for about the last 20 yr. I think John and I are the only ones running the super coupe option.
More later-----
Steve
I checked the site, but couldn't find anything.

Found a site with pictures
http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/arti...009-01_bd4.asp

Kurt K (e-mail)
"I'll either die owning this car or it will kill me."
'92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748 mph, 2.0 AR power
. . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
'95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
'90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really! Any Offers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in