Just got a 92 SC. Mechanical questions inside. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Just got a 92 SC. Mechanical questions inside.

I just picked up a 1992 Super Coupe 5 speed. It's in rough shape, but nothing that I can't fix with a bit of help from here. I am a mechanic and I can tackle any job, but I am not skilled with superchargers or transmissions.

The supercharger was bypassed, spinning by hand reveals metallic noises from inside, so I am guessing that it needs a rebuild. What is involved in rebuilding it? I have seen a rebuild kit for the M90 on ebay, but I am wary of most stuff on ebay. The kit contains bearings and seals. Any chance that it will fix my issue, or should I be on the prowl for a junkyard charger?

Secondly, the 2nd and 3rd gear syncros are toast in the transmission. I have searched and I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for it, any suggestions on where to look for one? I have found plenty of them for F150's, but reading the guide here shows that only a few of the parts work for the SC tranny.

Lastly, I have a nice little knock coming from the motor, but it damn sure doesn't sound like a rod to me, plus I found a log book in the car that showed a rebuild on the engine 20K ago. Anything specific to look for aside from the usual suspects of lifters, rocker arms and rods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 AM

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Ouch, that is rough on a rebuild kit. Any other options for the transmissions? T5 or T45 maybe? I know that some fab work would be in order for the shifter and converting from the cable system to the hydraulic.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Ouch, that is rough on a rebuild kit. Any other options for the transmissions? T5 or T45 maybe? I know that some fab work would be in order for the shifter and converting from the cable system to the hydraulic.
Dont even bother, the T5 wont hold up to the 3.8 SC's power for too long and the T45 wont bolt up period.

Find a used M5R2 in working condition .. I have two on the side of my house.

Find a replacement supercharger ( 89-93 are a dime a dozen, cheap to come across .. much cheaper than re-building ) .. or upgrade to the 94/95 Supercharger if you have an extra $250-300 laying around.

Check www.sccoa.com .. plenty of information over there.

Also, check for knocking sounds .. could be a harmonic balancer or loose pulley .. or the infamous Rod knock. Also check your motor mounts, make sure your Oil Pan isnt rubbing on the K-member.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Dont even bother, the T5 wont hold up to the 3.8 SC's power for too long and the T45 wont bolt up period.

Find a used M5R2 in working condition .. I have two on the side of my house.

Find a replacement supercharger ( 89-93 are a dime a dozen, cheap to come across .. much cheaper than re-building ) .. or upgrade to the 94/95 Supercharger if you have an extra $250-300 laying around.

Check www.sccoa.com .. plenty of information over there.

Also, check for knocking sounds .. could be a harmonic balancer or loose pulley .. or the infamous Rod knock. Also check your motor mounts, make sure your Oil Pan isnt rubbing on the K-member.
T5's were used in 5.0L IROC's, depending on the model, they could make 230HP and 300ftlbs of torque. I would love to go back stock with it. Damn sure makes my life easier, but I am not finding much in the way of parts locally.

The knocking is fast paced, on the upper portion of the motor, doesn't have the extreme THUNK of a rod knock. First entry in the log book that was in the car. "Engine Rebuild. It's ALIVE. 138K miles". It has 150K now, so unless someone made a huge mistake in the lower end, rods just don't seem likely to me. Seems more like they left a rocker nut loose or something.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Engine

You could have a bent pushrod or valve if it is on the upper part of the motor, i have had many super coupes and in most of them though, a rod bearing went out. they can do that very quickly depending on how well it was put together. Pull valve covers off and take a look.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc4u2nv View Post
You could have a bent pushrod or valve if it is on the upper part of the motor, i have had many super coupes and in most of them though, a rod bearing went out. they can do that very quickly depending on how well it was put together. Pull valve covers off and take a look.
As soon as I get some free time, I will. Funny cause the last entry of the journal was from February 08 and the mileage was 148K, now 150K. Then I found receipts from December of last year in the car. Obviously it didn't get driven that much in 3 years, someone parked it for some reason.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:33 AM
2nd Gear Poster

JC-
When I needed M5R2 parts, I went to http://www.thegearbox.org/home.html
They were pretty knowledgable and helpful. Not to much $$$ either.

Triston

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6L, T45
1989 Thunderbird SC 3.8L..... SOLD
1964 Falcon HT 302/C4
1984 Girlfriend, Low Miles

You don't tear off your knuckles writing a check every month!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The T5 would hold up for a while behind a stock 3.8SC motor, but they are nowhere near as strong as the M5R2. Also, the M5R2 has better gear ratios to move these heavy cars, and they are usually pretty cheap to pick up a spare one. My reccomendation as far as the transmission goes is stick with what you have and look for another one in good shape. As the supply of M5R2s dwindle, the T56 swap will become the better option, but for the amount of fab work needed to take a step backwards and put a T5 in there, it is not worth it.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in