What rods/pistons to get? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

What rods/pistons to get?

Well, I have started the tear down of my 92 3.8L SC engine after a stethoscope on the oil pan revealed the location of my knock. It's either a rod or a busted piston, so I am going in for a full rebuild. If my rods are toast, what kind can I get to replace them? Are they the same as a normal 3.8L car? Same question applies to pistons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Well, I have started the tear down of my 92 3.8L SC engine after a stethoscope on the oil pan revealed the location of my knock. It's either a rod or a busted piston, so I am going in for a full rebuild. If my rods are toast, what kind can I get to replace them? Are they the same as a normal 3.8L car? Same question applies to pistons.
A knock is caused by a Bearing that has been worn down .. if your rods or piston busted, it might not turn over at all.

When you get a rod knock, the piston skirt usually drags against the cylinder wall.

Only way to know for sure is to tear down your engine and measure the Crankshaft ( may need welding, grinding / polishing ) .. connecting rods ( these are SC specific, Forged rods, the NA 3.8 are garbage ) can be measured - and straightened possibly, sometimes they "shrink" .. and the engine block / cylinder walls .. if your pistons have been dragging, you may need to Bore it out instead of a hone. Pistons are basically the same Hypereutectic silicone / aluminum .. but the SC has a different compression ratio as the NA so I would stick with SC parts only, or upgrade to Forged.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
A knock is caused by a Bearing that has been worn down .. if your rods or piston busted, it might not turn over at all.

When you get a rod knock, the piston skirt usually drags against the cylinder wall.

Only way to know for sure is to tear down your engine and measure the Crankshaft ( may need welding, grinding / polishing ) .. connecting rods ( these are SC specific, Forged rods, the NA 3.8 are garbage ) can be measured - and straightened possibly, sometimes they "shrink" .. and the engine block / cylinder walls .. if your pistons have been dragging, you may need to Bore it out instead of a hone. Pistons are basically the same Hypereutectic silicone / aluminum .. but the SC has a different compression ratio as the NA so I would stick with SC parts only, or upgrade to Forged.
I had a 94 dodge ram with a cracked piston and it sounded just like a rod knock, but it's rare. I got pretty much the same answer on the sccoa, you confirmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
I had a 94 dodge ram with a cracked piston and it sounded just like a rod knock, but it's rare. I got pretty much the same answer on the sccoa, you confirmed.
Yeah its hard to say without actually taking the motor apart, at this point its all speculation - but once you get it apart the damage should be pretty noticeable. And then you will be able to decide if it is salvageable or have a machine shop do the measurements.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

how much boost can the sc rods and pistons handle?

Beater lx,current mods: cold air,drilled and slotted rotors,glass pack muffler. Scrapped
Teal terror 94...trans slip and a fram air hog filter!
94 Sc :Cobra R hood,96-97 Front lights,3.73 Trac Lok,1" Raised top,5% OD Blower Pulley,CAI,Removed resonator,Gutted cats,No mufflers. "It roams around in a open loop speed density tune. killing small children and raping helpless mothers at night."
....THAT DOES NOT MATTER!....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsilver95lx View Post
That is the million dollar question.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsilver95lx View Post
A little bit more

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
5oh Transformer

Send a message via AIM to ZeroRain
Usually its the a pound or two less then what made it go BOOM. lol

Zero

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX EFI Swapped 311 5spd "TT 5oh project"
1998 Ford Taurus SE 24v Duratec auto "DD"
1966 Ford Galaxy 500 352 Cruise-O-Matic "Restoration Car"

We don't just dream about fast toys, we build them!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I've read guys boosting up to 22-24 PSI.

Better ways to gain power than just adding boost.

Make sure you open up your exhaust and get yourself a better intercooler than stock. If you haven't already that is.

'95 SC
Garage
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Well, I found the source of the knock finally. Number 1 rod had no bearing on it, the number 4 rod bearing was spun. Good news is that someone bought a lot of aftermarket goodies for it. ARP Main studs, ARP head studs, Sealed Power Hardened Hyper Eutectic pistons .20 over, and what looks like an aftermarket rod set. It also has a BBK 75MM throttle body, magnaflow exhaust and a B&M Short throw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in