It's gonna need a engine.....major rod knock at 96k miles. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

It's gonna need a engine.....major rod knock at 96k miles.

Well it died. Cruising along......and bam. 95 SC Pearl White loaded with everything, 96K miles.

It's dead straight body, new leather seats make me wanna fix it. Engine was resealed with all new gaskets, new timing chaing/front cover and everything up top (injectors, egr stuff, hoses, belts, etc) about 5K miles ago, big Griffin radiator.

Just beyond pissed right now.

What am I looking at with just doing a stock rebuild but with arp bolts and stuff?

Max
2014 Chevy SS
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6
1994 T-Bird LX 4.6
2014 Chevy SS Sedan
2013 Camaro SS
2009 Dodge Charger Daytona
1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible 455.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Talk to XR7Dave, David Dalke
He is the man when it comes to supercoupe engines.

Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:34 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkn600ctd View Post
Well it died. Cruising along......and bam. 95 SC Pearl White loaded with everything, 96K miles. ..Engine was resealed with all new gaskets, new timing chaing/front cover...
Hmmmm... Wondering why you did all that. I mean what was the base problem, then?
And what oil do you use? {Just filling my fact-bin}
Quote:

Just beyond pissed right now.

What am I looking at with just doing a stock rebuild but with arp bolts and stuff?
Guy was just telling me yesterday a customer of his sold a cherry looking 95 SC for $1700 bucks. He said he'd have snapped it up at 2000.

That's neither here nor there but sort of points to 'If you have to ask how much.. then do you really want to do it'?
Judging from your list of cars, I know you know what I mean.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
Hmmmm... Wondering why you did all that. I mean what was the base problem, then?
And what oil do you use? {Just filling my fact-bin}

Guy was just telling me yesterday a customer of his sold a cherry looking 95 SC for $1700 bucks. He said he'd have snapped it up at 2000.

That's neither here nor there but sort of points to 'If you have to ask how much.. then do you really want to do it'?
Judging from your list of cars, I know you know what I mean.
Well 1st the intake manifold was leaking so it was sealed up and I replaces all the crap on top (egr and it's electronics, injector o-rings, etc). Then the water pump failed. Then the front cover, so it was replaced with a new one and oil pump and new timing chain since the cover was off. Then the oil pan started leaking.....so it was pulled and resealed. New plugs, wires, O2's, cam and crank sensors, new supercoupe performance balancer, then while it was inthe Vegas heat, the big Griffin radiator was installed to keep the HG happy and not blowing.

The car has had a healthy diet of Mobil 1. There was no warning at all. Drove it in the morning and it was fine. Dead in the afternoon,

Max
2014 Chevy SS
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6
1994 T-Bird LX 4.6
2014 Chevy SS Sedan
2013 Camaro SS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Seriously all it would need is a short block.....everything else is less than a year old or 5k miles.....just really wish it was something easy like a head gasket, versus the whole darn engine!

Max
2014 Chevy SS
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6
1994 T-Bird LX 4.6
2014 Chevy SS Sedan
2013 Camaro SS
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM

http://www.apmengineparts.com/ford-3...81-95-rod.html
might not be a supercoupe rod but at least its a rod and a company called Northen Auto sells a master rebuild kit with what seems like forged pistons even comes with a new cam for $800
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

First, follow dirtyd0g's advice. Get in touch with XR7 Dave. He frequents SCCoA. Send all of your good parts, if not the whole engine to him. Me, I'd send everything (manifolds, cam sensor, etc.) so you can get a whole engine back that just needs unboxing before you plop it in the engine bay. None of this short block or long block install prep.

I went through this with my son's SC, TWICE! By the time I was done, it cost me more for a stock rebuild than what I could have paid Dave for a better performing and more durable engine. If the engine is done right once, you shouldn't have further problems.

Second, replace all of that EGR stuff in the back of the engine while the engine's out. Or get a tune to eliminate it. My EGR components were allergic to engine swaps. Worked fine before the swap and failed after the install... ...TWICE!

Third, if you do get a new engine, get a tune to turn on both fans earlier to aviod any cooling problems. Or at least wire up a couple of temperature switches to switch them on early.

I wouldn't mind short block or long block swaps with the Windsor or Mod motors but when it comes to working on an SC, give me a complete engine any day.

-Allan

92 Sport -5.0L
Rolling on 17s, long tubes and a "To-Do" list
97 Sport -4.6L
Rolling on 17s, SOLD but not forgotten
15 Scat Pack -M6
Rolling on 20s... like that means something

------------------------
Non-Official Parts Hoarder
Cars, guitars, cigars, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in