Alternator - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Alternator

Ok what is so special about the SC alternator that it costs 180 bucks and no one can get it in stock for four days? I would think that it was a standard ford part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Ok what is so special about the SC alternator that it costs 180 bucks and no one can get it in stock for four days? I would think that it was a standard ford part.
Well, one huge difference is that there are 8 ribs on the pulley instead of 6.

.. dont know what Auto parts store you deal with, if I needed a SC alternator they are usually in stock or it takes 1 day to transfer from the hub.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:49 AM
6th Gear Poster

Of course you could get alternator off any 3.8 Mustang from 94-00 and just change the pulley.

Or.. if the fail mode is it quit charging at over 1500 rpm and starts charging when you tap the case, then you could go to NAPA and spend 15 bucks for a brush set.

I will never again buy a 'rebuilt' alternator.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I have checked at Advanced, Autozone, Orielly, Pepboys and napa nobody has one with out a four day wait. I ordered it but it is going to cost me an additional 60 in gas driving the dually for 4 days.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Or you could hop on rockauto.com and get one shipped to you in a day or two for less than what these retail stores charge (depending which alt. you choose).

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
I have checked at Advanced, Autozone, Orielly, Pepboys and napa nobody has one with out a four day wait. I ordered it but it is going to cost me an additional 60 in gas driving the dually for 4 days.
That sucks.

There's not an independent rebuild shop around?

We have three at least in Shreveport-Bossier - I walk in by 10 AM with the old alternator, for under $80 I can either get my pulley put on one he's got on the shelf or come back that afternoon with mine rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing and how to do it.

RwP
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
That sucks.

There's not an independent rebuild shop around?

We have three at least in Shreveport-Bossier - I walk in by 10 AM with the old alternator, for under $80 I can either get my pulley put on one he's got on the shelf or come back that afternoon with mine rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing and how to do it.

RwP
'cuz it's like 'Rocket science' Two different people in my little burg got into the 'rebuild' biz in the last twenty years. Then got out because it's not the rebuild that's expensive it's the logistics.

I just explained your likely fail.. tap the back and it charges, then it's a brush set and cleanup. That's if it's a Motorcraft.

OR go to junkyard, get same OE part off 3.8 stang and change pulley.

Look at Rockauto's cross check list.. you are waiting that long for a rare 8 rib pulley on a common OE part.

__________________________________________________ ___
For posterity.. meaning future readers:

You want the Motorcraft 130A part. High priced? Think Sound system upgrade to figure out why.

Most scrapyards sell used for core price or slightly less, plus core. Last one I bought.. several years ago..their core was half of part store core.

Usual fail in the three different series {all motorcraft} alts I've dealt with were worn brushes.. about 150 - 190 Kmiles. Light first comes on at speed, may come back to charge at idle. Tap back of housing will start charge again. Just like the starter trick.

Major parts of alt:
1. Stator/ diode assy - no point in fixing it unless you see a broken wire connection.

2. Front housing with bearing. Got industrial /commercial connections? Bearing replaceable at half price of on line ordering as civilian if you do.
- rotor... only bad if brass rings are shot. seldom shorts in windings, never seen bad rear bearing surface {out of about ten}

3. Rear housing:
- sleeve bearing. usually good
- brush set - available rockauto, napa about $15
- voltage regulator, avail rockauto napa about $45

Of course for SC owners, like in this thread, the issue is the pulley remove/ replace.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-12-2011 at 10:31 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'll still stick with getting mine rebuilt by the pros (locals). He's faster and cheaper than I could do it.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in