Oil in the tube - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Oil in the tube

I took the exit tube off the car today to change out the alternator and discovered oil in the tube does this mean I have a seal leaking in the snout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Which "tube"?

Intercooler? If so this is normal, and the only fix is to install a catch can in the PCV system (between valve and intake).

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

It is the tube that goes from the blower to the intercooler. Where would this oil come from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:14 AM
Veteran Poster

From the line that goes from the valve cover to the intake. I am going to grab an extra valve cover and try to set up a baffle of some sort see if I can stop this issue. I'll keep you posted on this topic.

Phrum Steve

89 Thunderbird SC 3.8SC W/ Factory manual
http://photobucket.com/SCno1

94 Thunderbird LX 3.8 N/A Automatic
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...Bird%20No%203/
sold, sadly

95 Thunderbird SC deal pending
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

This issue has been discussed on SCCOA and the only fix for now is a catch can. A oil separator/air compressor filter will work too.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thank you for your responses. I was worried that I had a big problem on my hands. It's nice to know that normal.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:52 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Chances are if you have oil in the top tube, you may want to remove the IC and let the oil out of the lower tube as well. Most likely you will have a puddle in the bottom of the IC. Use a good oil separator. l use a different setup with a remote oil filter so I can change it out as needed as a separator. I will try to snap a picture of what I use.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

Tim

1994 Cougar 3.8L Supercharged
1990 Tbird Supercoupe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 AM
6th Gear Poster

That's interesting. I thought this was a good exercise in common sense so I did some research.

- What follows is a long exercise in logic. As opposed to hearsay and idiocy. You're warned.
There needs to be a good oil separator in the Crankcase air supply tube.

What about the PCV valve?

When I had my SVO it called for a different part # PCV so the charge pressure couldnt backflow at all. I checked a usual 2.3L PCV and there was some backflow allowed. With the specific TC/SVO part there wasnt.
The SVO also had a good sized oil separator STOCK.

A search draws out all sorts of interesting stuff..
http://www.google.com/search?q=pcv+valve+for+turbo
-such as "if you allow the crankcase to pressurize, it will crack pistons ring lands"... WTF!!! Some idiot (Probably an AlGore fan-boy) gets cause and effect reversed. I would LOVE to make him explain that!!
And a thread on 'PCV theory' says many will 'leak under high boost resulting in slight crankcase pressure'.
- Gee, I would think the crankcase pressurized due to blowby that the intake cant recover.
Check your new SC or Cobra specific pcv I'll bet it holds pretty damn well under 20 lbs. It may drop but will it blow out a candle? If it wont blow out a candle it aint a problem. If it does blow out a candle, try one spec'd for the SVO.

But there's several references to an additional check valve for the purpose to be installed in PCV line. Like I said.. if the PCV leaks bet it wont blow out a candle so that's useless.

Some even talk about removing the PCV circulation system altogether. I'd guess that's okay for a purely race car. But for a daily driver? Stupid. One guy nails it.. says you'd have more oil contamination from combustion gases.
Somehow I think there's even be more water condensate but I cant prove that.

So a little MORE work yields that using a PCV valve for an SVO - or a Supra- helps.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/supe...seperator.html
What ALSO helps I would think is that the SVO and TC {IIRC, ALL 2.3L} came with an oil separator to the lower crankcase.
bad thing is I cant even find a picture of it, alone or on engine in google images and the part was discontinued LONG ago. Find a TC and look in front of distributor
MERKUR and TC ALSO had what looked like an old timey valve cover breather {ie oil separator} with tube to the filter box before the vane meter.

With my SVO it spent a whole lot of time under boost, I never had a problem with oil in my filter box or turbo intake, up to the point I sold it at 189,000.
But it had an oil separator.
- For SOME reason I think its PCV was to the valve cover {w/ internal separator} and not to the oil separator, unlike the TC and Merkur. Again cant find the proof in image.
Run an oil separator. If you still got a lot of oil in the intake before the Throttle body.. check your PCV and then check cylinder leakdown.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-16-2011 at 10:24 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
^^^^^ LOL ... okay apples and oranges, next time do your research at the SCCOA website, this has been discussed for over 10 years now. Merkur .. what ?! If you have Oil before your Throttle body = its definately not a SC.

The blow by is "normal", oil vapors inside of the Air charge tube gets condensated when it runs through the intercooler. It only draws in Vacuum, the PCV should close under boost or else you will have oil shooting out the dipstick.

I dont run a seperator on my Super Coupes FWIW.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:52 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
^^^^^ LOL ... okay apples and oranges, next time do your research at the SCCOA website, this has been discussed for over 10 years now. Merkur .. what ?! If you have Oil before your Throttle body = its definately not a SC.
I dont run a seperator on my Super Coupes FWIW.
Rambling as it was .. GORSH! I did look at SCCOA and saw several!

Lessee... sorry. I was dealing with it in 91, when you were ten years old. And learning not to read.

FWIW.. The summary is.. when the PCV is working properly, it's a product of blowby.

So good.. you have good ring and valve seal!

If any mod wants.. he could move my 2 posts to the TC threads.. I dont care.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-21-2011 at 11:57 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
Lessee... sorry. I was dealing with it in 91, when you were ten years old. And learning not to read.

What is your problem ?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:00 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Thank you for your responses. I was worried that I had a big problem on my hands. It's nice to know that normal.
Yes..as stated earlier it's normal to get oil into the IC tubes from the PCV system. Over the years I've tried everything from inline fuel filters to compressed air oil seperators to fix the issue. Nothing really worked until installing an oil seperator that was designed specifically for that purpose. Supercharged Lightnings and Cobras have the same problem with oil mist going into the motor, but it's not as apparent because they don't use intercooler pipes like an SC does.

This link has info and pictures of the oil seperator (built for Lightnings & Cobras) that I'm using now. It works very well and keeps the oil out of the intercooler pipes and more importantly the combustion chambers. The biggest concern with the oily mist getting into the motor is not a reduction in power...it's the greater potential for detonation. It's a little pricey but it works.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111004

Manufacturer's link.

http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in