Need your brains! 3.8 SC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Need your brains! 3.8 SC

I need your brains on this one. A 93 SC with a brand new engine. After assembly and installation the car has had 1 probelm. Fires up when cold great. After roughly 20 seconds it starts to miss mildly with a rough idle. Moments later you gotta keep it running by light reving, its get so bad with some popping, you gotta shut her off. Now, you turn the key it will fire back up running rough. I noticed that once it has any heat in it at all it runs terrible, cold its ok.

I have pulled the timing cover and checked the crank/cam timing. I have pulled the cam sensor and used the cam sensor tool to insure that all is aligned. THe cam sensor originally wasn't causing it to run with a different firing order. All that has been fixed and its how it should be. I replaced the Ignition control module as the last one tested bad.

If the crank sensor was bad the tach wouldn't work, it does work. Im about ready to burn it down! A real money pit!

Any help is appriciated!

Thanks, Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Possibly a bad or poorly grounded DIS module would be my guess.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 AM
6th Gear Poster

Make sure your plug wires are correct. Alot of time the 4 and 6 get mixed up at the coil pack.

Looking at coil pack from the bumper side

1___2___3
5___6___4

Engine order from bumper

3____6
2____5
1____4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
^^^This is definitely something to think about. I have done it myself a couple of times, lol. It does pop back through the intake some too when crosswired. If that doesnt get it, I would start watching data and codes with a scanner to help point in some sort of direction, lol.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Only runs bad when warmed up? Would that be a "closed loop" issue? Like faulty O2 sensor, maybe?

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear Poster

is the maf clean?

Max
2014 Chevy SS
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6
1994 T-Bird LX 4.6
2014 Chevy SS Sedan
2013 Camaro SS
2009 Dodge Charger Daytona
1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible 455.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I would look at the maf or IAC but it it probably a vac leak, getting the tubes sealed up on those is difficult what did you seal them with? Did you use a spanner wrench on them or something else?
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkn600ctd View Post
is the maf clean?
yeah its been cleaned with sensor cleaner twice
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Possibly a bad or poorly grounded DIS module would be my guess.
The Plugs were all bad. I put a new set in. They all had grounded out when tested? Not too sure why they did that, how the link on all 6 had made contact inside the ceramic. The new plugs fixed the probelm, it ran fine.

I drove it for the first time since 04. Made it home and all was well. Fixed a couple other loose ends and was pretty happy that it was on its feet, finally.

I'm ready to take it for a spin and it wouldn's start. I observed similar symptoms as before but this time the tach dropped for second while it was running. I immediately unplugged the cam sensor and it fired up and ran fine.

I went and bought a new sensor and installed it. Nothing changed with it so i unhooked the new sensor and it started. It will only start with the sensor unhooked sometimes. When it does it shakes and sounds like its missing running really rich.

I took all the new plugs out and cleaned them very well. replaced them ensuring the firing order was correct and nothing changed.

Do you think the crank sensor is bad? Maybe a bad coil causing a weak spark? No vacuum leaks seen or heard?

One minute its a-ok then it falls on its face.

Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey50 View Post
The Plugs were all bad. I put a new set in. They all had grounded out when tested? Not too sure why they did that, how the link on all 6 had made contact inside the ceramic. The new plugs fixed the probelm, it ran fine.

I drove it for the first time since 04. Made it home and all was well. Fixed a couple other loose ends and was pretty happy that it was on its feet, finally.

I'm ready to take it for a spin and it wouldn's start. I observed similar symptoms as before but this time the tach dropped for second while it was running. I immediately unplugged the cam sensor and it fired up and ran fine.

I went and bought a new sensor and installed it. Nothing changed with it so i unhooked the new sensor and it started. It will only start with the sensor unhooked sometimes. When it does it shakes and sounds like its missing running really rich.

I took all the new plugs out and cleaned them very well. replaced them ensuring the firing order was correct and nothing changed.

Do you think the crank sensor is bad? Maybe a bad coil causing a weak spark? No vacuum leaks seen or heard?

One minute its a-ok then it falls on its face.

Thanks
Sounds like the cam sensor syncro stalk is installed wrong.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in