91 and 95 engine questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

91 and 95 engine questions

are the internals and heads the same on the 91 years and the 95?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Veteran Poster

No, not sure what the differences are but they are different.
Someone else will probably chime in with what exactly the differences are.

Phrum Steve

89 Thunderbird SC 3.8SC W/ Factory manual
http://photobucket.com/SCno1

94 Thunderbird LX 3.8 N/A Automatic
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...Bird%20No%203/
sold, sadly

95 Thunderbird SC deal pending
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
94/95 motors had full floating pistons, which are a little stronger. The heads were also a different casting, which is the same performance-wise, but the 94/95 heads are more prone to cracking. Also the valve cover bolt pattern is different, so whichever heads you use, you need to use matching year valve covers.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

the reason i ask is i know someone not far from me that has a ford reman from a 91,but i have a 95 and did not want to buy it unless they were the same,for some reason i just thought the only diference was the windage tray on the 94-95.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
It would work, but you would have to swap a few parts around. You would need to swap the timing cover and harmonic balancer from the 95 onto the 91 motor because the 95 uses a different crank sensor which will not work with the earlier timing cover. You could swap the windage tray over too, but you will need to use the 95 oil pickup tube, and if the 95 spun a bearing, I wouldn't do that because there could be bits of metal stuck in it, which could harm your new engine. The pistons in the 91 engine are not quite as strong, but it is nothing you'll ever notice.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Just to add a point or too.

The '94-'95 engine had a different oil pump than the earlier engines. I believe it was a high-volume pump. A few years ago I ordered a reman long block for my son's '94 SC. The oil pump came boxed separately. Looked up the part numbers and sure enough, it was for the '89-'93 application. And this reman engine was specifically for a '94-'95, had a different part number than the early engine available. No problem I thought. Then I figured that Ford wouldn't have spent a penny more for a different oil pump if there wasn't some reason. So I bought the later version and installed it on the engine. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it obviously did to Ford at the time.

What will make a difference is swapping the balancer. Here's the deal. If you reuse your stock '95 balancer by installing it on the new engine, the balancer will eventually fail. Not a question of if, but when. You need to buy a new '94-'95 style balancer. As far as I know, there are no OEM versions available. Unless things have changed in the past 4 years, there are no stock aftermarket replacements available. The only thing available is a high-performance balancer made by BHJ.

The summer/fall before my son's new engine purchase, his stock engine seized and toasted the lower end. I had just parted my '92 SC, so I gave him my engine (stock '92 with the head gaskets changed). We went through this whole balancer ordeal and eventually swapped on his original low-mileage balancer. The idea was to change it to a BHJ before the next summer. It only lasted a few months and sheared off the front of the crankshaft. Expensive lesson learned.

The BHJ is expensive, but alot cheaper than a new engine. And it is a high performance unit, so the cost is inline with similar versions for other engines.

Good luck. I wouldn't want to go through this again.

92 Sport -5.0L
Rolling on 17s, long tubes and a "To-Do" list
97 Sport -4.6L
Rolling on 17s, SOLD but not forgotten
15 Scat Pack -M6
Rolling on 20s... like that means something

------------------------
Non-Official Parts Hoarder
Cars, guitars, cigars, etc.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

i have a complete stock internally,95 engine that still runs fine,with 150,000 miles.I went through the balancer thing a couple years ago broke the crank bolt off.But was fortunate enough to ez out the bolt,i bought a performance balancer for her.I am only even considering the engine because at some point i am sure it will be time,and it is a good deal.BUT i really wanted to use a reman that was the same internally for the 95s.Again i dont mind reusing anything off of the 95 but if the pistons were upgraded some sort of way on the 94-95,or heads for that matter, that could be a deal breaker for me,im not sure.The person that has the engine says that there is no difference internally,but i am not sure if he knows for sure.I only have a manual from the 95 to check part numbers on the heads,pistons and so on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Good, at least you have the right balancer. I think the BHJ can also be reused in the future.

If you can get the reman engine cheap enough, I would get it. If the guy is trying to get what he paid for it then that's another story. At that point, personally, I would forego that engine and put the money towards one of XR7 Dave's rebuilds. For about the same price, you could get a much stronger setup from an SC expert builder than what a regular reman costs.

As far as the internal differences, I don't think it's a big deal. Again, I thought I was buying a replacement '94-'95 engine and they shipped me an '89-'93 oil pump? Have no idea what else might be inside of the block. Either way, I personally don't think either series engine is vastly different from each other in terms of durability. I know that my '92 was great for me from a strength standpoint. My son never complained about it either when he had it.

Performance wise, the later engine may respond well to an '89 5-speed cam. It's supposed to be the best of the bunch.

The reman sounds good if you can get it cheap enough.

92 Sport -5.0L
Rolling on 17s, long tubes and a "To-Do" list
97 Sport -4.6L
Rolling on 17s, SOLD but not forgotten
15 Scat Pack -M6
Rolling on 20s... like that means something

------------------------
Non-Official Parts Hoarder
Cars, guitars, cigars, etc.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

yea bhj is what i bought it slipped my mind,ok after talking to dave he said the engines are the same except for the timing chain cover/oil pump,and windage tray,oil pick up tube.internals are the same.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

thanks for the input guys.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Just to add a bit the 89-93 SC engines were rated at 8.2:1 static compression ratio while 94/5 SC engines were rated at 8.5:1 static compression ratio. Not much of a difference but worth noting IMO.

1995 SC (five speed)
Best E.T. [email protected]
Best MPH [email protected]
Best 60' 1.7489

1994 SC (automatic) [email protected]
On a stock long block with bolt on's
Sweet SC, lower13's coming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in