Need help locating the vacuum line for the bypass vacuum canister on an 89 SC - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Need help locating the vacuum line for the NA bypass vacuum actuator on an 89 SC

Where does the vacuum tube for the bypass actuator on the intake plenum come from?

After having the HG's done by a shop I found they didn't hook that tube back up and I'm trying to find it and plug it into the canister so 1) I don't have a vacuum leak, and 2) so the canister will be open when off throttle and close up when I get into the throttle.

TIA for your guidance.

Plat0/Chris

Platoribs House of SHO
95 SHO MTX 73K grn/tan
93 SHO MTX 175K blu/blk
92 SC M5R2 98K Red/Grey tweed ->Blk Cloth SC
89 SC M5R2 112K Blu/Blk Shiny Cobra's! *coming out party, May 20th 2012* Now with moar suspension, brakes and slave cylinder...
91 SC M5R2 100K blk/blk tweed building
86 Mercedes-Benz 300e

Last edited by Platoribs; 07-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
̇

Garage
Are you talking about the Charcoal Canister?..

The Charcoal Canister is located behind the passenger side front splash shield..The Vacuum lines for it are under the passenger side fender as well..

Hope that helps??

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Sorry, not canister, bypass actuator.

The pneumatic actuator that controls the butterfly for the naturally aspirated bypass to the Supercharger.

On my 92 there's a port coming right off the intake plenum, on the 89 it comes from someplace else, probably tucked down underneath the wiper cowels.

I'll tearing all the stuff tonight to see if I can find the line that is supposed to be feeding this actuator.

Problem is I had someone else do the work so I have to consider they scavanged the tube and hooked it up somewhere wrong, otherwise I may also have a vac leak as well as not having a vacuum source for the actuator.

Need to know where the line comes from and the path it takes over to the NA butterfly control actuator.

Moral to the story: Must learn to do all your own work on your SC or suffer both financially and quality of yield.

Platoribs House of SHO
95 SHO MTX 73K grn/tan
93 SHO MTX 175K blu/blk
89 SC M5R2 112K Blu/Blk Shiny Cobra's! *coming out party, May 20th 2012* Now with moar suspension, brakes and slave cylinder...
86 Mercedes-Benz 300e

Last edited by Platoribs; 07-29-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM
3rd Gear Poster

The 89 has a vacuum/boost solenoid that is controlled by the EEC over in the drivers corner of the engine bay. It was only done that year, my 90 did not have it.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

Tim

1994 Cougar 3.8L Supercharged
1990 Tbird Supercoupe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Not this ^

The vacuum servo/actuator attached to the butterfly that controls the NA bypass to the supercharger.

It is attached to the Intake Plenum.

Platoribs House of SHO
95 SHO MTX 73K grn/tan
93 SHO MTX 175K blu/blk
86 Mercedes-Benz 300e
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Yes exactly the later models had a tube from the vacuum can ( motor) to the intake plenum. The 89 has a EEC contolled solenoid in the middle of it. Again to be clear we are talking about the bypass valve

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

Tim

1994 Cougar 3.8L Supercharged
1990 Tbird Supercoupe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

OK so let me see if I got this right.

The solinoid beside the hydraulic clutch reservoir is where the vacuum comes from. I see the vacuum tube coming off that solinoid but it appears as if these guys ran it over the back of the engine over to the passenger side. Haven't traced that one yet cause I didn't know it was the source for the actuator. Will do that today and report back.

I will have to remove all the cowl, and perhaps the wiper motor assembly in order to chase own where they routed this tube. Probably not a bad idea, just wish I had more experience so I could recognize how its supposed to be.

Thanks for your advice I think I can sort this out now, just needed to know where the vacuum for that component (the bypass actuator) was supposed to come from.

Thanks Slick!

Platoribs House of SHO
95 SHO MTX 73K grn/tan
93 SHO MTX 175K blu/blk
86 Mercedes-Benz 300e

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in